carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 02-24-2019, 01:17 PM   #91
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Consolidating? 340i AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
Is it that it has a CPO warranty that equ can't trade in, or that it has no warranty because equ is buying from a dealer?

BMW cheapened their included warranty/maintenance offering over the past few years to improve margins - cut the 4 year full maintenance to 3 year scheduled maintenance only (no coverage for wear items) with option to buy back the better coverage, maintenance no longer transfers unless you pay a fee to “refresh” it, and now the CPO coverage doesn’t automatically transfer either. They got tired seeing “active” CPO cars reselling and still carrying the coverage, basically off brand dealers getting marketing benefit of selling cars that were previously certified. Like many other brands, also moving to 1-yr unlimited mileage as the CPO baseline with options to buy longer coverage terms for more $$. Now everything (maintenance, CPO) is offered as a watered down base offering with options to upgrade each for a fee... = more profit potential for BMW and dealers. On a private party sale, there is a fee to transfer maintenance and CPO warranty.
Old 02-24-2019, 01:55 PM   #92
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
now the CPO coverage doesn’t automatically transfer either. They got tired seeing “active” CPO cars reselling and still carrying the coverage, basically off brand dealers getting marketing benefit of selling cars that were previously certified.
That's awful. Will the original factory warranty soon be for the original owner only?

Someone should remind them there are other ways to improve margins - like making cars that people actually want to buy.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 02:19 PM   #93
Alan
Carmudgeon

I think the cost of maintenance must have been a very large expense for every new car BMW sold ... all the other car companies cut out the included maintenance a long ago (Audi, Mercedes, etc).

I know when I had/have it on my cars they also said on the invoice, 'customer complained the wiper blades were bad' I don't thing I ever said this once but I would always come back to a car with new wiper blades.

They would change your brakes even though nothing would be wrong ... at least that I could tell

BTW I do notice that on my current cars they include the first year maintenance for free accept for the Acura MDX but that dealer charges so little for the first maintenance it doesn't really matter (under $100.).
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 07:07 PM   #94
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
That's awful. Will the original factory warranty soon be for the original owner only?

Someone should remind them there are other ways to improve margins - like making cars that people actually want to buy.
When I was researching CPO Teslas, I ended up reading the CPO warranties of MB, Porsche, Audi and BMW as well. They're all pretty stingy now and it definitely is worth reading them if you're considering one. A few things that stuck out:
-Audi's CPO doesn't cover radio/nav issues!
-BMW and MB was only for 1 additional year beyond the original
-Tesla's replaces the original warranty with the CPO one even if it would otherwise still be in effect. The CPO warranty is also lost if it is ever sold by a non Tesla dealer (private party is ok). Tesla is the most generous with extending the coverage- as long as the car is under 4/50 they'll add an additional 4/50 of warranty coverage.
-They all exclude squeaks/rattles (except Porsche)
-Porsches seemed like the most thorough.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 07:48 PM   #95
rumatt
Mugwump

Yeah. Porsche's is legit.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:09 PM   #96
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
Yeah. Porsche's is legit.
I’ve had 2 CPOs, one BMW and one Porsche.

Porsche was great. No out of pocket cost for any warranty items. But about the only warranty thing I had was a broken part in the top mechanism (apparently a common issue). That car was incredibly reliable...

BMW nickel and dimed. I had nearly $2k of repairs not covered by it, over half of which was replacement of a headlight that was declared as a wear item... I’ll never get another CPO BMW (and unlikely to get any BMW again...)

I also had the extended warranty on my Model S, which is similar to the CPO warranty. This added another 50k miles to the original warranty (and up to 8 years). Had a few things covered by it,and Tesla waived the deductible for all but one repair.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:44 PM   #97
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
I’ve had 2 CPOs, one BMW and one Porsche.

Porsche was great. No out of pocket cost for any warranty items. But about the only warranty thing I had was a broken part in the top mechanism (apparently a common issue). That car was incredibly reliable...

BMW nickel and dimed. I had nearly $2k of repairs not covered by it, over half of which was replacement of a headlight that was declared as a wear item... I’ll never get another CPO BMW (and unlikely to get any BMW again...)

I also had the extended warranty on my Model S, which is similar to the CPO warranty. This added another 50k miles to the original warranty (and up to 8 years). Had a few things covered by it,and Tesla waived the deductible for all but one repair.
Interestingly, the tesla used (CPO) warranty has no deductible yet the extended warranty does.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 04:53 AM   #98
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Interestingly, the tesla used (CPO) warranty has no deductible yet the extended warranty does.
That probably explains why I mostly didn’t pay it
Old 02-25-2019, 08:51 AM   #99
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
I need to fix what I wrote. The CPO is transferable once, it seems, private owner to private owner, filling out forms and paying $200... It doesn't just stay with the VIN anymore. It also stays if you trade in to a BMW dealer.

It is down from 6/100 to 5/unlimited. Given the low mileage I drive, this was a negative surprise. I did so little research, I found this out while signing the paperwork in the back office. I guess I thought I knew what CPO meant (having had three). I used to be an overly analytical sort. I guess I've changed, I'm finding humor in missing this. It might be less funny two years from now when the warranty is up...

CPO and maintenance have been de-contented. Apparently 2016's had 4/50 maintenance instead of the current 3/36 but that is not transferable either, so I don't even get one free service visit. Wah wah...

Otherwise, the car is fine. It's not "thrilling", but it doesn't annoy. It's along the lines of what I've driven for two decades so it feels like coming home after the Jeep & Macan forays. C likes it a lot. I'm not 100% sold on the LED headlights, I think xenons had just as good coverage if not better. Perhaps these are cheaper/more reliable.

Nitpicks:
* ride is not as luxo/smooth as the 5, even five years newer.
* interior plastics are harder. This is not a huge issue for me.
* I'd like to split steering weight and suspension firmness in the sport mode. Comfort has both soft. I'd really like steering always a bit firmer than it is in comfort and even sport is pretty light. Not terrible though. There are some rev-matches to get used to as well.

Positives:
* Gearbox is much smoother than the 535i. Much. Might be the smoothest MT BMW I've driven.
* General light, peppy feeling. The nose doesn't feel heavy or boaty or have a mind of its own.
* Option advantages over my 5: folding rear seats, HK stereo.
* Not many doodads tech in this spec. Nice old orange glow and basic instruments.
* Engine is very linear. Hardest to feel turbo lag ever.
* I do prefer it to the e90 (although it's been a while since I've had one or been in one). Just more comfortable interior.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XGtVjZn6eHJsFZep8

Last edited by equ; 02-25-2019 at 09:11 AM.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 09:36 AM   #100
rumatt
Mugwump

Oh I get it. You bought from a BMW dealer so you do still get the CPO. But it's 1 year shorter than you expected.

Car looks great.

What year is the car again? The link is long gone so I can't reference.