carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 09-03-2023, 09:53 AM   #11
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
When's the last time you got the advertised MPG in a gas car? The EPA range test for an EV uses the same test cycles as a gas car -- and those never match your reality.

The only other comment on range estimates is that the route planner in the car does a pretty good job of estimating use for each drive -- and has 2 very useful features: A) gives a round-trip estimate at the bottom (you have to look for it a bit though), and B) it will route you to superchargers if you can't make it to your destination...

Hertz tends to have the smaller battery Teslas, so they have a ~265ish EPA range at 100% charge (and the new battery chemistry in these allows 100% charge all the time...). If you were in stop-and-go freeway traffic and local roads the majority of the time, you'll likely see 240ish real-world range. If you have open roads and drive 70-75 most of the time, expect 200ish...
I agree with you about real world. That’s why I reported out what I’m seeing for ICE powered cars. Lots of heavy traffic but also lots of high speed cruising.

Can you or JST speak to how much range you lose going 85mph versus 75mph?

LA traffic is really fast at non rush hour.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 10:06 AM   #12
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
When's the last time you got the advertised MPG in a gas car? .
I never thought to look up what our cars mpg was rated at but your question had me curious … just looked and our Audi Q7 6 cylinder is rated at 23 mpg Highway (unless I went to the wrong website) and we average 26 mpg on road trips

Strange ….
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 11:13 AM   #13
JST

Since drag increases with the square of speed, you do get a noticeable efficiency and range hit at 85 v 75. Unfortunately I can’t really quantify it from personal experience because there aren’t too many places around here where you can cruise at 85.

This thread suggests maybe a 25 percent hit? https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thre...80-mph.266680/

But this is why I’d rent the car and see how it does for you.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 12:31 PM   #14
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Since drag increases with the square of speed, you do get a noticeable efficiency and range hit at 85 v 75. Unfortunately I can’t really quantify it from personal experience because there aren’t too many places around here where you can cruise at 85.

This thread suggests maybe a 25 percent hit? https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thre...80-mph.266680/

But this is why I’d rent the car and see how it does for you.
Yep. Of course. Which is why I need to understand the scale of the loss in range.

The difference in the (old) GT3 chugging along at 70-75mph in sixth versus 85 to……120mph is like 18mpg versus the low teens.

Pushing a lot more air.

I’d not change my driving style hence this beta test. I’ll try to do it this week.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote