carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 12-27-2018, 08:35 PM   #1
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Range Rover Sport Td6

Drive a 2017 today.

It handles better than I would think. Great viability.

The engine is epic good. Wall of torque.

I’m going to drive JGC and maybe Cayenne diesels to compare?

(E61 replacement)

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 10:43 PM   #2
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
All of those SUV's appeal to me, certainly over Jeep Wrangler/Gladiator.

The Cayenne diesel was a near miss for me, I got very close, got very specific with specs, found it but could not pull the trigger.

1. The engine felt wheezy not healthy at times (likely due to dieselgate fix). The JGC diesel may have been a touch slower but the wall of torque was smoother at lower rpm. There are diehard Cayenne diesel owners rejecting the fix (even against mucho $$$ incentives).

2. The handling was better than the JGC, but still not quite good enough. The Macan is much better to drive (but of course smaller). One additional reason to size may be the transfer case. One thing I'm noticing with the Macanurbo is how much of the power going to the rear, something like 75 to 80% in conditions that would generate push/understeer. I think the Cayenne diesel shares the not as rear-biased but indestructible case of Touaregs and Q7 Audis, that may be cutting the fun. Cayenne S's and Turbos use the Macan transfer case, I'm not sure if they are as rear-biased, but I expect they would be. I never minded the handling of my v6 loaners. It does have better weight distribution than the Macan, but in the real world, when you drive it, the Macanurbo shrinks around you and approximates the old RS4 (without the glorious noise, but with a lot more tech and practicality).

The RRS Td6 is an attractive vehicle. I've been in an RRS, but not driven it. Nice, not-fussy interior. If I were in the market again, I'd consider it.

I do miss the JGC at times. How it swalllowed a 72" mini-couch whole. 29mpg on the highway and smooth pairing of torque & ZF8. But I don't miss its handling, and I had the air springs. Also some interior bits and pieces, especially that foot parking brake, drove me nuts. Definitely a rational choice and you can extend warranties to the moon with Mopar.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 10:38 AM   #3
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
All of those SUV's appeal to me, certainly over Jeep Wrangler/Gladiator.

The Cayenne diesel was a near miss for me, I got very close, got very specific with specs, found it but could not pull the trigger.

1. The engine felt wheezy not healthy at times (likely due to dieselgate fix). The JGC diesel may have been a touch slower but the wall of torque was smoother at lower rpm. There are diehard Cayenne diesel owners rejecting the fix (even against mucho $$$ incentives).

2. The handling was better than the JGC, but still not quite good enough. The Macan is much better to drive (but of course smaller). One additional reason to size may be the transfer case. One thing I'm noticing with the Macanurbo is how much of the power going to the rear, something like 75 to 80% in conditions that would generate push/understeer. I think the Cayenne diesel shares the not as rear-biased but indestructible case of Touaregs and Q7 Audis, that may be cutting the fun. Cayenne S's and Turbos use the Macan transfer case, I'm not sure if they are as rear-biased, but I expect they would be. I never minded the handling of my v6 loaners. It does have better weight distribution than the Macan, but in the real world, when you drive it, the Macanurbo shrinks around you and approximates the old RS4 (without the glorious noise, but with a lot more tech and practicality).

The RRS Td6 is an attractive vehicle. I've been in an RRS, but not driven it. Nice, not-fussy interior. If I were in the market again, I'd consider it.

I do miss the JGC at times. How it swalllowed a 72" mini-couch whole. 29mpg on the highway and smooth pairing of torque & ZF8. But I don't miss its handling, and I had the air springs. Also some interior bits and pieces, especially that foot parking brake, drove me nuts. Definitely a rational choice and you can extend warranties to the moon with Mopar.

Did you try the BMW diesel in the X5? I want to investigate that also.

The sad reality for me is that a CPO E350 wagon might do the trick. I don’t think the SUV capability is really needed. That’s just for fun.

Old 12-28-2018, 10:56 AM   #4
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
Did you try the BMW diesel in the X5? I want to investigate that also.

The sad reality for me is that a CPO E350 wagon might do the trick. I don’t think the SUV capability is really needed. That’s just for fun.
I owned a 2011 X5 35d for a flash. At the time my SUV "need" was more of a fancy, there were more AWD/manual machines on the market and I didn't have a big dog. That said, mine had regular suspension and seats, and as such was one of my least favorites above all listed. Recent ones may have improved... I'm always suspicious of xdrive, that said a bmw suv that interests me would be the ridiculously named x3 m40i. It's nearly as fast a macanurbo, has more space and has room for a spare.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 11:36 AM   #5
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
I'm always suspicious of xdrive, that said a bmw suv that interests me would be the ridiculously named x3 m40i. It's nearly as fast a macanurbo, has more space and has room for a spare.
I could see owning one of those as well.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 11:41 AM   #6
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
My stepdad had a Cayenne Diesel, but he got rid of it before the Dieselgate fix was applied, so my only experience with it was in its original "illegal" state. It drove great -- nice mix of power and efficiency/range… We drove from Socorro, NM back to Scottsdale (about 450 miles) on just over a 1/2 tank...
Old 12-28-2018, 11:41 AM   #7
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
I could see owning one of those as well.
My boss just got one of those. He seems to like it. Looks nice. I've seen a few around, so they must be getting popular.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 12:58 PM   #8
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
My boss just got one of those. He seems to like it. Looks nice. I've seen a few around, so they must be getting popular.

Which?

The one thing that is a little scary is pulling into a Land Rover dealer and seeing a see of vehicles there for “service”.

Seriously. 2/3 of the lot was trucks there for service.

And RRS seats do not fold flat which broke the deal. (Dogs)

Old 12-28-2018, 01:35 PM   #9
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
Which?

The one thing that is a little scary is pulling into a Land Rover dealer and seeing a see of vehicles there for “service”.

Seriously. 2/3 of the lot was trucks there for service.

And RRS seats do not fold flat which broke the deal. (Dogs)
FC was referring to the X3 Mwhatever, I think.

The X5 seats don't fold flat either, not sure about the X3.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 06:12 PM   #10
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
The X3 m4.0 is the only BMW offered that I would consider.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote