carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2020, 05:06 PM   #41
clyde
Chief title editor
 
clyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 24,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
The data to me says the ZL1 and C7 preowned markets are still hot because people are dawdling until the Z06 shows up (and/or they missed allotment).
ďDataĒ???

The forces acting upon used car market as a whole right now are so massive and distorting hereís nothing to find thatís model specific in niche cars like these. Itís like trying to measure the difference pouring in the Olympic pool sized volume of water before and after pouring in a Yeti coolerís worth of melted ice.

Then add the super limited C8 production capacity, that many dealers are now selling MY22 allocations they hope to one day have if theyíre not driven out of business long before that, etc.

Hotter C8 models that are sure to follow are going to make people paying ridiculous sums for existing, but poorly built from suspect materials, C8 examples quite unhappy in the next year or two.
__________________
OH NOES!!!!!1 MY CAR HAS T3H UND3R5T33R5555!!!!!!1oneone!!!!11

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 07:28 PM   #42
John V
No more BMWs
 
John V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Carmudgeonly Ride: 987S, Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Location: Glenwood, MD
Posts: 13,126
I think my complaints are largely addressed with better wheels and an aftermarket exhaust. The rumors about the Z06 make it seem like it'll be really impressive, but the base C8 is already a lot more than I'm willing to spend on a car, so...
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 04:25 PM   #43
lemming
Eastern Promises
 
lemming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: Blue Pig
Posts: 14,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
ďDataĒ???

The forces acting upon used car market as a whole right now are so massive and distorting hereís nothing to find thatís model specific in niche cars like these. Itís like trying to measure the difference pouring in the Olympic pool sized volume of water before and after pouring in a Yeti coolerís worth of melted ice.

Then add the super limited C8 production capacity, that many dealers are now selling MY22 allocations they hope to one day have if theyíre not driven out of business long before that, etc.

Hotter C8 models that are sure to follow are going to make people paying ridiculous sums for existing, but poorly built from suspect materials, C8 examples quite unhappy in the next year or two.

The limited C8 supply has driven the ZL1 market crazy.

I watch these cars like a hawk and they donít sit for long. I track them daily. Like any other quant nerd.

And when I ask Chevy dealers, itís because guys would rather go with something like a ZL1 than try to pay DMA on any unclaimed C8s.

I think this is in addition to any COVID19 weirdness.
__________________


lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 06:26 PM   #44
clyde
Chief title editor
 
clyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 24,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
The limited C8 supply has driven the ZL1 market crazy.

I watch these cars like a hawk and they donít sit for long. I track them daily. Like any other quant nerd.

And when I ask Chevy dealers, itís because guys would rather go with something like a ZL1 than try to pay DMA on any unclaimed C8s.

I think this is in addition to any COVID19 weirdness.
C8 is brand new and before COVID happened, it was well known that Chevy wouldnít be able to build enough to satisfy initial demand until early/mid 21 at the earliest. 6th Gen ZL1 has been available since the 2017 model year.

New and used ZL1 pricing has tracked pretty steady with 4 bangers, SSs, and the market at large for the past year. Iíve been paying pretty close attention with an embarrassingly detailed spreadsheet since long before you expressed any interest in the ZL1, but the ZL1 tracking was ancillary, not my central focus.

I canít categorically say your conclusion is wrong, but Iíve seen nothing that suggests itís correct.
__________________
OH NOES!!!!!1 MY CAR HAS T3H UND3R5T33R5555!!!!!!1oneone!!!!11

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 07:06 PM   #45
lemming
Eastern Promises
 
lemming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: Blue Pig
Posts: 14,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
C8 is brand new and before COVID happened, it was well known that Chevy wouldnít be able to build enough to satisfy initial demand until early/mid 21 at the earliest. 6th Gen ZL1 has been available since the 2017 model year.

New and used ZL1 pricing has tracked pretty steady with 4 bangers, SSs, and the market at large for the past year. Iíve been paying pretty close attention with an embarrassingly detailed spreadsheet since long before you expressed any interest in the ZL1, but the ZL1 tracking was ancillary, not my central focus.

I canít categorically say your conclusion is wrong, but Iíve seen nothing that suggests itís correct.

Iím not one to make the connection. Too focused on ZL1s.

The local Chevy dealers have told me theyíre seeing crazy demand on the ZL1s used or new right now. Which was my pain point.

I donít have any survey data for you. Just what the GMs of the dealerships think theyíre seeing.
__________________


lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Summit Point DE Fatality Pinecone Going Faster 32 07-17-2014 09:13 AM
Pic of the race car at Summit Point Nick M3 Car Talk 17 08-24-2006 10:18 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Forums © 2003-2008, 'Mudgeon Enterprises - Site hosting by AYN & Associates, LLC