Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 03-21-2007, 11:32 AM   #1
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Edmunds full test of the Solstice GXP

"The boulevard cruiser of broken dreams"

Quote:
The combination of heavy steering, imprecise shift action and fading brakes led us into trouble in one decreasing-radius corner. Wide Goodyear Eagle tires and the GXP's standard stability control kept us on our intended line, but it was a little lesson that while this car has some serious capability, it's not a very handy package.

Regardless of its impressive 65.2-mph speed in our slalom test, the boys at the test track believe the GXP's poor control feel and lack of a close-ratio six-speed transmission will lead it to be overlooked by people who are really savvy about sports cars. Chief Road Test Editor Chris Walton notes, "The unintuitive clutch uptake and heavy-handed shift action don't provide the driver with the kind of no-brainer experience a sports car should."
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...leId=120013#14
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 11:54 AM   #2
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
This illustrates one of my long-time frustrations with many GM products. A good idea, and they get soooo close to pulling it off . . . . but not quite. GM isn't the only one that does this but they seem to do it often.

I'm not intimately familiiar with the Solstice. . . maybe some of the issues can be corrected in subsequent years or perhaps aftermarket fixes. Although, it sounds like a pretty tall order to "fix" these issues if one were to do it themselves (swap out tranny, upgrade brake system, do something with steering, etc.). To say nothing of the f'ed up top/trunk system.

Hopefully, the Solstice will survive to the 2nd generation and we'd see some nice improvements.
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 12:04 PM   #3
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by lupinsea View Post
This illustrates one of my long-time frustrations with many GM products. A good idea, and they get soooo close to pulling it off . . . . but not quite. GM isn't the only one that does this but they seem to do it often.

I'm not intimately familiiar with the Solstice. . . maybe some of the issues can be corrected in subsequent years or perhaps aftermarket fixes. Although, it sounds like a pretty tall order to "fix" these issues if one were to do it themselves (swap out tranny, upgrade brake system, do something with steering, etc.). To say nothing of the f'ed up top/trunk system.

Hopefully, the Solstice will survive to the 2nd generation and we'd see some nice improvements.
They go part-way there, GM builds an interesting chassis, but then festoons the car with GM parts bin mechanicals: the shifter, for example, comes from a line of pick-ups (iirc), the gauges, the Cobalt etc.

At 30 large, it's just not acceptable, especially since one can buy a new 3.0 liter Z4 for not much more and used Si's and older 3.0liters at around the same price or less.

Ed
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 12:52 PM   #4
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
Yes but many people won't be caught dead in a Z4 b/c of the ugly factor. I know you like them Ed, but others don't.

At the sales rates they have going at the moment, apparently the list of short comings is entirely acceptable. At least for the short term until initial "gotta have it" demand is met.

I continue to hope they will improve the problems as they move on. We can see how the new V turns out to see if they are serious about competing. The know of a long list of "problems" with the V. Will they be addressed?

Same thing goes for the Solstice. It's a new kind of car for them. Hopefully it will improve and they will get more of it right as time goes on. Unfortunately, if it remains a top seller, I can't see them bothering to improve it much.

Having said that, I continue to like the V more than any M3 I have ever driven, even if it was only "close" and it had the worst stock shifter known to man.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 01:13 PM   #5
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwg View Post
Yes but many people won't be caught dead in a Z4 b/c of the ugly factor. I know you like them Ed, but others don't.
OT: I don't care for the Z4. I'e said that many times here. Hoewever, a few weeks back I saw a facelifted one and I must admit, it didn't look too bad. Sarafil's car IMO, is better looking than a solstice.

The Sky OTOH, is a good-looking car.

Of course, I think the Boxster looks good, so...
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 01:39 PM   #6
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
*sigh* I've been reading the long-term MX-5 review mentioned in the Solstice article. Makes me miss the Miata. Not only was my Miata great fun but its the little things that are appreciated too. Such as the easy of top-up/down action. My car was easy to manipulate the top. The new ones are apparently 5 times easier:

Old Miata took 10 seconds to put the top down while still belted into the driver's seat. Click, click, and toss it back.

New MX-5 taks between 1.35 - 1.81 seconds to put the top down. Click, toss.

Putting up is only about 3-4 times faster: old miata took 15 sec, new miata 3.9 - 4.4 seconds. Again, with sitting in the driver's seat with the seatbelt on.

Still, I got pretty good at putting the top up or down on my Miata while driving. I could do either operation up to about 25 mph. The major limiting factor was wind. Putting the top down at faster speeds would cause the rear window to billow out improperly and jamb in the folds. I think the fastest I went while putting the top up was 35-40 mph on the freeway. It was do-able but I wouldn't have had the arm strengh for much more than that.

Incidentally, on the Solstice it take 20 seconds to sow the top and 25.5 to put it back up and the driver needs to stop the car and exit the vehicle to do it. The same guy timed the Solstice top also timed the MX-5 top.

My Jeep on the other hand takes 5-10 minutes to go up or down. It's like erecting a tent.

Anyways, I gotta shut up about the Maita. I miss mine, and I want another one but I'll hold out for an NC. Some day . . . .

Last edited by lupinsea; 03-21-2007 at 02:10 PM.
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 01:45 PM   #7
ff

lupinsea, I always admire the fact that Mazda made the top up/down so simple. One of the few things I think Honda did wrong on the S2000, was putting a power-operated top on it, which happens to require the car be stopped and the parking brake engaged. I'm sure they must've had legitimate reasons, but I still would've prefered manual operation.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 01:46 PM   #8
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff View Post
lupinsea, I always admire the fact that Mazda made the top up/down so simple. One of the few things I think Honda did wrong on the S2000, was putting a power-operated top on it, which happens to require the car be stopped and the parking brake engaged. I'm sure they must've had legitimate reasons, but I still would've prefered manual operation.
I wish boxsters had manual tops too.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:03 PM   #9
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
It did seem counter to the S2000's mission to have a power top. At least it was fast to open and close! The Boxster's is slooooooowwwwww.

The MX-5's top really is slick to operate. Really really nice.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 02:29 PM   #10
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
It did seem counter to the S2000's mission to have a power top. At least it was fast to open and close! The Boxster's is slooooooowwwwww.

The MX-5's top really is slick to operate. Really really nice.
John, do you know how much the entire top assembly on a Boxster weighs? Is it worth gutting it if it's a fair-weather only car and just putting on the hardtop (optional, I know) when there is a chance of rain? I hate how the Boxsters look with the soft top up.