carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 04-17-2016, 09:08 PM   #901
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
It really doesn't look 10 years old.
So, tell me how you keep a convertible that lives outside looking so nice.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:32 PM   #902
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
So, tell me how you keep a convertible that lives outside looking so nice.
Car cover.

California car duster.

Swearing.

Rage at not having a garage.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:37 PM   #903
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Car cover.

California car duster.

Swearing.

Rage at not having a garage.
Some of that sounds like work. The Jaguar is gray, so it actually looks okay without being washed. Except it sits partly under a tree. Where birds like to sit and shit. I may try to push the Miata a few feet further forward so the Jaguar can be not under the tree, but then I'm not sure the lawn guys will be able to get to the backyard.

I am so glad these are some of the biggest problems in my life.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 04-17-2016, 09:45 PM   #904
JST

Quote:
Some of that sounds like work. The Jaguar is gray, so it actually looks okay without being washed. Except it sits partly under a tree. Where birds like to sit and shit. I may try to push the Miata a few feet further forward so the Jaguar can be not under the tree, but then I'm not sure the lawn guys will be able to get to the backyard.

I am so glad these are some of the biggest problems in my life.
The thing about the cover is that it's not that much work as long as you cover the car shortly after you park it. If you cover it before it rains, you're fine. Tree schmutz can be dealt with using the car duster, which works surprisingly well. Bird shit is annoying, but I keep a small bottle of some sort of Meguiars product in the trunk along with a couple of towels, and that makes for an easy clean up when needed.

Or just leave it outside and don't worry about it.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:53 PM   #905
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
When I had the Merc, it lived outside - if I left it un-driven for five days or more, mice began to nest in the engine compartment. It was one of the reasons I sold it.
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:10 PM   #906
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
When I had the Merc, it lived outside - if I left it un-driven for five days or more, mice began to nest in the engine compartment. It was one of the reasons I sold it.
This is also a small concern of mine. I have seen small critters (chipmunks, mostly) scampering in the immediate vicinity of the Miata over the past few years. OTOH, I'm pretty sure one of them or a mouse died in the Miata the first winter I had it while it was parked in the garage. A couple critters have died in our garage over time, too. So, ultimately, I'm not sure that being garaged reduces the chances of critter infestation all that much.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 04-17-2016, 10:10 PM   #907
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
The thing about the cover is that it's not that much work as long as you cover the car shortly after you park it. If you cover it before it rains, you're fine. Tree schmutz can be dealt with using the car duster, which works surprisingly well. Bird shit is annoying, but I keep a small bottle of some sort of Meguiars product in the trunk along with a couple of towels, and that makes for an easy clean up when needed.

Or just leave it outside and don't worry about it.
I'm probably going with that last one for now. But it feels so wrong.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 04-18-2016, 12:35 AM   #908
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Quote:
This is also a small concern of mine. I have seen small critters (chipmunks, mostly) scampering in the immediate vicinity of the Miata over the past few years. OTOH, I'm pretty sure one of them or a mouse died in the Miata the first winter I had it while it was parked in the garage. A couple critters have died in our garage over time, too. So, ultimately, I'm not sure that being garaged reduces the chances of critter infestation all that much.
I think that's true, it's more about not driving it. I was away awhile back and hadn't driven the always-garaged ZHP for ten days and sure enough - mice got into the engine compartment.

Our cats are no help - too well-fed and happy to be of any good use - though, with great pride, they are good at tracking the mice and pointing them out.
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:49 AM   #909
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
It's much easier to trap mice in the garage before they get into the car than it is to trap them outside before they get into the car.

Last summer I didn't drive my truck for about three weeks and birds built a nest in between the bed and the cab
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:49 PM   #910
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
I think that's true, it's more about not driving it. I was away awhile back and hadn't driven the always-garaged ZHP for ten days and sure enough - mice got into the engine compartment.

Our cats are no help - too well-fed and happy to be of any good use - though, with great pride, they are good at tracking the mice and pointing them out.
Teach the cats whose boss and make hem earn their keep. They should enjoy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
It's much easier to trap mice in the garage before they get into the car than it is to trap them outside before they get into the car.
This is true. We probably should set some traps in the garage. At least we'd know where to look when we start smelling dead critters. Ugh.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?