carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 08-20-2023, 04:00 PM   #11
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
Not attempting to piss in your Cheerios, but be advised that all the variants of the N63 have known, costly issues. You do not want to own one out of warranty. My parents have had several and in fact they just purchased the extended BMW platinum warranty on my mother’s 2020 X5 M50i yesterday. $7300 with TN sales tax.
I have heard about the N63, but people swear that over the years it has gone from being a nightmare to downright reliable.

https://bmwtuning.co/bmw-n63-vs-n63t...tu2-vs-n63tu3/

EDIT: Just ran into this post as well. Lots of them like this. https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...2&postcount=13

Last edited by FC; 08-20-2023 at 04:24 PM.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 04:12 PM   #12
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Not attempting to piss in your Cheerios, but be advised that all the variants of the N63 have known, costly issues. You do not want to own one out of warranty. My parents have had several and in fact they just purchased the extended BMW platinum warranty on my mother’s 2020 X5 M50i yesterday. $7300 with TN sales tax.
I definitely agree you need a warranty, owning any of the German cars without it is a bit scary, How many months and miles on the warranty did they purchase and what is their current mileage ?

I’m about to purchase an extended fidelity platinum warranty on the Q7 and I am in the low $4k range but we are talking about another 5 years and ours has 28k miles
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 04:19 PM   #13
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I definitely agree you need a warranty, owning any of the German cars without it is a bit scary,
Well, the plan is to go CPO. I hope to buy a recent enough car to get me 2-3 years of warranty. I would then consider adding additional warranty as the CPO warranty gets close to running out.
Old 08-20-2023, 04:33 PM   #14
nate
Oh, are they?

Carmudgeonly Ride: S4
This car in Dallas seems to check all the boxes

https://www.bmwofdallas.com/certifie...cpo.bmwusa.com
Old 08-20-2023, 05:25 PM   #15
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate View Post

That does look pretty great. Only option of note that is missing is the DHP, but it's pretty good.

It would have helped (them and me) to detail the car and and not take interior photos in direct sunlight.
Old 08-20-2023, 06:31 PM   #16
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate View Post

Good looking car. Especially since the next gen is so fucking weird looking.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 07:37 PM   #17
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
I have heard about the N63, but people swear that over the years it has gone from being a nightmare to downright reliable.

https://bmwtuning.co/bmw-n63-vs-n63t...tu2-vs-n63tu3/

EDIT: Just ran into this post as well. Lots of them like this. https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...2&postcount=13

There is a reason why BMW sells N63s for less than $5k. They tend to sell a lot of them. A friend that is a former BMW tech turned Porsche tech in the past year absolutely despises the N63. He has replaced his fair share of them including its sibling, the S63

I had the E39 540 (M62) serviced at my local dealer about a month ago. One of the techs that has been there since the E39s were new informed me after servicing it that he has disliked every BMW V8 produced as per him they cannot produce one that does not have issues.

Edit: I do want to state that generally N63s tend not to exhibit any issues until 60-75,000 miles. Obviously YMMV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I definitely agree you need a warranty, owning any of the German cars without it is a bit scary, How many months and miles on the warranty did they purchase and what is their current mileage ?

I’m about to purchase an extended fidelity platinum warranty on the Q7 and I am in the low $4k range but we are talking about another 5 years and ours has 28k miles

It added an additional 3 years/75k miles. It currently has 12k. BMW’s platinum warranty is basically a bumper to bumper warranty, similar to the factory coverage.

Last edited by SCA; 08-23-2023 at 11:45 AM.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 09:29 PM   #18
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
There is a reason why BMW sells N63s for less than $5k. They tend sell a lot of them. A friend that is a former BMW tech turned Porsche tech in the past year absolutely despises the N63. He has replaced his fair share of them including its sibling, the S63

I had the E39 540 (M62) serviced at my local dealer about a month ago. One of the techs that has been there since the E39s were new informed me after serving it that he has disliked every BMW V8 produced as per him they cannot produce one that does not have issues.

Edit: I do want to state that generally N63s tend not to exhibit any issues until 60-75,000 miles. Obviously YMMV.

It added an additional 3 years/75k miles. It currently has 12k. BMW’s platinum warranty is basically a bumper to bumper warranty, similar to the factory coverage.
Well, that’s disappointing. If the engine is so bad why are V8 BMWs not basically free?

I’m not doubting what your tech is saying, I am only curious if those comments and experiences are calibrated to post 2018 or even post 2015 V8s, when massive improvements were allegedly made.

I still have not made a decision and by all accounts I’ve heard that the 540 is pretty darn good. I still need to drive them both.

All that said, I’m not against getting the extended warranty.
Old 08-20-2023, 09:48 PM   #19
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Hey FC, my schedule is pretty crazy these days (down in CT a lot for work) but if you don’t find one locally to check out in next few weeks, maybe we can meet up at some point. I have a 2020 with DHP.

I agree with your though - I hear all the doom and gloom on the V8 reliability but truth is there aren’t as many examples of the TU2/TU3 versions with higher mileage yet so it’s hard to say what will happen. I’m sure they will have some occasional issues but do think it’s likely BMW has improved a lot of the weak spots.

I got +5yrs extra coverage for my X5 and will likely do same for M550 soon for piece of mind. I’ve posted before about the Fidelity warranty I got for the X5 - would have preferred the BMW plan but it maxes out at +3yrs additional and is quite expensive. You can get much longer terms from Fidelity (varies based on year/current mileage but think they will go up to +10yrs) at much lower cost per year of coverage and it’s a very solid 3rd party warranty.
Old 08-20-2023, 10:58 PM   #20
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
Hey FC, my schedule is pretty crazy these days (down in CT a lot for work) but if you don’t find one locally to check out in next few weeks, maybe we can meet up at some point. I have a 2020 with DHP.

I agree with your though - I hear all the doom and gloom on the V8 reliability but truth is there aren’t as many examples of the TU2/TU3 versions with higher mileage yet so it’s hard to say what will happen. I’m sure they will have some occasional issues but do think it’s likely BMW has improved a lot of the weak spots.

I got +5yrs extra coverage for my X5 and will likely do same for M550 soon for piece of mind. I’ve posted before about the Fidelity warranty I got for the X5 - would have preferred the BMW plan but it maxes out at +3yrs additional and is quite expensive. You can get much longer terms from Fidelity (varies based on year/current mileage but think they will go up to +10yrs) at much lower cost per year of coverage and it’s a very solid 3rd party warranty.
Thanks for the feedback! I had forgotten about your Fidelity warranty post.

I also do appreciate the offer and may take you up on it if I don’t get a chance to try DHP.