carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 03-15-2022, 10:16 PM   #131
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
New model supply chain issues:

So, I have only the bare bones carpeted cargo floor in my car right now. There is no rubber/vinyl cargo liner available yet in the US. And, of course, my son put his backpack with large thermos in the back this am without securing the top…

It’s a good thing I went on a Costco run about three hours later and discovered the area was very wet as I was unloading.

Spent the day with shop vac, blower, and a shop fan trying to dry out the area.

Under the carpeted cargo floor is the mild hybrid battery. Looks dry down there, but might not have been had I caught it later. The underside of the cargo panel was already starting to feel damp.

I have some hanging drying agent bags to put in there overnight, but the garage is unconditioned and we will have a ton of rain tomorrow. I hope I don’t have lingering issues. In GA, it would be helpful to have a dehumidified garage at the at very least.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 07:01 AM   #132
Alan
Carmudgeon

Gotta love our kids … if it was only water I am sure it will be fine.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 07:10 AM   #133
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Have you checked to see if anything is avail on Amazon? I bought a rimmed trunk liner for the Model 3 a few years ago that fits well. After the accident repair, I had a leaky trunk that took several visits to both the body shop and Tesla to fix — and I didn’t want any surprises, so bought this to both contain the leak and make it more visible. I still get drips into the trunk when opening it while it’s raining (Tesla’s design is not good - water runs off the rear glass and while most us channeled through a drainage, some spills over the trunk seal into the trunk). Neither the S or Y have that problem — water drains without getting in the back…

Last edited by ZBB; 03-16-2022 at 07:34 AM.
ZBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 07:30 AM   #134
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
Have you checked to see if anything is avail on Amazon? I bought a rimmed trunk liner for the Model 3 a few years ago that fits well. After the accident repair, I had a leaky trunk that took several visits to both the body shop and Tesla to fix — and I didn’t want any surprises, so bought this to both contain the leak and make it more visible. I still get drips into the trunk when opening it while it’s raining (Tesla’s design is not good - water runs off the rear glass and while most us channeled through a drainage, some Congress over the trunk seal into the trunk). Neither the S or Y have that problem — water drains without getting in the back…
I have scoured Amazon. The cut to fit ones are the wrong configuration and have too much structure where I’d need to cut. There is a liner coming, just has not been brought over from Germany yet.

I ordered something yesterday in desperation. It is too small by 7 inches all around, but it will cover most of the area until I get a properly-sized OEM or Weathertech thing. Just don’t love Weathertech’s quality.
Old 03-16-2022, 09:32 AM   #135
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Here's the link to the one I purchased. I like it -- it actually isn't rimmed, but the diamond pattern in it holds spills of reasonable size, making it easy to dry (in my case, rain drips...). Its also thinner material than the OEM ones that BMW sells (we had one in our 2009 3 touring), so its easier to move (although I really don't take it out, but I do access the cavity under it frequently and it doesn't get in the way and only adds marginal weight when opening that panel...).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I suspect they or others will have one out for your car shortly -- normally doesn't take long for those companies to measure for fit and then start cutting them to fit...
Old 03-16-2022, 09:50 AM   #136
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
Here's the link to the one I purchased. I like it -- it actually isn't rimmed, but the diamond pattern in it holds spills of reasonable size, making it easy to dry (in my case, rain drips...). Its also thinner material than the OEM ones that BMW sells (we had one in our 2009 3 touring), so its easier to move (although I really don't take it out, but I do access the cavity under it frequently and it doesn't get in the way and only adds marginal weight when opening that panel...).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I suspect they or others will have one out for your car shortly -- normally doesn't take long for those companies to measure for fit and then start cutting them to fit...
Thanks.

I think part of the problem is that the only cars arriving at dealers are pre-sold. So the "custom" companies are having a hard time getting their hands on new models. I've seen posts about them asking for folks to bring their cars in for measurement, in exchange for a free whatever.
Old 03-24-2022, 05:39 PM   #137
Alan
Carmudgeon

Wdc you have to be loving that M440, today I was driving the M340 which is a rarity and I have to say that car is absolutely awesome. I really think bmw did a great job on it and I can absolutely see myself daily driving it. The hybrid is really cool too …. I think you made an excellent choice on yours.

The only suggestion I would make is to see how much the spare tire kit cost, I ordered it on all 3 of my bmw’s even though ours all have run flats but as a factory order it is only $150., I know to get it afterwards is more but you need some type of spare being you don’t have runflats.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 05:49 PM   #138
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Wdc you have to be loving that M440, today I was driving the M340 which is a rarity and I have to say that car is absolutely awesome. I really think bmw did a great job on it and I can absolutely see myself daily driving it. The hybrid is really cool too …. I think you made an excellent choice on yours.

The only suggestion I would make is to see how much the spare tire kit cost, I ordered it on all 3 of my bmw’s even though ours all have run flats but as a factory order it is only $150., I know to get it afterwards is more but you need some type of spare being you don’t have runflats.
Thanks, Alan. I am loving it. Great car for me in my current situation.

I've been dithering about a spare solution (remember, I did not have one for my 2 either.)

But, I have the 20-inch wheels. I haven't found any turnkey solution yet.

…and I have the round trip to PDC next month….

Last edited by wdc330i; 03-24-2022 at 06:51 PM.
Old 03-24-2022, 07:15 PM   #139
dan
redefined

I have an m340i loaner right now and wow, what a leap forward from my 2012 interior

The hybrid/sleeping engine thing is super super annoying though
Old 03-24-2022, 07:32 PM   #140
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan View Post
I have an m340i loaner right now and wow, what a leap forward from my 2012 interior

The hybrid/sleeping engine thing is super super annoying though
The interior is a stellar improvement. Like moving up from an old 3 series to a 5.

Just put the car in sport and you will bypass sleeping beauty mode.

I’m not doing that until I’m through with break-in. Sensitive to oil burning issues now!

And, the start/stop doesn’t really bother me when I am in relaxed mode myself.