carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 08-17-2023, 11:06 PM   #1
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
M5 Search

I'll spare you the ridiculous drama surrounding a local dealer twice wasting my time when I wanted to test drive a CPO 550i, but despite not having driven it, it seems like the likely option for me. I'll drive one soon I'm sure.

I wanted to recruit your help in letting me know if you come across the right one in your area. For the moment I am only looking around me.

The ideal time to get one would be sometime between March and September of next year, but if the perfect one shows up sooner, that's fine. Similarly, if the search takes longer I'll live.

So far, this is what I am looking for:

- MY2021 or later (LCI), but for the right cream puff car with the perfect specs I may consider a MY2020 (that is the year of the latest and greatest engine updates that run through 2023)
- Any black or dark blue will do (bonus for Tanzanite), may consider silver or Aventurine Red. Definitely no gray or white.
- Must have Nappa leather interior in a dark color (Black or Mocha are the only ones, I believe)
- Naturally, lower mileage and signs of an easy life with no mods is huge. CPO is ideal.
- Not set on a budget, but assuming a 20'-22' MY, ~$60-75k should get me a pretty nice example. I'm not sure I need a 23' but for the right deal, sure - even if it costs more. But I am not paying $90k+ for a new one.

That's it for the hard requirements.

- The more options the better. I hear great things about the Dynamic Handling Pkg but it seems hard to find. Park assistance pkg is a good one to have also. But generally, the more loaded up the better.
- Huge bonus if the car has the M668 wheels but those are hard to find on MY2021+.

See wheels below on a Tanzanite car:

Last edited by FC; 11-05-2023 at 09:28 AM.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 06:07 PM   #2
Alan
Carmudgeon

I wanted to order those wheels but the summer tires put me off, I am just wondering if you do find a car with them what is the plan. I have checked into it recently being I was thinking of getting a set for my car and it seems the only all season tires available are non run flats, for me this is not an issue since I have the spare tire option but I believe most don’t order the spare tire option being they are concerned about the trunk reduction.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 06:26 PM   #3
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Any interest in a 540 with all the right options or is your heart set on a v8?
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 09:14 AM   #4
JST

That red is sharp.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/7...ff=share_other
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 09:16 AM   #5
JST

But also is there a reason you’re not considering M5s?

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/8...ff=share_other
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 03:43 PM   #6
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
But also is there a reason you’re not considering M5s?

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/8...ff=share_other
Well, they are a bit over the top. Too loud, too stiff, excessive power. The M550i is already unnecessarily powerful/fast/fuel inefficient. The M5 is just more of all that. But the ride comfort is a big thing.

I do think they look very sharp. They are also more expensive although that one seems like a great deal.
Old 08-20-2023, 03:45 PM   #7
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I wanted to order those wheels but the summer tires put me off, I am just wondering if you do find a car with them what is the plan. I have checked into it recently being I was thinking of getting a set for my car and it seems the only all season tires available are non run flats, for me this is not an issue since I have the spare tire option but I believe most don’t order the spare tire option being they are concerned about the trunk reduction.
I plan on having dedicated summer and winter tires on this car since it will be a year-round commuter.
Old 08-20-2023, 03:47 PM   #8
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Yes. I've never seen it person but the press car was in that color and all reviewers seem to love it.

That's a good deal on that car, though I cannot tell what option packages it has.
Old 08-20-2023, 03:49 PM   #9
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
Any interest in a 540 with all the right options or is your heart set on a v8?
Don't know yet. By all accounts the 540 is plenty fast and nice enough, but the force is strong with the V8. It sounds great, has gobs of power, and the M550 comes pretty well loaded already.
Old 08-20-2023, 03:56 PM   #10
SCA
Jaded

Not attempting to piss in your Cheerios, but be advised that all the variants of the N63 have known, costly issues. You do not want to own one out of warranty. My parents have had several and in fact they just purchased the extended BMW platinum warranty on my mother’s 2020 X5 M50i yesterday. $7300 with TN sales tax.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote