Carmudgeonly Ride: S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
That's pretty outstanding.
Old 06-16-2021, 04:24 PM   #72
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
I liked my E46 wagon but have owning a few M cars I prefer the extra they provide.

Basically I don't think I could go back to a non-m bmw unless maybe a luxo cruiser or suv.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 04:56 PM   #73
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
With patience, I can find another nice e46 or e91 in my price range. It won't be a blue 6sp M-Sport, but it will check all the boxes that we're looking for. A CX-5 or similar is another interesting option. I keep going down a LR Disco rabbit hole, as it would be different enough than everything else we had that it would fit a nice void, but my wife keeps saying I want another little wagon. The e46 is just such a nice experience, and has such a fun little soul. I really don't want to give that up on any car.
I know 2 people with LR Disco IIs (early 2000s). I get the sense that they are permanent "project cars" in the sense that something is always broken. Although one of my friends recently claimed that he finally got his car really "dialed in". Both of these guys always wanted Discos going back 20 years, and I think you probably have to be that type of person to really persevere/enjoy it. I think they look kinda cool but probably wouldn't have the patience for it. Plus coming from the cars you've had, an old Disco is going to feel super "trucky".
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 03:06 PM   #74
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMike View Post
Sorry to hear about the demise of the E46. I still fondly look back on pictures and the memories we had in our wagon.

The BaT link looks like FC's old steed; LMB with Saddle. Only difference I see is this has the 17 inch wheels as opposed to the 18's. I think the 18's look better and help fill up the wheel wells, but personal preference.

Given that the car market right now is in a massive bubble and prices are crazy, stupid, $30k (if that is where or close to it's final resting spot) might be a stretch to rationalize about, but it's running really strong colors with the right transmission, so in essence a unicorn at least for me since i love all things Le Mans blue plus wagons in general. With the mind of keeping it for 8 - 10 years I would drop that amount of bank like it's hot and grab this if I were in the market, as long as a PPI didn't reveal any major glaring issues.

My wife's Space Grey with Saddle E91 turned 10 this month with just shy of 80k miles on it. So far it's been as reliable as anything else we have ever owned, and unless it's totaled or stolen I don't plan to ever get rid of it. It has a couple of dents, scrapes on the bottom front bumper and other minor character marks, but it has the old hydraulic steering rack so it's a hell of a lot of fun to pilot with the DNA of an UDM.

Either way, good luck with the search. I haven't had a single serious itch to purchase another car in almost 9 years now. We are both satisfied with the E91, and though she dislikes the R32 (harder egress for her due to carpal tunnel surgery), after 120k miles it keeps ploughing along refusing to give up the ghost. And as far as the 1 M goes, I still haven't come down from the cloud yet after nine years and 40k miles. I remain enamored with it. It's wild and exciting whether it's going to get groceries at legal speeds, or carving up a backroad at illegal speeds. The modern E30 M3 equivalent, which I could never afford back in the day. My fountain of youth so to speak.

So considering how boring I am I have to live vicariously through the action of others. My wife and retirement account both prefer for me to remain in my current malaise and funk indefinitely.
Keep driving the 1M. Please don’t let it sit there and undergo dry rot.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 11:19 AM   #75
IndyMike
Elected by grace

Carmudgeonly Ride: 11 1 M; 11 328iT; 22 M240ix
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
Keep driving the 1M. Please don’t let it sit there and undergo dry rot.
Actually it's become my daily driver, but I have to admit that is cheek outside of tongue since I now work entirely from home due to the Chinese flu outbreak in March 2020. As long as there is no snow and the trip takes longer than 10 minutes to get there (takes that long for the temp to reach the fun zone), it's the go-to-car. In fact, the R32 has pretty much just collected dust waiting for a snowy day. The 1 M has racked three times as many miles in the past 15 months than it.

For what it's worth, the LMB wagon went for $25,250. Definitely not a bargain, but way less than the $30k it was expected to top out at.
Old 06-24-2021, 11:50 AM   #76
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Chinese flu?
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 12:11 PM   #77
IndyMike
Elected by grace

Carmudgeonly Ride: 11 1 M; 11 328iT; 22 M240ix
AKA COVID-19 2 B PC.
Old 06-24-2021, 12:36 PM   #78