carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 09-07-2007, 07:57 AM   #1
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Holy cow, the 550i is expensive!

It STARTS at $58.5K

I optioned it with little more than the $4.6K SP and CWP, and it comes up to $65K. I then go check out the E550 just for kicks and that thing starts at $60K.

I knew these cars weren't cheap, but mid-$60K's?

No, I'm not buying one of course. Just curious as to how much a nice V8 sedan costs now. And I just don't see one can justify the nearly 8-10K spread over a 535i. For 65K, I think I rather buy an M3/4, or even an RS4. I'd be willing to give up a bit of size for that trade.

...More and more I think eventually (when the R goes) we'll wind up with a roomy SUV for vacation trips/bad weather/big shopping trips and a MT, roomy, sports sedan for everything else. But at those prices, maybe we should just use that SUV more often and buy a MCS.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 08:33 AM   #2
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
E39 540i?

Roomy SUV for "big shopping trips?" How much stuff do you buy??
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 08:35 AM   #3
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Just curious as to how much a nice V8 sedan costs now.
~$35k fully loaded

bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 08:39 AM   #4
JST

Quote:
It STARTS at $58.5K

I optioned it with little more than the $4.6K SP and CWP, and it comes up to $65K. I then go check out the E550 just for kicks and that thing starts at $60K.

I knew these cars weren't cheap, but mid-$60K's?

No, I'm not buying one of course. Just curious as to how much a nice V8 sedan costs now. And I just don't see one can justify the nearly 8-10K spread over a 535i. For 65K, I think I rather buy an M3/4, or even an RS4. I'd be willing to give up a bit of size for that trade.

...More and more I think eventually (when the R goes) we'll wind up with a roomy SUV for vacation trips/bad weather/big shopping trips and a MT, roomy, sports sedan for everything else. But at those prices, maybe we should just use that SUV more often and buy a MCS.
Why would anyone, anywhere buy a 550 over a 535? Seriously. Look at the performance difference--there is essentially none. The 535 is just as fast, is lighter, is cheaper, and gets better gas mileage.

Now, even the 535 is punishingly expensive, but it's a hell of a lot cheaper than the 550. And the 535 is available in AWD wagon form, which I would think would be the ideal car for you.

Kind of big for me, though.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 08:41 AM   #5
BahnBaum
Tilting Rocinante

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
~$35k fully loaded

I like it.

Alex
Old 09-07-2007, 08:45 AM   #6
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
E39 540i?

Roomy SUV for "big shopping trips?" How much stuff do you buy??
You'd be surprised hwo much crap we get on BJ's/Costco runs. And then there are large items.

But mostly, it would be vacations. I'm not talking Suburban, Sequoia, here, but I want more than the Volvo can hold. The assumption here is that we would have 2 kids plus the dog by then too. I like the diesel GL. It is pretty light and "compact" for how roomy it is. It's just over 5000lbs (See R66 Avant at 4500lbs).
Old 09-07-2007, 08:50 AM   #7
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
~$35k fully loaded

Not that I won't consider it if that time comes, but I would think I would want something a bit more upscale. Unfortunately, the new CTS-V will be way too overpowered and expensive because something like the last-gen (but new a few years from now) would be great (~400/400/under 4000lbs for under $50K).

I REALLY, REALLY am not willing to cross the 4000lbs mark. Heck, I never thought I would say that about 3500lbs, but here we are. As I said, I think I just learn to live with the slighly smaller 3er class if BMW is the only car that makes me smile.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:03 AM   #8
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Why would anyone, anywhere buy a 550 over a 535? Seriously. Look at the performance difference--there is essentially none. The 535 is just as fast, is lighter, is cheaper, and gets better gas mileage.

Now, even the 535 is punishingly expensive, but it's a hell of a lot cheaper than the 550. And the 535 is available in AWD wagon form, which I would think would be the ideal car for you.

Kind of big for me, though.
First let me clarify that we are talking next-gen 5er here. But yes to the 535 vs. 550 thing.

I like the idea of a 535xi wagon. But if we already have an SUV, we wouldn't need and maybe don't want a heavier AWD wagon when a sedan would do (though the 5er touring cargo area is compact vs MB and Volvo, which in this new situation would actually be nice). A 535xiT is still a good bit more than a 535i.

I'd like to think I have an open mind and I'm not married to BMW, but let's face it, they really have it nailed vs the competition. And with their great ED program (experience + discount) and free maintenance, it would be hard to say no if they offer the right car.

But there is PLENTY of time to sort all this out.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:10 AM   #9
BahnBaum
Tilting Rocinante

Quote:
and free maintenance
I'm not sure how good a deal it really is, and that can only be calculated if we knew what the cars would self for if they drop the program.

Having said that, it won't surprise me if they follow suit and drop the program at some point.

Alex
Old 09-07-2007, 09:16 AM   #10
dan
redefined

the slippery slope is getting slipperier

http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showpo...7&postcount=11
dan is offline   Reply With Quote