carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 10-03-2017, 09:09 AM   #291
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
I was thinking something more along the lines of an e92 since that's more in line with the budget.

I'm pretty sure the M2 will be a let down as well, but maybe not.

However, if what you want is a sporty 2 door thing with a little more "niceness" than a Camaro, it's pretty much all there is.
A 135is might be a stealth option as well. They're kid of hard to find though. And next to impossible to find with a manual transmission. But the DCT could be a good option at the track.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:13 AM   #292
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
A 135is might be a stealth option as well. They're kid of hard to find though. And next to impossible to find with a manual transmission. But the DCT could be a good option at the track.
Autocross classing doesn't favor that option.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:18 AM   #293
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
I don't think there is enough difference between the standard 135i and the is to try hard to find one. The 135 is a great little platform, with lots of performance enhancing mods available that can be had very inexpensively.

It is very different than a Camaro though, and that really seems like what Clyde has wanted for a long time.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:34 AM   #294
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Yep. Looks like the Camaro has to happen. Alas.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:17 AM   #295
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Wouldn't it be a good idea to take out and flog a //Mustang ? (for quick comparison to the Camaro?)
Old 10-03-2017, 10:32 AM   #296
clyde
Chief title editor

When I first test drove the RX-8, I knew during the test drive I was buying the car. When I first drove a FoST, I wasn't thinking I would like it, but I got out knowing there was a very good chance it would be my next car. When I first test drove a 325xiT, I knew that was what I was buying...and I'd woken up that morning certain I was buying a C5non-Z that day. When I drove the Armada, I knew I was buying it.

I drove this Camaro last year on a boring sort-of-around-the-block trip with a police car following me the whole way. The car was more stock then and I was more impressed with it than I expected.

After driving it all day Sunday, I'm less than certain.

Given all my requirements of utility, cost, autocross competitiveness, etc, there is a pretty finite list of cars I can consider. These are them (ranked by the number of strikes against them):

0 6g Camaro SS or V8 1LE
0 6g Camaro t4
-1 ND Miata
-1 E90/92 M
-2 5g Camaro 1LE
-2 2018 Mustang GT
-2 Focus RS
-2 C6 GS or Z06 Corvette
-2 C5 Z06 Corvette
-2 E46 M3
-3 986S
-3 Twins

The two seaters start off with two strikes against them. The Boxster gets one back by being cheap and the ND gets one back because Mazda and Miata automatically get bonus points. The Boxster then loses one because I did not enjoy competing in JV's. The Boxster gets another becuase it's almost certainly going to be more maintenance intensive than I'm willing to deal with for a "stock"ish car. It gains another becuase it's at the bottom of its depreciation curve, but loses it because of anticipated time waste factor in finding the right one to start with.

The Twins get three strikes because Toyota, low power, and I've done that before in the RX-8, but it was better in the RX-8 because R comps.

The Focus RS gets two strikes because I've spent the past five years in the FoST and I'm done.

The BMWs all get two strikes becuase I'm just not really interested. The E90 4 door gets one back becuase it's a four door. The E46 gets one back because it's cheapish, but loses it becuase it's almost certainly going to be more maintenance intensive than I'm willing to deal with for a "stock"ish car. It gains another becuase it's at the bottom of its depreciation curve, but loses it because of anticipated time waste factor in finding the right one to start with. I'm borderline on giving the E46 one more strike becuase it sounds so amazingly horrible, but its countered by being a very nice street car, so I want to just call it a wash.

The 6g Camaros get a strike becuase it's not a terribly liveable car and transporting tires makes it worse. The t4 gets one back because it's so cheap. The V8 versions get one back because they make such nice V8 noises.

The 5g Camaro gets a strike becuase it's less liveable than the 6g. It gets another strike because it's bigger and heavier than the 6g.

The 2018 Mustang gets a strike becuase I've had Mustangs. It gets another at the moment because of lack of info.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:34 AM   #297
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I’m not advancing a Tesla-centric view of the world, but the fact is that only Tesla so far has made any sort of commitment to building out eco charging infrastructure.

And that’s not unneeded. Trust me, as an EV owner with charging at both home and the office, I can tell you that’s only part of the equation. Being able to charge when traveling is another big part. And there are lots of ppl for whom EVs don’t work because they don’t have charging at home, even in the “high end” demo.

GM might be serious about EVs. They (or LG chem) might have great battery tech. But until they break ground on a high speed charging network, it’s bullshit.
I'm not sure how any of this is relevant to Clyde's interests.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:44 AM   #298
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I'm not sure how any of this is relevant to Clyde's interests.
Because internet. It's not a problem.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:46 AM   #299
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post

Given all my requirements of utility, cost, autocross competitiveness, etc, there is a pretty finite list of cars I can consider. These are them.....
Enjoy your miata.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:48 AM   #300
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Why don't you just buy my DSP car and get it over with? It has four seats! Five, even! What practicality!
John V is offline   Reply With Quote