Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-17-2019, 08:15 AM   #10
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
Just a heads up this is not an issue in either our 340 or 540 ... maybe mention this at your next service.

I enjoyed your write up but I feel like your comparing an every day comfortable car (yes it’s a fast and odd one) to a hyped up almost sports car. The M3 is not an everyday comfortable type of car, it is a little extreme in many different factors.

Btw one other thing, on a road trip I just want to get there, I don’t want to sit around and have a meal because I have no choice but to wait for my car to charge ...
Couple things -
JSTs Model 3 is a Performance, which is slotted against the M3. But it isn’t as aggressively upgraded compared to the regular Model 3 as a 3er is to a M3...

As for road trips, we haven’t taken the 3 on one yet, but the longer range compared to our S (100 miles more) will mean shorter charging stops. In the S, we averaged 45 min on our stops to add about 100 miles (on average - although it’s the stops that needed 150+ miles were that really increased the average). With more range in the 3, we won’t need to stop as frequently, and it will charge faster since it can hold more energy before charging slows down significantly due to the taper.

In the S, our drive from Scottsdale to Disneyland took about 30 min longer than in ICE - 8 vs 7.5 hours. The 3 could do that drive in about the same time as an ICE...