carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 03-30-2016, 11:08 PM   #51
JST

800 miles in a day is a lot different than 300 miles without stopping for anything. Even a short walk can really refresh you.

For a 300 mile trip in a Tesla, the question is "is there a supercharger en route?" If so, the trip ain't no thing. Is it as fast as doing it in a gas car? No, probably not. But the actual charging you need to do for a trip like that is pretty minimal. Park car, plug it in, go to the bathroom, get a cup of coffee, check Facebook or 'mudgeons. Then you're on your way. I do a roughly 300 mile trip to NYC 'burbs quite frequently, and it takes me about the same amount of time in the Tesla as it does in the VW. The difference is well within the traffic margin of error.

As for other trips, you just have to plan a bit more than you otherwise would. Is there a supercharger near your route? Is there a charger at your destination? I will say I've literally never encountered "range anxiety," in the sense that I've been worried about running out of juice before reaching a place to charge. Has not happened in 2.5 years of owning the car. Once you know where you're going, you go there. Physics is what it is, and it's easy enough to track your consumption. No surprises.

Like I said above, it's not going to work for everyone, and it does require some changes in behavior. But overall I've been pleasantly surprised by just how little I've had to change how I drive, and on a day to day basis it's actually awesome. Car's always full and ready to go in the morning. At least 350+ days out of the year, the Tesla is a hell of a lot more convenient to refuel than the VW is.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 12:32 AM   #52
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
We did an 850 mile day in the Tesla a couple summers ago -- from Cannon Beach, OR to San Jose, CA. All driving was at ~5 over the limit. There were 6 supercharging stops -- but 3 were at meal times, and the car was ready before we were so didn't add any extra time to the trip. The other 3 stops were a exactly like JST described -- plug in, grab a drink and/or snack, hit the restroom, sit down and browse the web for a bit, or go for a short walk. Then get back on the road. Still made for a long day -- about 17 hours hotel to hotel, but neither my wife or I felt tired (although I drove all but 1 stretch)...

We've driven to Disneyland a few times over the years, with the last 2 in the Tesla. It takes about 45 min longer in the Tesla due to charging stops compared to taking an ICE -- from a bit under 7.5 hours to a bit over 8 hours, which is hardly noticabe. We actually stop the same number of times -- but the Tesla stops are a bit longer on average.

It is a change -- but not significant.
Old 03-31-2016, 05:46 AM   #53
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
It's not a significant change... for you.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:34 AM   #54
JST

Right. Some people should not buy EVs. They aren't the right fit.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 08:07 AM   #55
zach
swinging for the fences

Carmudgeonly Ride: 987, X7 M60i, e36 M3
There is a ridiculous line outside the Tesla location in the Prudential mall across from my office. Maybe it'll dissipate later in the day so I can go put down my deposit.
zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 10:40 AM   #56
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
This is far too much like the original iphone launches. :/

People do realize that at some point they are supposed to be buying a car right?

GM execs must be eating their hats today.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 10:52 AM   #57
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Someone on another board pointed out it would have been glorious if Apple had chosen this morning to introduce a new iKoolAid product.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 10:56 AM   #58
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Someone on another board pointed out it would have been glorious if Apple had chosen this morning to introduce a new iKoolAid product.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 10:58 AM   #59
ZBB
Relic

Somebody created a spreadsheet to track the lines (and a form to input length)...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Longest reported line is 600 people... Scottsdale apparently is over 130...
Old 03-31-2016, 11:02 AM   #60
ZBB
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Right. Some people should not buy EVs. They aren't the right fit.
I agree with that statement, but with a relatively minor caveat..

They aren't the right fit based on their current perception of what a car should do. A shift in perception could mean that they can become the right fit.

For some people, that may be a small shift in perception. Others, it might take more.
  • If someone never does road trips, there is no perception shift needed.
  • If someone does occasional road trips on major interstates only, a small perception shift is needed -- basically understanding that Superchargers work, but do take a bit longer than a gas 'n go fill up...
  • If someone does long trips to remote areas, a much bigger shift may be needed -- understanding charging options and how long it could take. Or looking to rent a car for this trips