carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 10-05-2012, 10:02 PM   #21
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
X plan base is $23.2.

X plan on the ST3 is $27.5 and most deals seems to be near there.

The ST3 is the everything-but-moonroof package.

X plan pricing above includes destination plus the max admin and doc fees allowable with X plan.
Where did you get that info??

I have x-plan open in another tab, and only ST5 is listed

just took this screen shot
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	xplan.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	7971  
Old 10-05-2012, 10:15 PM   #22
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
Where did you get that info??

I have x-plan open in another tab, and only ST5 is listed

just took this screen shot
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...XNOaWF5eXBYN1E

What you are looking at, written in English, would be Ford Focus ST, 5 door. That's the model, not e package.

The price that shows looks like the base car (ST1 package, code 200A) without destination, or the allowable admin and doc fees. Add those and it's within a couple hundred of what I posted above. ST2 is the medium option package (code 201A) and ST3 (202A) is the fully loaded minus sunroof package.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:43 PM   #23
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Yeah, been on the ford site and realized that.

Kinda surprised that xplan is available right away for the ST, usually there is a waiting time for x-plan on "hot" cars.

Clyde, you have access to a plan pin number?

If not I can help
Old 10-05-2012, 10:44 PM   #24
clyde
Chief title editor

Built after going through the Ford partners site (note it includes the paint as well as ST3).

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 10-05-2012, 10:47 PM   #25
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
Yeah, been on the ford site and realized that.

Kinda surprised that xplan is available right away for the ST, usually there is a waiting time for x-plan on "hot" cars.

Clyde, you have access to a plan pin number?

If not I can help
Thanks. I don't have a valid PIN right now, but know a few people. If I need it, I'll let you know.

X Plan is often restricted early on for cars like this, but Ford has said all along that production will not be limited and they will sell as many as people want to buy (supplier issues not withstanding).

Not every dealer is accepting x plan purchases on it right now. Most, but not all.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 10-06-2012, 12:41 AM   #26
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
As I've continued thinking about the car, the more I've thought that I would classify the power as "okay." A little worsening of the power to weight ratio might put it firmly in the "too slow" category for me. It's not like we're talking about a car in the same weight class making 400 hp and 400 tq.

For the type of event that was, it doesn't take a lot to imagine that the cars may have had a slightly hotter tune than what will be on production cars. If they're a little heavier, too...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Acceleration numbers are perhaps a tad disappointing
So, R&T got a 5.9 0-60 time and a 14.6 in the quarter. Automobile, in their comparison vs the GTi reported 6.2. 6.6 from Edmunds.

The faster cars were preproduction and the slower one was from off the lot. It may have been super hot when Edmunds tested and it was brand new where the others may have had miles on them.

Weights seem to be pretty consistent at mid 32xx. Everyone raves about handling.

I didn't expect to like it before I drove it, but I did,..and haven't been able to get it put of my head.

Everyone pans the myford touch stuff...but you have to get it with full leather, seat heaters and HID.

Figure I will always be wanting more go. After the RX-8, I promised myself the next car would have torque (the Armada and Miata don't count). This has nearly twice what the RX-8 had, but it's not what I meant.

If I buy a winter wheel/tire package now, that would mean I *have* to buy the car, right?

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 10-06-2012, 01:29 AM   #27
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
I sat in one while waiting to drive a Mustang. Felt nice to sit in visibility, etc. Really felt a lot more comfy and proper than the mustang... Very euro. 32xx is kinda high though.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:53 AM   #28
JST

Edmunds got a 6.3 with one foot of rollout, which may be the method the other mags are using.

I'm sure there will rapidly be ways of turning the wick up, if that's your thing.

32xx is heavy, and 180 lbs more than the GTI is eye-opening...but then again they tested a no option three door GTI against the full boat ST. Weight difference against a 5 door would be smaller.

I was most surprised by how much they panned the MZ3.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:15 AM   #29
kognito
older fart than ZBB

One thing I learned when towing heavy trailers is I don't believe magazine reports on car weights.

What I do beleive is the delivery invoice. Every car/truck delivered to a dealer has the actual weight written on the dealer's invoice. (the truck driver has to know the exact weight of stuff he is hauling)

Go to a dealer, find the ST you would buy, tell salesman to get you the delivery weight.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:25 AM   #30
clyde
Chief title editor

I'm more confident that the cars we drove were in the same weight class as production. I'm not as confident on the power. The limited test results aren't helping there. Rollout or not doesn't matter so much if its consistent from source to ounce and car to car. Assuming rollout for all, 6.2 vs 6.3 isn't a concern. 5.9 vs 6.3 when the preproduction turbo car is supplied to a magazine is the faster one compared to a car bought off the lot raises an eyebrow.

Is it going to matter in regular street driving? Probably not. I think it's more about my comfort level at this point than anything.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?