carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 11-05-2020, 08:20 AM   #11
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMike View Post

Have you had a positive experience with their services, or know someone that has? I'm not looking for them to come back perfect, just good enough so that it's at least not as noticeable as currently with the rash. Attached is the first wheel to be replaced. It's not "that" bad, but still bugs me, especially whenever I have to clean them, which is about once a month since I only put about 400 miles on them each month.
I've used them with good results. The wheels came back round (they weren't prior to sending) and nicely refinished.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 08:31 AM   #12
JST

I’ve had a few wheels straightened and refinished at a couple of local places. Generally have been happy with the result, especially on straightening, though I noticed the other day that the paint was flaking a little on the Tesla wheel.

I’d google around and see if you can find a local place. Or maybe call the BMW dealer and see if there’s a place they use.

As for wheels, M Parallels and 135s are probably still my favorite BMW designs. Love the BBS look of the 359M, which also was aped by the Enkeis that I bought as a winter set for my F80.

Speaking of which, the black/silver OEM wheels on the M3 have really grown on me. They’re subtle with a nice hint of flash, and when mounted the black centers emphasize the giant silver brake rotors behind.

https://www.fuchsfelge.com/en/wheel-...wheel-320.html
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 08:42 AM   #13
IndyMike
Elected by grace

Carmudgeonly Ride: 11 1 M; 11 328iT; 22 M240ix
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Looking at your list of cars. It is really is just a perfect combo. Just missing a convertible. A Boxster would totally round things out.
Thanks for noticing that distinction wdc330i. I guess you could say I have an addiction (fetish?) for odd vehicles that are either limited in numbers or desirability.

And I did have a limited experience with a vert one time in days of future past, and at times I do miss it, but more so because I was so enamored of red Tanin back in the day. Matched in combo with Steel grey it really was a sweet vehicle in that way.

If we decide to go through with moving to Tennessee in the next couple of years I may have to add the requirement of a 4th bay, or at least enough room to install a lift. Although the R32 is probably more likely to get the heave ho since there will be less need for an AWD in the stable.

I wouldn't mind adding a Miata, S2000, Boxster or even a Z3 depending upon how the numbers crunch out and bank the Warden gives me enough leash to play with.

Will cross those state lines and bridges if we get to them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P7260021.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	12921  

Last edited by IndyMike; 11-05-2020 at 08:49 AM. Reason: misspelled Tanin
IndyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 08:48 AM   #14
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Thanks for noticing that distinction wdc330i. I guess you could say I have an addiction (fetish?) for odd vehicles that are either lim ited in numbers or desirability.

And I did have a limited experience with a vert one time in days of future past, and at times I do miss it, but more so because I was so enamored of red Tannin back in the day. Matched in combo with Steel grey it really was a sweet vehicle in that way.

If we decide to go through with moving to Tennessee in the next couple of years I may have to add the requirement of a 4th bay, or at least enough room to install a lift. Although the R32 is probably more likely to get the heave ho since there will be less need for an AWD in the stable.

I wouldn't mind adding a Miata, S2000, Boxster or even a Z3 depending upon how the numbers crunch out and bank the Warden gives me enough leash to play with.

Will cross those state lines and bridges if we get to them.
I remember that car and that color combo. Really great. Such a combo is possible in a 2 series convertible. Just sayin’...
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 09:20 AM   #15
IndyMike
Elected by grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
I've used them with good results. The wheels came back round (they weren't prior to sending) and nicely refinished.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I’ve had a few wheels straightened and refinished at a couple of local places. Generally have been happy with the result, especially on straightening, though I noticed the other day that the paint was flaking a little on the Tesla wheel.

I’d google around and see if you can find a local place. Or maybe call the BMW dealer and see if there’s a place they use.

As for wheels, M Parallels and 135s are probably still my favorite BMW designs. Love the BBS look of the 359M, which also was aped by the Enkeis that I bought as a winter set for my F80.

