carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 11-14-2019, 10:34 PM   #41
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
So I drove the 2019 Boxster S, I still have the concern of comfort being the seat back is against the firewall but I really love the car and the way it drives except for one thing ...

The blind spot is horrible, I literally accelerated hard while switching lanes just to make sure no one was in that lane. I guess I could put those little circle mirrors on the exterior mirrors but I have to tell you I always felt some here are so much more into the whole pure feel of the perfect sports car but I think the cayman is better overall unless you live in the sunny states.

I love the idea of a convertible but am thinking the Cayman might be the better overall car because it is just as fun and can be driven more spirited without the huge blind spot.
argh who knows ... i’ll see what happens.
Find one with Lane Change Assist. It’s essential.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:06 PM   #42
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Find one with Lane Change Assist. It’s essential.
Is it that much worse than the 987s? Because my car doesn't really have any blind spot to speak of, with the mirrors adjusted.

Also, if you never put the top up, it's even better. That would be impractical for AF except that he has like nine other cars.

Actually, Alan, you should legit consider a Spyder.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:15 PM   #43
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Isn't the extra effort putting the top up/down kind of a buzz kill?
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:17 PM   #44
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
Isn't the extra effort putting the top up/down kind of a buzz kill?
Quote:
I
Also, if you never put the top up, it's even better. That would be impractical for AF except that he has like nine other cars.
I thought he covered that

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:34 PM   #45
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Is it that much worse than the 987s? Because my car doesn't really have any blind spot to speak of, with the mirrors adjusted.

Dunno. Seems pretty blind. And the cabin is windy, even with the alleged wind blocker. From a visibility and climate comfort standpoint, I prefer my 2. Of course, the Boxster performs better. But the 2 is easier to live as a daily driver. It’s as easy to live with as a sedan, but with sports car fun and drop top transcendence.

If I could have multiple cars, the Boxster would be in the mix. But it would not make the cut as an only car. My 2 could. (although still dithering about having to haul two dogs and a kid around in it every other week). Without the two dogs—no problem.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 05:34 AM   #46
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I've never noticed a big blind spot in our Boxster. Backing out of a parking spot takes a little more care than a normal car, but driving down the road and changing lanes isn't anything to worry about.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 01:02 PM   #47
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Speaking of Boxster’s why are there not any Non GT4 981’s on Bat. I mean they command a premium in the market place at the moment so it would make sense but they are never there like 986, 987’s are.
Old 11-15-2019, 02:34 PM   #48
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I saw a post on another board I frequent where a guy had his Cayman GTS listing denied by BAT, because they were worried it would drag down the GT4 sales they had

BAT is just a joke at this point.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 03:09 PM   #49
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I saw a post on another board I frequent where a guy had his Cayman GTS listing denied by BAT, because they were worried it would drag down the GT4 sales they had

There was a string of RNM cars the other day. Really made me wonder whether their model is starting to break down.

EDIT:

In part, it's that there are just too many cars. They have 53 auctions closing today. It used to be that you could casually check the site and get a good, eclectic slice of some rare and interesting cars, but now if you don't spend an hour or more on it every day you won't keep up.

But this car with less than 2 hours remaining is only at 15K.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1994-bmw-m3-13/

Might end up being a decent deal at no reserve.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 03:09 PM   #50
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post

Another site ruined by data analyst telling the owners what to do to produce the highest profit instead of the most interesting for the consumer.

And I’m a data analyst!