carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 05-08-2024, 07:47 PM   #1
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Good riddance

Chevy Malibu. Possibly the worst rental car I’ve ever driven, along with a Toyota Camry.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 10:01 PM   #2
SCA
Jaded

I once had a Chevy Impala and the seats were so bad that our backs were jacked up for 3 to 4 weeks. I recall the next time I rented from Enterprise they wanted to put me in another Chevy Impala and I said, “Please put me in anything, but that…”
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 02:39 PM   #3
robg
Carmudgeon

In the world of bad rental cars, I'd rank the Malibu mid-pack personally. Not great, but I didn't find it to be too objectionable (ex: Chrysler 200, Most Nissans, base model Jetta, and certain Toyotas are all worse in my experience). One thing I like about Enterprise is that they generally allow you to "walk the lot" and pick an alternative out.

I've also gotten "upgraded" a few times and in retrospect probably would've just been better off in a Malibu surprisingly. For example, I got a BMW 530i once where the driver seat foam was complete collapsed making it very uncomfortable. Also to a Porsche Macan once and it had the faux-suede seats that I found very hot and uncomfortable (and the 4 cylinder was very laggy).
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 03:22 PM   #4
nate
Oh, are they?

Carmudgeonly Ride: S4
I tend to agree with robg.

I've had a rented Malibu a couple times and always thought "meh, this is a boring car." But I didn't think it was particularly offensive in any way.
Old 05-09-2024, 04:39 PM   #5
kognito
older fart than ZBB

I think you need to consider generations. I grew up with a guy who owned a pretty sweet 67 in an Ice Blue paint job. (not sure what Chevy called light blue in 67) This was in 1974

Sure, it didn't handle like the last version, but with its Crager Mag wheels and headers it sure was a head turner. No emissions, just horsepower and torque!
Old 05-09-2024, 05:43 PM   #6
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
One thing I like about Enterprise is that they generally allow you to "walk the lot" and pick an alternative out.
That is the best, I drive my family crazy when picking out the rental, I go to a few different ones and try to get the newest, low mileage one available…. At this point my wife knows that I need to find the right one so she is ok with it or at least pretends to be

Also lately I have been gravitating towards the Hyundai’s and Kia’s, I like them.

I had a Genesis G70 rental and loved that car.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 06:16 PM   #7
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
In the world of bad rental cars, I'd rank the Malibu mid-pack personally. Not great, but I didn't find it to be too objectionable (ex: Chrysler 200, Most Nissans, base model Jetta, and certain Toyotas are all worse in my experience). One thing I like about Enterprise is that they generally allow you to "walk the lot" and pick an alternative out.

I've also gotten "upgraded" a few times and in retrospect probably would've just been better off in a Malibu surprisingly. For example, I got a BMW 530i once where the driver seat foam was complete collapsed making it very uncomfortable. Also to a Porsche Macan once and it had the faux-suede seats that I found very hot and uncomfortable (and the 4 cylinder was very laggy).
Well, that's funny, I might have been thinking about the Chrysler 200. LOL. And I have also had a lousy base Jetta.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 06:16 PM   #8
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
That is the best, I drive my family crazy when picking out the rental, I go to a few different ones and try to get the newest, low mileage one available…. At this point my wife knows that I need to find the right one so she is ok with it or at least pretends to be

Also lately I have been gravitating towards the Hyundai’s and Kia’s, I like them.

I had a Genesis G70 rental and loved that car.
Haha- yep I'm the same way. My wife just rolls her eyes and resigns herself to me spending time walking the lot. My go to for a while was to see if I could get a V8 Dodge Charger (they'd typically rent them for the same rate as the base V6 if they had one). That being said- she can be picky too. When we went to Italy, the rental company originally gave us a diesel Tiguan. She took an almost immediate dislike to it cause it was slow, loud, and uncomfortable. She ended up talking them into giving us a BMW iX instead - which was pretty nice.

Been wanting to try out a G70. A friend of mine has one and loves it. The interior certainly seems to punch above its weight price-wise.
Old 05-09-2024, 08:45 PM   #9
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Haha- yep I'm the same way. My wife just rolls her eyes and resigns herself to me spending time walking the lot. My go to for a while was to see if I could get a V8 Dodge Charger (they'd typically rent them for the same rate as the base V6 if they had one). That being said- she can be picky too. When we went to Italy, the rental company originally gave us a diesel Tiguan. She took an almost immediate dislike to it cause it was slow, loud, and uncomfortable. She ended up talking them into giving us a BMW iX instead - which was pretty nice.

Been wanting to try out a G70. A friend of mine has one and loves it. The interior certainly seems to punch above its weight price-wise.
You had the electric SUV BMW iX as a rental … that is so cool, I would be worried about charging it, how was the experience in Europe with an electric car ?

My wife and I are going to Greece this summer and we were able to only get a Nissan SUV, no idea of the model name because they don’t make it here but I think/hope it’s a mid size one.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 10:20 PM   #10
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
You had the electric SUV BMW iX as a rental … that is so cool, I would be worried about charging it, how was the experience in Europe with an electric car ?

My wife and I are going to Greece this summer and we were able to only get a Nissan SUV, no idea of the model name because they don’t make it here but I think/hope it’s a mid size one.

I thought it was going to be a disaster but we lucked out in that both hotels we stayed at had ev charging! But from what I could tell the public charging infrastructure there was not good in general

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk