carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 04-21-2020, 07:29 PM   #781
kognito
older fart than ZBB

It also has a 5 band EQ, what else could you possibly need in those days
Old 04-22-2020, 07:49 PM   #782
Alan
Carmudgeon

Josh ... was thinking about you today since I took the 911 out to go to my daily office visit ... gotta say I love these 911’s ... they are completely awesome.

Glad to hear you are loving the experience.

Btw I have the multi functional steering wheel on both Porsche’s ... it looks like Pontiac really knows how to include everything compared to Porsche
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 05:39 PM   #783
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post

They did a good job blocking out 7th gear so you only access it when you really want to. 99% of the time the gearbox acts like a 6th speed.
Just a quick comment though you probably know this but you can shift from 5th to 7th skipping 6th gear.... this is what I do 99% of the time and rarely ever use 6th gear ...

Quote:

Some things are very smart. If you stall just put the clutch in and it re-starts.
The best feature ever ... it still saves me to this day and yes I'm embarrassed a car I've owned for 8 years and I still stall out at least once a year.

Quote:
The Pirelli tires are both very loud and not very grippy, especially when cold. They also have a very pronounced 'acorn effect' when you first drive off in it where the front wheels skip/hop a bit and it feels like you are driving over acorns. I had noticed it in the 981 we rented, so it didn't petrify me when I first felt it in my car, but it did send me on a google rabbit hole trying to find the root cause (the ackerman effect of tires tracing slightly different arcs).

Arghh ... I can't stand this skipping effect ... when I put winter tires on the 911 it stopped it though the Cayman still does it in the cold weather and it has Goodyears and the R8 which had Continentals did the same thing ... when the weather gets warmer it goes away.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 09:35 PM   #784
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Just a quick comment though you probably know this but you can shift from 5th to 7th skipping 6th gear.... this is what I do 99% of the time and rarely ever use...
Just watched this

And he mentioned not being able to skip up gears too. Not sure if I would like that since that is one of the points of a manual, gear selection. I skip gears all the time with my cars if just cruising.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 01:38 PM   #785
lip277
The old cranky SOB....

Carmudgeonly Ride: several cars... way too many....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
Just watched this

And he mentioned not being able to skip up gears too. Not sure if I would like that since that is one of the points of a manual, gear selection. I skip gears all the time with my cars if just cruising.
Reminds me of the (opposite) thing that I recall in old Corvette's... They had a lockout of certain gear that you could not select it at times... Funny how that is the opposite as this is....

1970 2800CS - - 2001 740iL - - 2006 997.1 - - 2012 Escalade
1968 Mustang GT Convertible - - 2003 Ford F250 PSD - - 1985 728i
lip277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 04:09 PM   #786
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Just a quick comment though you probably know this but you can shift from 5th to 7th skipping 6th gear.... this is what I do 99% of the time and rarely ever use 6th gear ...

The best feature ever ... it still saves me to this day and yes I'm embarrassed a car I've owned for 8 years and I still stall out at least once a year.

Arghh ... I can't stand this skipping effect ... when I put winter tires on the 911 it stopped it though the Cayman still does it in the cold weather and it has Goodyears and the R8 which had Continentals did the same thing ... when the weather gets warmer it goes away.
Exactly, every porsche I've ever had (996, 987, 997, 981) all did it, with the exception of it being very muted on the 981 with snow tires and /40 profiles.

I love the clutch in restart; I stall the boxster occasionally; trying not to burn the clutch. The 987.1 and 997.1 had feel in the clutch. Somehow with the 2009, .2 improvements to engines and many other things, clutch feel was lost. At least on the mid-engined ones.

My #1 complaint with the 981 is noticeable tall gearing. Porsche's lazy solution adding an inch to total diameter and keeping engines, transmissions and final drive the same from 987.2.

My #2 complaint with the 981 is the handbrake location and button push instead of pull.

Last edited by equ; 04-26-2020 at 04:56 PM.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 06:43 PM   #787
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by lip277 View Post
Reminds me of the (opposite) thing that I recall in old Corvette's... They had a lockout of certain gear that you could not select it at times... Funny how that is the opposite as this is....
Yeah I was remembering the same thing with the Corvette. Thought most people remove it.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 08:24 AM   #788
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lip277 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
Yeah I was remembering the same thing with the Corvette. Thought most people remove it.
CAGS "Computer Aided Gear Selection" (or "skip-shift") was introduced on the 1989 Corvette when they went from the weird 4+3 (which was a four speed with an electro-hydraulic overdrive that worked on 2nd, 3rd, and 4th) to a six speed and has been present on Tremec T56 and TR-6060 six speeds ever since in GM and Mopar cars. The Camaro I expect to buy has it.

It blocks shifts from 1-2, instead forcing 1-4 shifts, when speed is in a certain range (I think it's usually been between 15-20 mph) and throttle wasn't beyond a certain point (load under a threshold) when lifting for the shift.

Short shift before 15mph or whatever and it works like normal. Shift beyond that, and it's fine. Accelerate harder than the threshold and it's fine. Shift like many people do most of the time in normal driving and it will force 1-4.

It's there as a measure to help the cars make better MPG numbers.

It's easily defeatable and GM went as far as including "Do not take these specific steps or it will stop working" (don't call them instructions) in the 1989 Corvette owner's manual. All you need to do is cut a wire to a solenoid on the outside of the transmission (although the PCM in some cars flips out if you cut the wire which led to a lot of people selling resistor kits in the $10 range).

I've driven a bunch of these cars where it hasn't been disabled. It doesn't intervene that often, but when it does, it's annoying.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 11:52 AM   #789
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
It's easily defeatable and GM went as far as including "Do not take these specific steps or it will stop working" (don't call them instructions) in the 1989 Corvette owner's manual.
Ha- that's great. Seems ripe for Doug Demuro video.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 12:39 PM   #790
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
It's easily defeatable and GM went as far as including "Do not take these specific steps or it will stop working" (don't call them instructions) in the 1989 Corvette owner's manual.