carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 11-27-2006, 02:37 PM   #1
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Well, it looks like we wont be getting an SUV.

I convinced my wife to stop by and look at the GL and ML and Land cruiser.

She thought the MB SUV's were cool but then sat in the E350 wagon and said that is what she'd prefer. We then stopped by to look at a TLC and quickly dismissed it since the gate opens up AND down, and when the gate is open it's hard to reach over to access the 3rd row seats. But even if we totally remove them, she just hated how big it was. At that point she said to forget it, that she wanted a wagon and to stop bugging her to go look at SUV's.

So I guess that's it. She said she rather have a used, less reliable E-wagon (if the V70R thing doesn't pan out for some reason) than an SUV. She also saw the new passat wagon and despite being a VW fangirl, she could not warm up to it.

The V70R I found was sold on Wednesday. I am not lowballing an '06 in CT (totally loaded to 48.5K MSRP) - offered 38K with 7year/100K warranty). We'll see how that goes. If that doesn't pan out, we may do ED if we have no baby news, and if not we'll just sit tight until spring/summer and weigh our options then.

Last edited by FC; 11-27-2006 at 02:43 PM.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 09:10 AM   #2
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
i reached the same conclusion for myself after sitting in almost everything one could imagine at the boston auto show.

the interior of the E350wagen is nice. it's not inexpensive, is the biggest problem. my thought process throughout this wagon seeking has been if i could achieve the performance of the outback XT with maybe some more niceties, that would be ideal.

the a4 class is too small. the 3er is too small. the e60wagen and the a6avant both are quite nice, but if i'm going to go with an unreliable german car, it might as well be an MB. that and the MB has the largest displacement engine with the best torque (AUC and peak#'s).

if the outback XT was just a tad nicer, it'd be a no brainer for me. the pendulum would swing back to it if they also saw fit to up the power by a nice margin this year or next.

lemming is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 09:31 AM   #3
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
i reached the same conclusion for myself after sitting in almost everything one could imagine at the boston auto show.

the interior of the E350wagen is nice. it's not inexpensive, is the biggest problem. my thought process throughout this wagon seeking has been if i could achieve the performance of the outback XT with maybe some more niceties, that would be ideal.

the a4 class is too small. the 3er is too small. the e60wagen and the a6avant both are quite nice, but if i'm going to go with an unreliable german car, it might as well be an MB. that and the MB has the largest displacement engine with the best torque (AUC and peak#'s).

if the outback XT was just a tad nicer, it'd be a no brainer for me. the pendulum would swing back to it if they also saw fit to up the power by a nice margin this year or next.
I did a search and there are low-mile CPO '04 E500 wagons for $40K asking price. I may have to test drive one. Sure, it's 3 year sold now, and almost as expensive as a brand-new V70R, but would not mind the 5.0L engine nor all the features the E-wagon has (4-zone climate control, air suspension, etc, etc).
Old 11-28-2006, 09:40 AM   #4
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
I did a search and there are low-mile CPO '04 E500 wagons for $40K asking price. I may have to test drive one. Sure, it's 3 year sold now, and almost as expensive as a brand-new V70R, but would not mind the 5.0L engine nor all the features the E-wagon has (4-zone climate control, air suspension, etc, etc).
all depends for me.

i really loathe preowned cars, in general. i'd have to meet up with the former owner, see how he/she treats their other cars. if they had kids, that'd kill the deal for me.

if the wheels had curb rash, i'd avoid the car like the plague.

Old 11-28-2006, 09:54 AM   #5
dredmo
Chillaxin'

Carmudgeonly Ride: '05 C50, '04 F-150
Quote:
I convinced my wife to stop by and look at the GL and ML and Land cruiser.

She thought the MB SUV's were cool but then sat in the E350 wagon and said that is what she'd prefer. We then stopped by to look at a TLC and quickly dismissed it since the gate opens up AND down, and when the gate is open it's hard to reach over to access the 3rd row seats. But even if we totally remove them, she just hated how big it was. At that point she said to forget it, that she wanted a wagon and to stop bugging her to go look at SUV's.

So I guess that's it. She said she rather have a used, less reliable E-wagon (if the V70R thing doesn't pan out for some reason) than an SUV. She also saw the new passat wagon and despite being a VW fangirl, she could not warm up to it.

The V70R I found was sold on Wednesday. I am not lowballing an '06 in CT (totally loaded to 48.5K MSRP) - offered 38K with 7year/100K warranty). We'll see how that goes. If that doesn't pan out, we may do ED if we have no baby news, and if not we'll just sit tight until spring/summer and weigh our options then.

Any chance of you guys checking out a 4 door F-150 2007?

seats 5 very comfortably, ride like a car, and can make those dump runs better than anything.

Oh yeah, and it tows 9K.
dredmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 10:23 AM   #6
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredmo View Post
Any chance of you guys checking out a 4 door F-150 2007?

seats 5 very comfortably, ride like a car, and can make those dump runs better than anything.

Oh yeah, and it tows 9K.
no way.

maybe a new silverado, but not an F150.

Old 11-28-2006, 10:32 AM   #7
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Congrats on not getting an SUV!
Old 11-28-2006, 10:36 AM   #8
dredmo
Chillaxin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
no way.

maybe a new silverado, but not an F150.
*scratches head*

Well, whatever, same concept.

Why 'no way' on the Ford?

I drive both Fords (personal) and Chevys (work) - to include my 04' F150 FX4 and a 2005 Heavy Duty Chevy. The Ford has better interior, a better ride, better suspension, better towing at the entry level, more HP, and better durability. Both are great, but I'm guessing it's a looks factor or something? Anyways, do tell.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:41 AM   #9
FC
Solving problems

Ugh, sorry, but no. I absolutely cannot stand my father's F150. I drive liek a grandma in it. I hate driving it anywhere. I honestly rather tow a trailer than borrow his truck when hauling stuff, nevermind using it as a family vehicle.

BTW, lemming, one E500 for example, has 19K miles, CPO and is loaded to the tune of more than 70K MSRP when new. Asking price is 43K but it is also on ebay currently for 38K. That means the car can be had for ~half of what it cost new.

Considering the 339lb-ft you get from the V8 that is no longer available new, that is worth looking at, imo.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:45 AM   #10
dredmo
Chillaxin'

Quote:
Ugh, sorry, but no. I absolutely cannot stand my father's F150. I drive liek a grandma in it. I hate driving it anywhere. I honestly rather tow a trailer than borrow his truck when hauling stuff, nevermind using it as a family vehicle.

BTW, lemming, one E500 for example, has 19K miles, CPO and is loaded to the tune of more than 70K MSRP when new. Asking price is 43K but it is also on ebay currently for 38K. That means the car can be had for ~half of what it cost new.

Considering the 339lb-ft you get from the V8 that is no longer available new, that is worth looking at, imo.
Can I ask what year the F150 is?

If it is 2003 or prior I would tell you it is a POS not worthy of buying. But if it is a 04 or later I'd be suprised by your assessment, yet it is yours to freely assess,