carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 12-13-2021, 02:32 PM   #281
nate
Oh, are they?

Carmudgeonly Ride: S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I think Musk has gone off the deep end in a lot of ways.
It's kind of odd that he has sold off all his properties and moved to Boca Chica.

Doesn't seem to be a bit. I pulled up the Cameron County, TX voter records and he really is registered to vote at a little house at 26 Weems St, Brownsville, TX.

https://goo.gl/maps/RE31FotsKDSpwrgG7

It's owned by SpaceX and valued at $61,909 by the appraisal district.
Old 12-13-2021, 02:38 PM   #282
dan
redefined

I mean I'm pretty sure he'll be spending plenty of time in Austin
Old 12-13-2021, 02:39 PM   #283
nate
Oh, are they?

Carmudgeonly Ride: S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan View Post
I mean I'm pretty sure he'll be spending plenty of time in Austin
He should build a hyper loop between Boca Chica and Austin.
Old 12-13-2021, 04:05 PM   #284
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
"Billionaire Elon Musk named Time’s Person of the Year for 2021"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...ine-elon-musk/
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 06:44 PM   #285
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Well, so was a certain talentless Austrian painter... in 1938.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 08:17 PM   #286
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Well, so was a certain talentless Austrian painter... in 1938.
D’oh! I met someone who met Hitler, once upon a time…two degrees of separation from Hitler…

Actually had dinner with the fellow who wrote “Six Degrees of Separation.” So, no degrees separation from him.
Old 12-14-2021, 07:00 AM   #287
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
D’oh! I met someone who met Hitler, once upon a time…two degrees of separation from Hitler…

Actually had dinner with the fellow who wrote “Six Degrees of Separation.” So, no degrees separation from him.
Around the time the movie came out, I was on a flight and was reading an issue of Newsweek (remember when airlines had magazines you could read?). There was a short article about a German newspaper that tested the theory by linking a falafel stand owner in Berlin to Marlon Brando. In the middle of the list was a high school classmate of mine (she's one of the few high school friends I'm still in touch with too...) and her then boyfriend and later husband... It was kind of a mind blown moment...
Old 12-14-2021, 08:19 AM   #288
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
Around the time the movie came out, I was on a flight and was reading an issue of Newsweek (remember when airlines had magazines you could read?). There was a short article about a German newspaper that tested the theory by linking a falafel stand owner in Berlin to Marlon Brando. In the middle of the list was a high school classmate of mine (she's one of the few high school friends I'm still in touch with too...) and her then boyfriend and later husband... It was kind of a mind blown moment...
It works!
Old 12-22-2021, 10:43 AM   #289
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
So, Tesla enables playing video games while their murder machines are in motion:
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/07/b...e-driving.html

NHSTA says WTF?!
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/08/b...mes-nhtsa.html

NHSTA also says
“It’s incredibly frustrating,” said Jennifer Homendy, the safety board’s chair. “We’re trying to warn the public and tell Tesla, ‘Hey, you need to put some safeguards in.’ But they haven’t.”

Tesla says, "Yeah, we know. So what?"
"Tesla appeared to be aware the new games can be played while the car is in motion. A warning shows up on the screen before the game starts that reads, “Solitaire is for everyone but playing while the car is in motion is only for passengers.” The system asks for confirmation that the person seeking to play the game is a passenger, but there is nothing preventing drivers from clicking the button and starting a game."

Back to the thread title. Fuck these guys.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ature-rcna9464

Quote:
U.S auto safety regulators said Wednesday they have opened a formal safety investigation into 580,000 Tesla vehicles sold since 2017 over the automaker’s decision to allow games to be played on the front center touchscreen.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 11:50 AM   #290
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Not to be a devil's advocate, but how different is the Tesla warning asking for a confirmation that you are not the driver any different from other warnings out there?

Examples:
- Nav system warnings that come up every time you start the car?
- Apple's new "Driving Focus" mode that asks you to tap "I'm not driving" when you pick up the phone when its likely to be in a car in motion?

These are all about liability and transferring the risk of responsibility. Tesla's warning is clear and comes up when launching a game while the car is in Drive. If you are driving and click the warning anyway, the driver is the one to blame.

This does feel like Tesla is taking advantage of a loophole. Where there are existing regulations, they comply. One example is video in a web browser -- when the car is parked, you can play videos from just about any website (news, YouTube, ESPN, etc) in the car's web browser. But the video is blocked if the car is in Drive (although the audio plays).

I'm guessing the regulations are silent on games. Tesla saw a use case where a passenger might want to play a game while the car is in motion and decided to enable it. Nothing in the regs prevents it, so they went for it.

I bet the regulation will change, but I'd actually be surprised if this is the cause of any accidents. Its much more likely that a driver will interact with their phone while driving than try to play a game while driving.