carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 11-05-2020, 05:23 PM   #21
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 BMW 325xiT; looking for a new fun car
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMike View Post
Have you had a positive experience with their services, or know someone that has? I'm not looking for them to come back perfect, just good enough so that it's at least not as noticeable as currently with the rash. Attached is the first wheel to be replaced. It's not "that" bad, but still bugs me, especially whenever I have to clean them, which is about once a month since I only put about 400 miles on them each month.
Yes, I have used them at least a half dozen times (around here they install potholes, not fix them, in the spring). I've been totally satisfied with the service they've performed on my wheels. The only time I was unhappy was when I purchased a set of 5 wheels to have a dedicated set of snow tires, and the 5th (which cost the same as the other 4) was balanced and true, but had some fugly dings under the paint that were cosmetic. I guess they thought "it's a spare, who cares".

They claim to be the only place in the US that can match the blackish silver shadow color used on some wheels (mostly M models, at least back in the day). Folklore has it that the paint formulation BMW uses on those wheels is not allowed in the US in uncured (wet) form, which is why nobody else has come up with an exact match.
Terri Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 11:09 AM   #22
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Mike this one is right between your old 135i and your 1M. SUPER cool rare car in the best color.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2013-bmw-135is-16/
Old 12-08-2020, 12:19 PM   #23
IndyMike
Elected by grace

Carmudgeonly Ride: 11 1 M; 11 328iT; 22 M240ix
So I performed some scouting around and turned up a local wheel re-finisher who would do the tricks of straightening out the wobble in the wheel and also correct the rash (at least as best as he could) for $200.

Below is before and after shots. Overall considering the combined damage of how badly it was bent and chewed up I would give it an 8 out of 10. You can def notice that the finish is a lighter shade of grey in the repaired area, but I surmise and reckon that it will be much less noticeable once mounted on the tire, significantly reducing the cringe meter to virtual trifle levels in comparison to before.

Not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but $200 beats $600 every day of the week, and 100 out of 99 times.

The left front wheel also has a minor bit of rash that he will re-finish for $80, so I will swap out that wheel with the refinished one later this week.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1011354.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	396.2 KB
ID:	12965  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1011359.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	433.7 KB
ID:	12966  
Old 12-10-2020, 09:53 PM   #24
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 BMW 325xiT; looking for a new fun car
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMike View Post
So I performed some scouting around and turned up a local wheel re-finisher who would do the tricks of straightening out the wobble in the wheel and also correct the rash (at least as best as he could) for $200.
I don't know if their online price list is up to date, but WCC lists "Straighten & Refinish 1 Piece Standard Aluminum Wheel (Moderate Damage)" as $125 - $190. Of course, you do have to get it there (and back) or find a local shop with a WCC account.
Terri Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote