carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 07-11-2019, 10:17 PM   #1301
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
JST I just got a FedEx tracking notification for a 1 pound package shipping from CA to my house - the "from" address is Tesla Motors Inc.

I guess it's the spoiler.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 02:45 AM   #1302
JST

Huh interesting.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 01:01 PM   #1303
JST

Not a Model 3 post, but just saw this thing on the new Model X updates (“Raven”), which employ the Model 3 drive unit in the front.

Ignore the dumb prose and focus on this: Model X runs the quarter in 11.24 at 119.3. Which is...holy crap. The interesting thing to me is that the Model X’s trap speed is so high, 4 mph faster than the Lamborghini Urus it’s next to.

Teslas have traditionally been hole shot cars that have flagged as speeds increase, but this new update seems to keep pulling really hard even at higher speed.

https://apple.news/AiQ_2bMZNTxK-qi8uSU8B2g
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:08 PM   #1304
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
It would be a lot more interesting if they could figure out how to make the cars handle.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 01:09 PM   #1305
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
It would be a lot more interesting if they could figure out how to make the cars handle.
In daily driving the Model 3 handling is not bad at all. You can clearly feel the low center of gravity. A simple swerve test on a straight road is handled very well.

However - On high-speed corners on bumpy pavement the car loses its composure (compared to the E46). The shocks don't do well on multiple hits. I have no idea what it would be like on an autocross course but I could imagine it's not pretty.

But for daily driving on reasonable roads it handles pretty damn well. It does not drive like a barge at all.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 02:15 PM   #1306
John V
No more BMWs

On an autocross course it's actually kind of amazing because the computer fixes so many mistakes without really slowing the car down. It strikes me that it must be one of the safest cars on the road because even with the performance version in "track" (or whatever) mode, the driver can manhandle the car pretty badly and the computer is like "hold my beer." I have to imagine it takes a lot of talent to spin one of these off the road

The factory shocks are abysmal, and it doesn't have nearly enough spring rate for the weight. As soon as someone fits one of these with decent shocks, it's gonna be an amazing car.

But the Model X and the Model S don't have the magic built into them that the 3 does, which was my point.

Ultimate speed and rocket acceleration are kind of a "don't care" for me... except it's very cool to me that there's really no penalty for the capability. Normally if you buy a car that has insane acceleration capability, it also comes with the baggage of horrible economy when you're not hammering it. The Tesla, not so much. They can keep adding power and motors and there's little to no affect on how economical the car is in putt-putt traffic. I love that.
Old 07-15-2019, 02:48 PM   #1307
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
On an autocross course it's actually kind of amazing because the computer fixes so many mistakes without really slowing the car down. It strikes me that it must be one of the safest cars on the road because even with the performance version in "track" (or whatever) mode, the driver can manhandle the car pretty badly and the computer is like "hold my beer." I have to imagine it takes a lot of talent to spin one of these off the road

The factory shocks are abysmal, and it doesn't have nearly enough spring rate for the weight. As soon as someone fits one of these with decent shocks, it's gonna be an amazing car.

But the Model X and the Model S don't have the magic built into them that the 3 does, which was my point.

Ultimate speed and rocket acceleration are kind of a "don't care" for me... except it's very cool to me that there's really no penalty for the capability. Normally if you buy a car that has insane acceleration capability, it also comes with the baggage of horrible economy when you're not hammering it. The Tesla, not so much. They can keep adding power and motors and there's little to no affect on how economical the car is in putt-putt traffic. I love that.

Apparently the latest “raven” refresh of the S addresses the suspension issues by some retuning / adding adaptive shocks.
robg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 07:59 PM   #1308
John V
No more BMWs

That won't be remotely enough to make the S sporty.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:29 PM   #1309
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
I have to imagine it takes a lot of talent to spin one of these off the road
I feel like I've been challenged

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:41 PM   #1310
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
That won't be remotely enough to make the S sporty.

No but supposedly it noticeably improves things.
robg is online now   Reply With Quote