carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 10-29-2018, 10:58 PM   #71
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
I think there are more important qualities to consider besides ultimate performance. That, of course, is why I drive an M240 convertible rather than an M2--or whatever is more uber than that.
It’s funny you bring that up because I was always on this strange upswing power wise on each of my cars that followed each other. Then after realizing that even my lowly 400 hp M5 could barely ever fully be used in a day to day basis I realized that slowly became less important.

That’s why I instead started considering a more dynamic car where power was less a factor. Not that a newer Boxster S or M2 is not as fast or faster then my M5 but I think you get the point. The Boxster just adds that convertablw factor you can use around here like 9-10 months out of the year.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:17 AM   #72
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
My spouse definitely prefers riding in the boxster. And it adds different pleasures. We live in the city. Dropping the top down when we get to the countryside means we "feel" it more, it's more about the environment around you. Top down at 85mph on the highway is a bit like a motorcycle. You need a hat and maybe even gloves... Stuff like that.
it's funny, I never really wanted a convertible, but once I had the cayman and realized that ultimate handling doesn't provide a lot of benefit for me on public roads, I started thinking that a boxster might be a more interesting point in the space of vehicles to own. I'd probably enjoy it a lot less with the top up, but while down it would be a pretty neat car to cruise around on back country roads.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 05:40 AM   #73
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
Didn't you drive a 718 and think the engine was shit?
I meant I should go drive a 987 or 981 Cayman.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 10:19 AM   #74
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I meant I should go drive a 987 or 981 Cayman.
The two are quite different dynamically. I'd say *more different* than a 987 cayman to boxster or a 981 cayman to boxster.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 11:17 AM   #75
John V
No more BMWs

There are things about the 981 that sound very appealing. More interior space, better sound isolation, better build quality, better shifter (though it's pretty easy to make the 987 shifter excellent). The downsides are more isolated steering and ... uh?

I don't know why I'm wasting brain space about this, because I'm still desiring a simpler fleet of cars, not a more complicated / expensive fleet.
Old 10-30-2018, 01:05 PM   #76
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
I don't know why I'm wasting brain space about this, because I'm still desiring a simpler fleet of cars, not a more complicated / expensive fleet.
The cognitive dissonance of being both

a) financially conservative and responsible, and

b) a car fan.

Don't get me started about it. It sucks.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 01:06 PM   #77
JST

Quote:
There are things about the 981 that sound very appealing. More interior space, better sound isolation, better build quality, better shifter (though it's pretty easy to make the 987 shifter excellent). The downsides are more isolated steering and ... uh?

I haven't driven that many 981s, but I remember driving one when they first came out and thinking it felt bigger in an annoying way than the 987. But the other day when I drove equ's at your house, I was impressed by how similar it felt to Porsche DNA as represented in the 987. Maybe I'm getting old, but I wouldn't turn down a 981.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 07:42 PM   #78
John V
No more BMWs

There's a reason I didn't drive his car when offered.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:31 AM   #79
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
https://www.driving.co.uk/car-clinic...nd-981-models/

"THE NEW Porsche 718 Boxster is a landmark in the history of Porsche’s roadster. Sweaty-palmed purists have barely got used to the idea of the 911 Carrera having a turbocharged motor and now they’re faced with a Boxster with a four cylinder turbo. It’s a seismic moment that will throw fresh attention on the armada of used, “old school” Boxsters in the classifieds.

Today, you can have pretty much any Boxster you want for whatever price you want to pay, but which are the best used buys?"
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 02:43 PM   #80
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Pretty much. The 981 is a great machine.

I drove mine in an unexpected sprinkle yesterday. Dark inside, feeling like in a bathtub with that sound right behind me, I felt like I could have been in any decent porsche from any period. Not many cars flow down the road like it.

Look for a 2014 to 2016 Cayman S (or GTS). The sonorous 3.4L will likely hold some value over the years as the switch to the turbo-4 is not for everyone.

Required options for me:
- 6-speed: Shifts great stock.
- Suspension: PASM or x73 (not base)
- Seats: Sports or the 14-way or the 18-way (as long as not base)

And.... umm, coming up blank... They are all on 19's or 20's in any case. Some of the 20's are ugly and possibly a bit heavy, but those are rare and easy to avoid.

Nice to haves:
- PTV i.e. LSD would be nice but not a dealbreaker. Not crazy hard to add to the 987's.
- Heated seats but the cabin warms up quickly and not as essential in a coupe.
- Sport Chrono but then you have all those modes to pick rather than just get in and drive
- Leather etc...

If, for some reason, I lost mine, I'd go looking for another 2013 to 2016 Boxster or 2014 to 2016 Cayman. I can't say that for anything else in the "fleet".
equ is offline   Reply With Quote