Speaking of which, the black/silver OEM wheels on the M3 have really grown on me. They’re subtle with a nice hint of flash, and when mounted the black centers emphasize the giant silver brake rotors behind.

https://www.fuchsfelge.com/en/wheel-...wheel-320.html
Thanks for the testimonials gents. JST, I seem to recall you had a less than sterling experience not too long ago with one of your sets of wheels, so that made me a bit apprehensive to go forward with having them refinished. But I think it more comes down to the ability and attention to detail of the company making the corrections.

And you have the number of the mark of the beast wheels on the M3, right?

And so I have an idea, what is the ballpark I can expect to pay for this? Is $150 - $250 about right?
Old 11-05-2020, 09:25 AM   #16
JST

Quote:
Thanks for the testimonials gents. JST, I seem to recall you had a less than sterling experience not too long ago with one of your sets of wheels, so that made me a bit apprehensive to go forward with having them refinished. But I think it more comes down to the ability and attention to detail of the company making the corrections.

And you have the number of the mark of the beast wheels on the M3, right?

And so I have an idea, what is the ballpark I can expect to pay for this? Is $150 - $250 about right?

They painted the M3 wheel the wrong color, which was annoying, but they corrected it and actually the paint on the M3 wheel has been flawless.

I think that's the right ballpark for both painting and straightening. Another shop locally straightened a 21" Tesla wheel for like $110, but that was without paint.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 09:31 AM   #17
IndyMike
Elected by grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
I remember that car and that color combo. Really great. Such a combo is possible in a 2 series convertible. Just sayin’...
Is that a fact? Didn't know that. Is BMW still offering a steering retrofit option like they did for the 2001 E46?

I know, I know........

Old 11-05-2020, 10:27 AM   #18
IndyMike
Elected by grace

I just scoped out the BMW Build site (haven't been there in eons) and built a quick rendition of the 2er in Mineral Gray with Coral Red interior. Does not reek too bad IMO.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2020-11-05 Build Your Own – View Build and Get a Quote – BMW USA.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	12922  
Old 11-05-2020, 10:35 AM   #19
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Maybe I was oblivious before, but I seem to notice more car companies offering some hue of orange skin for their variants these days. Maybe orange has become the new red. Either way it is my new Crush now.

Thanks Terry. That is some exceptional advice you have offered. I also have even worse rash on the left front wheel, so the plan is to fix the right front first then swap it out with the left front and send that out for repair as well. That way I can either keep the spare around for the next incident, or sell it and recoup a little of the cost back. Most likely I will do the former. I currently have eight other wheels mounted on tires up in the attic, so what's one more. I guess you could accuse me of being a wheel hoarder, but I would deny it since my definition would be 10 sets or more.

Heaven help me if I ever jack up one of the rear wheels. I will be back on the that wheel merry-go-round again.

Have you had a positive experience with their services, or know someone that has? I'm not looking for them to come back perfect, just good enough so that it's at least not as noticeable as currently with the rash. Attached is the first wheel to be replaced. It's not "that" bad, but still bugs me, especially whenever I have to clean them, which is about once a month since I only put about 400 miles on them each month.
The folks in Bath did a great job fixing a rim on my old Audi A6. I did have to build a wooden, plywood box for shipping there and back

Just remember to remove any rim center insert. I forgot, and rim was returned without it, was easy to get one from Audi, but a stupid added expense
Old 11-05-2020, 11:23 AM   #20
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
I just scoped out the BMW Build site (haven't been there in eons) and built a quick rendition of the 2er in Mineral Gray with Coral Red interior. Does not reek too bad IMO.
Last chance. I think (not sure) this is the last year for the RWD 2...I also think I've seen that combo before, so there actually might be some on the used market. The M235i would be a very decent deal at this point.

Keep an eye out here:
https://www.2addicts.com/forums/

Edit: Bam! https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1769259

And another: https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1769199 (Although, maybe this one is black. Gray is much better.)
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote