carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 04-01-2009, 08:08 PM   #1
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
370Z vs. Cayman S vs. Cayman S v.1

Cool article.. I've been a fan of Chris Harris' reviews.

http://magazines.drivers-republic.co...sible045/?fm=2
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:38 PM   #2
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Cool article, thanks for posting it.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:10 PM   #3
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata

The Caymans are some amazing machines but I'm guessing the 370Z would have a higher reliablity rate and lower repair/maintenance costs and would be the one I'd consider of the bunch.

I'll be keeping my eye on the 370Zs to see how they do over the next several years in terms of actual real world reliability and used prices. They're right in there with my default MX-5 (eyeing the 2009+ NCs), an R56 MCS, S2k, and maaaaayyybe a C6 Corvette, probably a base model with at least the Z51 suspension setup.

"Jeep is the only true American sports car*" - Enzo Ferrari

* Or something to that effect.
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:04 PM   #4
equ
Alphanumeric

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupinsea View Post

The Caymans are some amazing machines but I'm guessing the 370Z would have a higher reliablity rate and lower repair/maintenance costs and would be the one I'd consider of the bunch.

I'll be keeping my eye on the 370Zs to see how they do over the next several years in terms of actual real world reliability and used prices. They're right in there with my default MX-5 (eyeing the 2009+ NCs), an R56 MCS, S2k, and maaaaayyybe a C6 Corvette, probably a base model with at least the Z51 suspension setup.
Don't know about the 370Z but I drove the 06 350Z with an open mind, while out shopping and driving most everything out there. I found it to be barely more sporting than my 03 zhp sedan, if that... It's a car that doesn't live up to its paper specs. I preferred the s2000 and the rx-8 to the 350Z for feel, excitement and build quality.

The 370Z is supposedly much better, but I don't have a very high opinion of nissan. The caymans are pretty reliable actually, you can't believe how many of them are being subjected to track torture, I think they are pretty bulletproof for everyday use. Not many are past 40 or 50k miles, so ymmv.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:26 PM   #5
lupinsea
Jeeped

I remain skeptical that a Porsche will as cost effective to maintain and repair as a Nissan.

The old 350z was never my cup of tea. I liked the styling when it came out and it's ok still, but it always seemed very heavy and based on research the handling seemed like it was somewhere between a sports car and a muscle car. Definitely better than a muscle car but still "chunky". From my time inside a 350z, however, I couldn't stand the visibility out of the car.

Not sure the visibility of the 370z is that much better but every other aspect about the car seemed significantly improved over the 350z. The handling seems much improved, weight reduced by ~200 lb., 30+ more hp, nicer interior, etc. etc.

I'm also realizing my comfort zone for car ownership is on the lower-end of the price scale. Take our ZHP for instance. . . so far it's been pretty good and I've loved it as a sport sedan. But I'm concerned about potentially expensive out-of-warranty repairs down the road. A $1-2k repair I can stomach, but getting several of those in a 1-2 period? This isn't to say less expensive cars are necessarily more reliable, just that when they require shop time it tends to be less costly (less costly parts and no "Fancy Car Preimum" for shop time).

I'd have no concerns about maintaining a Miata out of warranty, for example. And a lot less concern about a 370z (though this may be out of ignorance or lack of Nissan ownership experience) than I would any P-car.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:00 PM   #6
equ
Alphanumeric

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupinsea View Post
I remain skeptical that a Porsche will as cost effective to maintain and repair as a Nissan.
I objected to the first portion of your statement, that the porsche would be likely less reliable. I differ. I think on average, it is likely to be as reliable. I have no idea about costs, perhaps a touch more... Oil changes are expensive, but then you don't need them too often.

Sure, if you are projecting heavy track use, it will be $$$ compared to a miata or sth. But for weekend and some weekday use, it should be fine. In some ways they feel simpler and more robust than bmw's.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:23 PM   #7
lupinsea
Jeeped

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Sure, if you are projecting heavy track use, it will be $$$ compared to a miata or sth. But for weekend and some weekday use, it should be fine. In some ways they feel simpler and more robust than bmw's.
Hm.

I just look at our lone Porsche owner in the office and think of the thousands and thousands he's spent on repairs and up keep of his Boxster over the last few years. Just mind boggling. Both the cost of the routine maintenance and the cost of the repairs. And he doesn't even rev the engine over 4000 rpm nor drive it anywhere close to hard. Just scoots around the city and an occasional in-state road trip. Granted, he does have 100,000 miles on the car, the same as our BMW, but our BMW has been a bargain in comparison in terms of cost of maintenance and upkeep and I flog the ZHP regularly.

Admittedly, a sample of one is not a good sampling. Actually, make that a sampling of two. I had another friend who ran a Boxster S. Similarly high maintenance/repair costs, though he didn't keep his car as long. Finally got rid of it.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:24 PM   #8
dan
redefined

dan is offline   Reply With Quote