carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 12-02-2020, 09:17 AM   #391
dan
redefined

Old 12-02-2020, 11:37 AM   #392
IndyMike
Elected by grace

Carmudgeonly Ride: 11 1 M; 11 328iT; 22 M240ix
Mikey likes it. Major PROPS on the great call to resist buying for the badge and letting practicality and fiscal prudence rule the day.

Also like the color. Looks a bit like Orient blue, which was always one of my favorite E46 hues. Whatever it is called it looks great with the grey rims.

Congrats.
Old 12-02-2020, 12:35 PM   #393
jpgurl
Carmudgeon

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 MACH-E; '74 Austin Mini
Congrats! The latest designs coming from Mazda are very nice looking.
jpgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 02:03 PM   #394
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMike View Post
Mikey likes it. Major PROPS on the great call to resist buying for the badge and letting practicality and fiscal prudence rule the day.

Also like the color. Looks a bit like Orient blue, which was always one of my favorite E46 hues. Whatever it is called it looks great with the grey rims.

Congrats.

Thanks, Mike. Deep Crystal Blue, I think it's called. Looks almost black on an overcast day. It's probably my least favorite of their colors, after black. But, I think it will grow on me. Generally not a fan of dark blues, for some reason. And the only interior in the Signature is a muddy brown. But, inventory is very low and this had the features I wanted. I would agree it looks grown up and possibly a tad elegant. It has a sparkly effect in the sun, kind of like a bowling ball. I had wanted the Machine Gray, but whatever, not all that exciting either!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgurl View Post
Congrats! The latest designs coming from Mazda are very nice looking.
Gracias! I think so, too. That Carbon Edition Miata with the red seats looks fantastic.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 05:55 PM   #395
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
It does look like Orient from your picture. I'd take the blue over the gray. So cool that you like it so much; I had a feeling you would.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 08:26 PM   #396
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
It does look like Orient from your picture. I'd take the blue over the gray. So cool that you like it so much; I had a feeling you would.
I am.

Put it to good use today. Hauled a bunch of stuff from the garage to Goodwill with my son.

And then hauled him and the dogs to their other mother in the evening.

It is already doing what I needed it to do, while being fun and nimble to drive (for an SUV.)

It’s going to be cold here in ATL for a stretch. So right now, I can’t imagine when I’d grab the convertible instead of the Mazda for any errand.

With the garage all cleared out, it is safely tucked in for the night. And boy, those sensors and 3D surround cameras helped it thread the needle (I hate two-door garages-and mine is surrounded in protruding brick).

Eventually, I need a hitch solution for a bike carrier (I can either trust the dealer to install one or take it to an aftermarket place.) No rush on that, though.
Old 12-02-2020, 10:16 PM   #397
Biggins
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 22 Tiguan, 11 328i
Congrats on the new ride, it should be your practical solution.

We would have one too if not for the killer deal Honda offered on our CR-V a few years ago.
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 08:15 AM   #398
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggins View Post
Congrats on the new ride, it should be your practical solution.

We would have one too if not for the killer deal Honda offered on our CR-V a few years ago.
Thank you!

CRV is a good choice, too, and is supposed to have a lot more cargo space than the Mazda. I was actually intrigued by the Toyota RAV Prime plug-in hybrid, but they will be scarce for some time.
Old 12-06-2020, 09:36 PM   #399
wdc330i
dogged

I am enjoying the car. And it’s my son’s first choice if we have to go somewhere. Nice, easy, practical.

It’s cold here, and it’s been rainy. And now that I have a choice of what to drive in weather like this, the Mazda is the obvious choice.

It’s super easy to live with. If I have one complaint, it’s that the brakes are a bit slow to bite. Another is that there’s a sort of iDrive interface and then a bunch of ancillary buttons and settings accessed otherwise. So, integration of settings and customizing is not as sophisticated as BMW. That’s what you get for $30k more, I guess.

The engine is a little agricultural in its sound, but hustles just fine.

I have not tried premium gas yet, which is alleged to add some HP and torque. I doubt I would notice that around town. Perhaps I would on the highway.

Oh, and I have a heated steering wheel, but the heat is not 360 on the wheel. Seems like a cheapo thing.

Still completely happy with the purchase.
Old 12-07-2020, 08:09 AM   #400
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
I have not tried premium gas yet, which is alleged to add some HP and torque. I doubt I would notice that around town. Perhaps I would on the highway.

Oh, and I have a heated steering wheel, but the heat is not 360 on the wheel. Seems like a cheapo thing.

Still completely happy with the purchase.
Do you have a middle selection on gas? Living on a lake we have so many nice options on gas, depending on what you want to spend. There is regular, mid, and premium, and also all three without the corn/ethanol crap added. Boat motors really don't like the corn crap.

Wife's new fusion also has a limited heated steering wheel. seems that just the molded area where you are "supposed" the hold the wheel is the olny spot where the heater element is