carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 09-29-2009, 11:01 PM   #1
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Still waffling

Mainly thinking about the s4, but feeling cheap not convinced that I *need* it (but by that argument, nobody *needs* anything beyond a corolla, so there you go)...

Alternative is an a4 sport. No point in getting a loaded one as that gets close to s4 pricing. If I skip some major options and keep it bare, I can get a base car with heated seats & sport package (seats + suspension + 18" wheels/summer tires) in the low to mid 30's. This, right there, finishes off the old generation (b7) a4's for me. I'd be happy to get one, but 2007's, minimally equipped (so perhaps selling price of 31-32) are asking 25 and will likely go around 23. That's just not enough discount on a 3-yr old car in an outgoing model. I have yet to drive a new a4 sport as they are few and far between, but I've located some to check out this weekend. My and my gf's early death sentence on the a4 was based on a non-sport, and the seats/suspension/tires make a big difference, so I'm suspending judgment until a sport is driven.

Real alternative is to get nothing. My gf has moved in so now she fills my second parking sport with the Civic Si (instead of parking on the street), so we'll end up with two light cars, one spacious and fwd, the other rwd. The civic is not so great in the snow, and just turned 125k miles, so it's not the ideal long distance ski trip car, but it's kind of nice around town and on trips up to 50 miles or so.

Fourth possibility is to sell the cayman and just live with the s4. There are some good reasons for this, primarily the hassle and cost of having two cars, but I'm worried that the s4 will not be a substitute and I'll be back in another porsche at great expense.

If I do go for an s4, I'll either pick one off the floor or *revive* the order I put in. Minus the sport diff (which I might not need if I swear to keep a rwd car anyway), the launch sprint blue car is a very good fit. In fact, I've decided I prefer the silver/black to the all black interior, so literally my built order would be a launch car + sports diff. Seems almost not worth building and waiting when I plan to have a rwd around.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:09 PM   #2
equ
Alphanumeric

Short update. Did a quick evening drive to an audi dealer...

Did not drive an s4 but drove an a4 sport tiptronic demo (MT has to be searched or ordered in this area). So so... Dramatically better than the a4 non-sport (the suspension delta is larger than in bmws, it's almost xi -> i sport), the seats are much better as well. So I will not consider a non-sport a4, regardless of deal, colour, price. Grip and road feel through seat is much improved, the 18's, 30% firmer springs and summer tires do really help things. Not surprising that this car can slalom at 69-70mph (non-sport on all-seasons is around 65).

However, the steering still feels, ODD. Bummer as I was getting geared up to buy one. I can't remember now if the s4 feels as odd, but I somehow don't think so. Am I really going to cost myself $15K (plus tax and extras, perhaps $20K) for steering feel?

Also, the evening's drive removed the 4th possibility. The cayman roxxx and no s4 or m3 would quite scratch that itch that will surely arise were I to sell it. Its only replacement is some much more expensive porsche (even the 997S is borderline) and I'm not at point yet. Or if I were going into serious savings mode, I'd sell it. Since I'm muddling along, neither raking it in nor going bankrupt, it stays.

Selling the cayman was my brother's advice, he just doesn't understand two cars. He is not forceful or anything, I just shouldn't waffle near him. He is in the area for a semester of research. He is excused though as he lives in another country and he is not into cars and doesn't have much income. He also doesn't realize the drug-like effects of driving around in something awesome.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:02 PM   #3
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuka View Post
CRAP!! Are they that cheap already!!
Old 10-02-2009, 01:12 AM   #4
equ
Alphanumeric

Honestly, at that price point, I far prefer the new s4:
- new generation
- balanced and lighter
- highway range + real spare
I really have no v8 hankering, though I do appreciate that the rs4 and m3 have particularly nice units.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:05 PM   #5
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
I think you should just go buy the S4 and figure out a way to rationalize it. Perhaps by selling your girlfriend's car and letting her drive the S4 largely. Keep the Cayman or you'll spend a ton more trying to buy a substitute a few months down the road.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:33 PM   #6
equ
Alphanumeric

Thanks, I already decided that I'm not selling the cayman... On the s4, what's going to change things are the fortunes of my work. Things are in a funk now (even more so than a month ago) so I'm finding it hard to stay committed to such a big ticket expense. Tax and all, I'm looking at $56k with the s4. A sparser a4 comes to about 39-40k all in. With equal equipment, the difference goes down to about $10k. Of course, if work turns around by next year and I get the s4 wish again, I'll be kicking myself and costing myself more if I end up switching out again...
Old 10-02-2009, 02:32 PM   #7
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Thanks, I already decided that I'm not selling the cayman... On the s4, what's going to change things are the fortunes of my work. Things are in a funk now (even more so than a month ago) so I'm finding it hard to stay committed to such a big ticket expense. Tax and all, I'm looking at $56k with the s4. A sparser a4 comes to about 39-40k all in. With equal equipment, the difference goes down to about $10k. Of course, if work turns around by next year and I get the s4 wish again, I'll be kicking myself and costing myself more if I end up switching out again...
Looking at this from a distance, it's possible no expensive sedan will satisfy you long term the way the croc does

There was part of an idea posited above that makes sense - why not get rid of the Honda and you and your girlfriend get something that suits both your purposes - something "cute" for her and something functional for you - you may have to settle for the Porsche as your driver's car - not a bad "settlement", and think of the new car as a ski-trip + shared DD.

That would open the door to a raft of unexciting, but useable choices that aren't too expensive - everything from Forresters to Q5's to Passat wagons to whatever works.

Just an idea.

Ed
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:28 PM   #8
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
why not get rid of the Honda and you and your girlfriend get something that suits both your purposes - something "cute" for her and something functional for you - you may have to settle for the Just an idea.

Ed
*cough* Mini Clubman JCW *cough*
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:38 PM   #9
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
*cough* Mini Clubman JCW *cough*

I'd recommend a regular MCS or JCW Hardtop over the Clubman. But great idea!!!
Old 10-03-2009, 07:02 AM   #10
JST

I drove a Clubman JCW the othe day. Impressive car; notably faster than the standard car even with the extra weight. I'll post more about it later, but the problem with that car is that the example I drove (which didn't have either leather or nav) was 37K.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote