carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 02-13-2020, 12:43 PM   #31
GimpyMcFarlan
Confused

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2013 X3 Gray/Mojave
We have a 2018 Subaru Crosstrek with the CVT. We test drove a manual version but my wife decided to go with the CVT.
Old 02-13-2020, 01:20 PM   #32
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by GimpyMcFarlan View Post
We have a 2018 Subaru Crosstrek with the CVT. We test drove a manual version but my wife decided to go with the CVT.
How come? Other thoughts on power/handling/size/reliability?
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 01:42 PM   #33
clyde
Chief title editor

Not sure if the CVT in the Crosstrek is the same that was in our 2013 Oubtack, but...

I did not hate the transmission. It was the first CVT that seemed to work like a CVT is supposed to and it was pretty good at it. Much, much, much better than earlier CVTs in other cars and (like planet and solar systems in front of any CVT Nissan has done).

And everything was great until at six years and 130k it threw a bunch of transmission codes and learned that when it starts throwing those codes, it's about done. When it goes, it's not really fixable because there are no parts. It's not cost-effectively replaceable because there are no reman units. Used ones are really hard to find (I looked and enlisted a few other people to help), and when you do find them, it's like taking a second shot in Russian Roulette without spinning the cylinder since all the Subaru CVTs of that generation are likely to go bust. To make used ones even more enticing, when they are findable, they're almost as expensive as new ones, which are about $3k.

Subaru loves them so much, they've extended the warranties on that generation and the previous one and have special hotlines setup for them.

But I'm not bitter.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 04:44 PM   #34
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Not sure if the CVT in the Crosstrek is the same that was in our 2013 Oubtack, but...

I did not hate the transmission. It was the first CVT that seemed to work like a CVT is supposed to and it was pretty good at it. Much, much, much better than earlier CVTs in other cars and (like planet and solar systems in front of any CVT Nissan has done).

And everything was great until at six years and 130k it threw a bunch of transmission codes and learned that when it starts throwing those codes, it's about done. When it goes, it's not really fixable because there are no parts. It's not cost-effectively replaceable because there are no reman units. Used ones are really hard to find (I looked and enlisted a few other people to help), and when you do find them, it's like taking a second shot in Russian Roulette without spinning the cylinder since all the Subaru CVTs of that generation are likely to go bust. To make used ones even more enticing, when they are findable, they're almost as expensive as new ones, which are about $3k.

Subaru loves them so much, they've extended the warranties on that generation and the previous one and have special hotlines setup for them.

But I'm not bitter.
I'm not sure VW has a better track record. I guess I should drive a Subaru wagon, because I'd really prefer that size. But, I'm enamored of the stick idea to make it moderately more interesting. Then, I'd really have everything backwards--the sporty car with an auto, and the boring car with a stick. The secret agenda, though, is passing a stick down to my son, hoping he would need to concentrate more on driving more than in an automatic....
Old 02-13-2020, 05:20 PM   #35
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
The secret agenda, though, is passing a stick down to my son, hoping he would need to concentrate more on driving more than in an automatic....
I know I’m in the minority on the board but I’d rather have my kids drive an automatic and be able to concentrate on the road and other drivers instead of having to worry about how to drive a manual.

Today the other drivers out there are so distracted by their phones, phone calls, etc I really did not want to put another obstacle in the way of actually driving.

I did teach my son who was my first child to get his license how to drive a manual but his first car was an Automatic (actually a DCT)
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 07:46 PM   #36
GimpyMcFarlan
Confused

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2013 X3 Gray/Mojave
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
How come? Other thoughts on power/handling/size/reliability?

She was simply ready to let go of constantly manually shifting a transmission. We test drove a manual and both liked it. Not as tight and precise as BMW manuals but it was miles better than the manual in the Corolla she was driving. The 2018 received a little more horsepower which helps with acceleration. It handles more like a sedan than my X3 and I think it actually has more cargo space. The size is perfect for us. Cleveland roads are terrible and the suspension / tire combination does a fabulous job handling them. We have had no issues but Subaru did have several critical recalls recently that impacted several of their models. Our local dealer fixed all three over a weekend and provided a loaner to us.

Old 02-13-2020, 07:54 PM   #37
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimpyMcFarlan View Post
She was simply ready to let go of constantly manually shifting a transmission. We test drove a manual and both liked it. Not as tight and precise as BMW manuals but it was miles better than the manual in the Corolla she was driving. The 2018 received a little more horsepower which helps with acceleration. It handles more like a sedan than my X3 and I think it actually has more cargo space. The size is perfect for us. Cleveland roads are terrible and the suspension / tire combination does a fabulous job handling them. We have had no issues but Subaru did have several critical recalls recently that impacted several of their models. Our local dealer fixed all three over a weekend and provided a loaner to us.

Good info. Thank you!
Old 02-13-2020, 08:31 PM   #38
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I know I’m in the minority on the board but I’d rather have my kids drive an automatic and be able to concentrate on the road and other drivers instead of having to worry about how to drive a manual.

Today the other drivers out there are so distracted by their phones, phone calls, etc I really did not want to put another obstacle in the way of actually driving.

I did teach my son who was my first child to get his license how to drive a manual but his first car was an Automatic (actually a DCT)
I disagree with this. Having a manual forces you to pay attention to driving. It also makes it a lot more difficult to text and drive.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:46 PM   #39
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
I had a new Subaru Forester for a day in 2018 and hated the CVT. For reference, depending on application and tuning, I do not hate the 8-speed ZF auto-box. To each his own...
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:51 PM   #40
JST

Totally agree with Nicks take. Finding a manual for the kid to learn on in 2023 is going to be a pain but I will do it.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote