carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 04-03-2017, 08:57 AM   #71
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
There's a lot of this going around. Congrats again!
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:06 AM   #72
JST

Looks great! I'm interested to hear your take after you pick it up.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 11:23 AM   #73
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
congrats, tarten interior?
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 12:15 PM   #74
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
No. While we both love the plaid design, the SE that has the better sound system comes with leather. With the APR overpower (really the only potential downside of this transaction), car drives a bit like a crazed JCW Mini rather than a staid Golf. We shall see.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 01:24 PM   #75
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
You might want to drive a current M3 - it's a really nice GT, but unless you plan to track it, it'll feel like a techy luxo-cruiser around town.

I wouldn't kick one out of the garage, but I wouldn't pay the kind of money they're asking for it either.

Your call.
I did drive one in Sept 2015. Excerpts of my review below:

Unfortunately there was some traffic and the car they gave me was the "GM's executive demo" so sales guy riding shotgun seemed very apprehensive about me being aggressive. Car had a bout 40 miles.

Anyhow, I'm a BMW guy and have had 3ers before, so the car, as expected, fit me like a glove and I was quickly very comfortable. It's quiet at low rpms, which is nice for driving around town with the family, but at 3-4krpm in the hwy the engine/exhaust was surprisingly loud. Perhaps that can be adjusted so as to not annoy my wife?

Given the kind of driving that I do, the car felt surprisingly nimble and handled very well. The standard brakes felt excellent. It felt well-built and made you feel special. It is also a fast car. I immediately got back in the TT and realized that while it is certainly faster, it isn't actually faster by as much as I thought, but the TT just makes it feel more dramatic and fun. The TT is also more responsive (I used sport+ on everything). I did like the M4 throttle response (S+), which allowed me to do manual rev-matching as I am used to. But on 2nd gear at 3krpm, at 50-75% throttle the car didn't react or accelerate as quickly as I am used to. The sales guy kept making noises and giggles when I accelerated at rates that are totally commonplace on the TT and seemed nervous. Perhaps, there was more to be wrung out and perhaps I am being a jerk by comparing it to a TT, but in my case it's a relevant thing to do.

The exhaust note was better than expected, but still not something I would set as my ringtone.

Overall, very nice car, and it's hard to imagine getting a sedan other than an M3. I wish I had a chance to wind it out to redline.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 09:38 AM   #76
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
I've thought about it. A lot.

But:

-Slushie
-All new car
-10k more than the M3

Alfa opened a new dealership a mile from my job. I'll see what they have soon.
Um, I'd wait and see how the power train reliability is for the first 3 years before I'd even ponder one.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 09:53 AM   #77
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
Um, I'd wait and see how the power train reliability is for the first 3 years before I'd even ponder one.
Why? Buy one today and sell in two-three years (and still under warranty) because it will be boring by then.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote