carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 09-06-2012, 03:22 PM   #1
clyde
Chief title editor

Focus ST curb wait

Kinda hard figuring out what a Focus ST is supposed to weigh...could be anything from 2,907 to 3,3xx depending on what you want to believe. Ford isn't particularly forthcoming.

ST3 pacakges are late availability (estimated Q4 2012) due to supply constraints on HIDs and Recaros.

I know what a pre-prodcution car drives like, but the idea of the car I drove being at/near the 2900 figure and a production ST3 being closer to the 33xx figure is a little scary given the limited power...which also assumes the cars weren't making more power than production.

Just sayin...

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:39 PM   #2
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Kinda hard figuring out what a Focus ST is supposed to weigh...could be anything from 2,907 to 3,3xx depending on what you want to believe. Ford isn't particularly forthcoming.

ST3 pacakges are late availability (estimated Q4 2012) due to supply constraints on HIDs and Recaros.

I know what a pre-prodcution car drives like, but the idea of the car I drove being at/near the 2900 figure and a production ST3 being closer to the 33xx figure is a little scary given the limited power...which also assumes the cars weren't making more power than production.

Just sayin...

I'm not sure what the provenance of those various figures are, but I would be very surprised if a car gained 400 lbs from pre-production to production. And I'm not even sure the cars we drove qualify as "pre-production;" I bet that they are essentially identical to what will come off the line, bar very minor trim and option issues.

My guess is that the Focus ST weighs in the 3100-3200 range, and that that is what the cars that we drove weighed.

This C/D test sheet gives the as-tested weight of an SE sedan as 2965 lbs.

http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...focus-se-1.pdf

I'm sure that the ST will weigh more (hatchback + bigger wheels + turbo etc), but not 400 lbs more.

Edit:

For reference, here's a hatchback SE, which they weighed as 2982 lbs.

http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...rack-sheet.pdf
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:20 PM   #3
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
yeah when I was looking at the base level focus I could not find a official curb weight anywhere from ford kind of odd

not a fan of how they package stuff with the ST, prefer recaros and xenons as standalone options, make you bundle with a bunch of tech junk
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:33 PM   #4
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I'm not sure what the provenance of those various figures are, but I would be very surprised if a car gained 400 lbs from pre-production to production. And I'm not even sure the cars we drove qualify as "pre-production;" I bet that they are essentially identical to what will come off the line, bar very minor trim and option issues.

My guess is that the Focus ST weighs in the 3100-3200 range, and that that is what the cars that we drove weighed.

This C/D test sheet gives the as-tested weight of an SE sedan as 2965 lbs.

http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...focus-se-1.pdf

I'm sure that the ST will weigh more (hatchback + bigger wheels + turbo etc), but not 400 lbs more.

Edit:

For reference, here's a hatchback SE, which they weighed as 2982 lbs.

http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...rack-sheet.pdf
The ones we drove were pre-production enough that they will be destroyed if they haven't been already (according to the papers from the glove box I went through when we were in the car) for whatever that may be worth.

As I've continued thinking about the car, the more I've thought that I would classify the power as "okay." A little worsening of the power to weight ratio might put it firmly in the "too slow" category for me. It's not like we're talking about a car in the same weight class making 400 hp and 400 tq.

For the type of event that was, it doesn't take a lot to imagine that the cars may have had a slightly hotter tune than what will be on production cars. If they're a little heavier, too...

While possible, it would not have been to Ford's advantage to provide heavier and slower cars. Providing lighter and more powerful cars, OTOH...

Again, I have no reason to believe that the cars we drove are not representative of the car I could buy sometime soon, but as I started looking for details on some things, the idea got in my head as I realized the margin is pretty small.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:36 PM   #5
ff

That's weight too heavy.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:40 AM   #6
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
As Tested Curb Weight (lb.): 3,251
http://www.insideline.com/ford/focus...rack-test.html
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:47 AM   #7
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
Was just coming here to post that.

Acceleration numbers are perhaps a tad disappointing, but it looks like the chassis has survived completely intact:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL
Handling:

Skid pad: Readily rotates off throttle, which allows complete freedom of line adjustment here. This car would be brilliant on a road course. Communicative and lively. Fun. Stability off yields best numbers here.

Slalom: Eagerness to rotate on the skid pad hurts this car in the slalom. Still, its manners are superb if you're willing to drive it hard. Best time in "Sport" mode. Tuned to rotate so don't bother turning ESC off. Stability control and suspension engineers tuned this car for drivers who understand.
Sounds fun.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:55 AM   #8
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
From the comments:
Quote:
0 to 60 in 6.6 seconds? 1 /4 mile in 15 sec at 93 mph? $29,000!!! WTF? Why is it so slow and expensive. Why the hell would anyone consider this when a Mustang GT can be had for a few grand more.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:57 AM   #9
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
From the comments:
Mustang does not have four doors and a hatchback. And, realistically, a Mustang is 10K more, similarly equipped.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:06 PM   #10
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
a Mustang is 10K more, similarly equipped.
Is that 10k on the sticker, or actual transaction cost?
bren is offline   Reply With Quote