carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 04-09-2018, 11:59 PM   #1
clyde
Chief title editor

I also need to do a write up of my first month+ experience and thoughts. I had part of a draft written a few weeks ago but didn't finish it.

Have some new stuff including a developing potential issue ("thunk"ing transmission when cold) and, while test fitting a set of race wheels & tires this evening, discovering some GM build quality (or "shit, does the car have a story?") surprises.

Driver side. Passenger side looks similar. A few nuts and bolts look like may have slipped up to 1/8 of a turn. There are also some nuts and some surfaces with paint marks but no marks on the corresponding nut/surface. Did not look methodically enough at the time to determine if suspension parts may have been replaced. Took a bunch of pics at each corner to look at later, but kind of don't want to now.

Can't believe I feel compelled to nut and bolt a brand new fucking car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	driver-rear.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	520.1 KB
ID:	11724  

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:53 AM   #2
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
I

Driver side. Passenger side looks similar. A few nuts and bolts look like may have slipped up to 1/8 of a turn. There are also some nuts and some surfaces with paint marks but no marks on the corresponding nut/surface. Did not look methodically enough at the time to determine if suspension parts may have been replaced. Took a bunch of pics at each corner to look at later, but kind of don't want to now.

Can't believe I feel compelled to nut and bolt a brand new fucking car.
Why worry about this stuff? Let it go, it's a new car. Maybe they only mark one side. It's not like you're going for 150mph+ at the salt flats.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 09:47 AM   #3
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Why worry about this stuff? Let it go, it's a new car. Maybe they only mark one side. It's not like you're going for 150mph+ at the salt flats.
He's going to travel thousands of miles from home to abuse the shit out of the car, and then drive it home. It's bad if a corner falls off, even if it's ultimately warranted.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 06:33 PM   #4
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
He's going to travel thousands of miles from home to abuse the shit out of the car, and then drive it home. It's bad if a corner falls off, even if it's ultimately warranted.
Even if wheels don't fall off, loose suspension components can lead to excess play, misalignment, undesirable/unpredictable behavior, premature wear on other components, etc.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 04-11-2018, 06:12 PM   #5
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 BMW 325xiT; looking for a new fun car
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
... while test fitting a set of race wheels & tires this evening, discovering some GM build quality (or "shit, does the car have a story?") surprises.

Driver side. Passenger side looks similar. A few nuts and bolts look like may have slipped up to 1/8 of a turn.
GM's parts quality is "just about almost good enough". No idea about the assembly line. Atoms were regularly snapping hubs and driveshafts even though they were off the Cobalt SS which was a much heavier car.

Judging by the taper on the bolts and the flutes on the nuts, the nuts are single-use parts. Tightening them will likely be worse than leaving them as-is, but keep an eye out for them loosening further.
Terri Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 07:39 PM   #6
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy View Post
GM's parts quality is "just about almost good enough". No idea about the assembly line. Atoms were regularly snapping hubs and driveshafts even though they were off the Cobalt SS which was a much heavier car.

Judging by the taper on the bolts and the flutes on the nuts, the nuts are single-use parts. Tightening them will likely be worse than leaving them as-is, but keep an eye out for them loosening further.
Almost all of the nuts and bolts are listed as single use. I was thinking of making a list of what I need and ordering new everything. In the meantime, leave as-is through the first event, check everything against where things are now and then go from there. I still need to align it and there's a thing I need to do on the front end that involves loosening, pushing, pulling, and re-tightening to get some extra camber. I can't do that until I can set front toe immediately after.

Still pissed off, though.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 04-12-2018, 10:41 AM   #7
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy View Post
Atoms were regularly snapping hubs and driveshafts even though they were off the Cobalt SS which was a much heavier car.
The stresses put on hubs and halfshafts has more to do with just the weight of the vehicle.

Given the other, uh, "interesting" engineering done on the Atom, it would not surprise me at all that parts taken from another car would have reliability problems when installed in an Atom.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote