carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 06-07-2017, 10:08 PM   #81
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

First mission creep of the project: power steering high pressure line. The U-shaped metal portion has enough surface rust to make me think that it'll crumble to bits when I reinstall. Of course, that leads to the other power steering hoses, and maybe the fluid reservoir, and maybe...

Oh, and in the process of disconnecting the ball joints, I've already torn one boot that I was hoping to keep. Guess we'll see how those generic boots fit.
blee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:14 PM   #82
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee View Post
First mission creep of the project: power steering high pressure line. The U-shaped metal portion has enough surface rust to make me think that it'll crumble to bits when I reinstall. Of course, that leads to the other power steering hoses, and maybe the fluid reservoir, and maybe...

Oh, and in the process of disconnecting the ball joints, I've already torn one boot that I was hoping to keep. Guess we'll see how those generic boots fit.
If you don't want to do it yourself, there's this guy named John V with a thing for E46s...

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:19 PM   #83
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee View Post
I have one of those generic boots on the inner joint. No idea if it's actually working properly, but it seems fine.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 11:38 AM   #84
clyde
Chief title editor

I was just looking at E46 M3s on autotrader. Pricing on these things is, um, interesting. Even without looking at the EAG cars.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 11:59 AM   #85
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
The E92's seem to be getting a little lower as well. I don't think they have reached the bottom yet.
Old 06-08-2017, 08:07 PM   #86
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
I was just looking at E46 M3s on autotrader. Pricing on these things is, um, interesting. Even without looking at the EAG cars.
Takes a little patience and flexibility to get a good car at a good price.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:53 PM   #87
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

Some progress made tonight.

-My drop light is old-school incandescent. It works great with the shock-resistant bulb, but I found that my sweat will cause the surface to smoke. Maybe I should get an LED version.

-Tonight I finally learned the most reasonable way to separate ball joints. I used one of those hinged ball joint separators to put pressure on the joint, then whacked the spindle about the joint a few times to pop it loose. No torn boots tonight, no cursing while wedging (and then very forcefully de-wedging) a pickle fork. Stupid easy. Wish I'd figured that out 11 years ago with my E34 525i; it would've saved me roughly a bajillion dollars from a last-minute trip to a gouger of a shop.

-Speaking of torn boots, probably doesn't matter that I did that to the left tie rod end last night. I feel like both tie rods could use replacing anyway. I was hoping to put that off until I settled on a spring/shock package, but I guess I can deal with it now, along with the already-purchased front control arms and bushings.

-The high pressure power steering hose looks pretty bad, but the rest of the steering hoses and the reservoir all look okay. I may leave those alone for now. They seem not-so-hard to replace in the future, anyway. Or maybe I'll just change them. Ugh, I dunno. Any thoughts?

I'll ponder these things during my business trip next week. Gotta figure out exactly what to put in that shopping cart, beyond some of the various clips/fasteners that have succumbed to old age.

(Shitty photos are shitty. Sorry for the poor quality, and don't mind the fact that my garage doubles as agricultural staging area.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4331.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	2.23 MB
ID:	11322  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4332.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	11323  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4333.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	2.68 MB
ID:	11324  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4334.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	2.62 MB
ID:	11325  
Old 06-09-2017, 12:27 AM   #88
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

Bonus pictures of the high pressure line. At second glance, the line actually looks okay beyond some corrosion of the paint/surface. No sign of leakage, which supposedly is an issue with this particular part. I'll probably replace it anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4335.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	2.23 MB
ID:	11326  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4336.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	1.99 MB
ID:	11327  
Old 06-09-2017, 07:21 AM   #89
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Damn.

What are your plans with this vehicle? Are you doing a total overhaul?
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:51 AM   #90
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
If the line still feels okay, I would most likely clean the PS hose and hit it with some rust converter - unless it was going to be pretty cheap to replace.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote