carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 10-02-2007, 02:27 PM   #1
dredmo
Chillaxin'

Carmudgeonly Ride: '05 C50, '04 F-150
2008 Honda Accord Coupe

Going to test drive a sedan today. My wife wants the new coupe; however, they will not arrive at the dealer in the configuration we want until later this month.

We're looking at the 6 speed, V-6 without VCM. It is supposed to handle and drive quite nice for what it is, and I'll find that out soon. I talked to a salesman who has driven 4 v-6 models, auto/manual and sedan/coupe. He says the standard sway bars and overall profile differences make the coupe a much better driver's car, but there is a close relationship between it and the sedan. I'll post my thoughts on the sedan here - not that anyone cares a whole lot about Accords.

It took my wife a while to talk me out of a BMW or an Audi, but now that she has, she is waffling. I think in the end, we want something reliable and less expensive than the BMW/Audi route would have as go.

Some baseline specs on the 6MT V6 Coupe...
~30K, 268HP, 248 Torque, ~25MPG, 3446lbs. (120 lbs. lighter than the auto...), 100% Safety package installed standard on all models.

Here is a fact sheet. Like food and wine, presentation is only a fraction of what is important - how it feels will determine the sale. I'll find out soon...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2008-accord-coupe-factsheet.pdf (446.5 KB, 420 views)
dredmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 02:37 PM   #2
ff

They actually have a MT V6, huh? Those don't exist in FL, unfortunately. If we're really lucky and the planets are aligned, our local dealership would have one 4 cylinder MT available.

The salesperson is correct, the coupe has always had a more nicely buttoned-down suspension. The difference between the coupe and sedan is quite noticeable in this respect. I haven't driven the new Accord, but I would expect the same to still hold true.

Please do post your thoughts here after the test drive.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 02:40 PM   #3
dredmo
Chillaxin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff View Post
They actually have a MT V6, huh? Those don't exist in FL, unfortunately. If we're really lucky and the planets are aligned, our local dealership would have one 4 cylinder MT available.

The salesperson is correct, the coupe has always had a more nicely buttoned-down suspension. The difference between the coupe and sedan is quite noticeable in this respect. I haven't driven the new Accord, but I would expect the same to still hold true.

Please do post your thoughts here after the test drive.
V6 6MT models are apparently in short supply. Not sure why, but this is the only model without VCM (Variable Cylinder Management). This system converts the V6 into a I3 or a V4 or a V6 depending on the load. It is nice for the 60 mile commuter looking for an extra 5 MPG, but for me, it just adds another layer after the DBW between myself and the road. I'm stoked to drive it to say the least.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:07 PM   #4
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
For what it's worth I've been very surprised by our BMW in terms of reliability. No problems in the 30K+ miles we've had the ZHP and the car is now ticking over 78,000 total miles. So far so good. I really hope it continues to be just as reliable in the future.

The maintenance items I've had to do weren't too bad . . . $150-ish for a DIY Inspection II (All I did was what was recommended by BMW, no gear oil changes). And $300-ish for a brake pad, rotor, and wear sensor change. Oh, and $10 for a new oil filter element from BMW (plus Mobile 1 0W-40 oil from Schucks) for the last oil change.

Note, this doesn't include the damage I did when i f'ed up the front bumper backing off the ramps for the Inspection II stuff.

The steering seems good so far and I've not really noticed "problems" with the suspension stuff being worn out (supposedly the FLCA bushings should be replaced every 40k or so ). Maybe it's a bit looser but the car still feels tight to me so I'm not complaining.

However, we'll need new tires before too long which will probably be more expensive that what would be needed for a Honda. Looking at probably close to $1k on tires, no? . . . 18" 35/40 series on stagger sized rims.

So if you're wife is waffling on the no Bimmer stance and you still want one I offer this as another bit of info to feed into your decision making process.

"Jeep is the only true American sports car*" - Enzo Ferrari

* Or something to that effect.
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 08:24 PM   #5
dredmo
Chillaxin'

I'll write a review, but here is a preview... I was extremely taken off guard and impressed with my test drive...
Old 10-05-2007, 05:34 PM   #6
dredmo
Chillaxin'

Here ff...

Shortage in Cali, big cities marking up above MSRP. Glad I locked in a price... Now for the wait...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1107_rt_dp_accordCoupe.pdf (136.8 KB, 416 views)
Old 10-06-2007, 01:16 AM   #7
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by dredmo View Post
Here ff...

Shortage in Cali, big cities marking up above MSRP. Glad I locked in a price... Now for the wait...
Wow the final drive ratio is 3:55.

Where is the full review promised?
Old 10-06-2007, 10:26 AM   #8
dredmo
Chillaxin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBM3C View Post
Wow the final drive ratio is 3:55.

Where is the full review promised?
I will post one, all I've driven is the automatic sedan so far though. It is looking like a 4+week wait for my order to arrive.

I'm buying blind, but based on my wifes desires and a favorable impression of the sedan.

The only bad thing about the auto/sedan was that it was FWD (obviously) and had a bit of over-steer at low speeds because of its progressive steering system. My coupe review will come, I promise.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:16 PM   #9
SCA
Jaded

Specs?
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 06:55 PM   #10
dredmo
Chillaxin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post