carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 12-12-2021, 12:08 PM   #271
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
They have all those cameras inside so seems like it would be pretty easy to determine if the driver is playing the game...
Except that you can opt out of having the interior camera on. Tesla requires the interior camera to be on if you are enabling Full Self Driving. For older versions of autopilot, its off by default and you have to opt-in to have it on (we opted out)... My wife has not requested the FSD pilot (I'd like to try it, but she doesn't care, even though from what I hear its better than the older version of autopilot that we have (which work well on freeways, but the radar cruise control is a bit of a pain when not on a freeway (and I've long used cruise control on suburban streets -- where stoplights/stop signs are typically 1+ miles apart).
Old 12-12-2021, 12:41 PM   #272
JST

I have literally no interest in FSD, or, at this point, in buying another Tesla.

Just one terrible decision after another. I can’t for the life of me understand why the stock is still where it is, though I’ve long since stopped assuming it will fall.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 08:48 AM   #273
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
In other news, my dad ordered a Model Y.

For him the charging network was a big deal, and the ability to use the fastest chargers in particular. None of the other offerings really even come close to competing in that regard.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 09:42 AM   #274
JST

Yeah the charging network is a huge plus. Hard to overstate the advantage there.

I’m hoping in the next couple of years that will change. If it doesn’t, I’ll buy another ICE car. Will not buy a Tesla.
Old 12-13-2021, 10:15 AM   #275
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I have literally no interest in...buying another Tesla.

Just one terrible decision after another.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Will not buy a Tesla.
I know this isn't actually the case, but I feel like I've had a long ongoing argument with someone on the internet...and won.

Please.

Allow me my moment.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 11:09 AM   #276
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
I'm not inside JST's head but I could see the argument for not wanting another one: even if
a) charging network is tops/unparalleled
b) car itself is good for the money, has good resale etc (though less unparalleled than the network)

I don't know how the largest shareholder or the name of the CEO of GM, bmw, mercedes... And that's fine. With Tesla it's very hard to separate the company from the giant douche. His tweet on Bernie is all you need to know. Disagree with Bernie, fine... To make a dead/old joke? Ugh, you, my friend, are not a deserving human.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 11:54 AM   #277
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I'm with you guys, I have no desire to own a Tesla so long as Musk is running the company. My dad's desire to reduce his carbon footprint overwhelmed the bad taste left by supporting Elon.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 12:13 PM   #278
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
My biggest objection is the company has no interest whatsoever in improving manufacturing/quality control.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 12:38 PM   #279
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
I'm not inside JST's head but I could see the argument for not wanting another one: even if
a) charging network is tops/unparalleled
b) car itself is good for the money, has good resale etc (though less unparalleled than the network)

I don't know how the largest shareholder or the name of the CEO of GM, bmw, mercedes... And that's fine. With Tesla it's very hard to separate the company from the giant douche. His tweet on Bernie is all you need to know. Disagree with Bernie, fine... To make a dead/old joke? Ugh, you, my friend, are not a deserving human.
I don't even know what Tweet you're talking about. Even if I did, I really doubt it would affect my views on him or the company at all.

For all that I despise about him and Tesla, I did give serious consideration to buying a 3 instead of the Camaro. As much as I did not want to, the practical argument for the car was very compelling. The biggest reason it didn't happen was my underlying fear that if I didn't buy the Camaro then, it was never going to happen. I had wanted it too long, come so close so many times only to push it to "the next car"...It was then or never.

With slightly different circumstances, it's highly probable that I'd have a Tesla solar/power bank system on/at my house. The main reason I don't is that I can't make it the money work between the still-very-newness of my existing roof, lackluster MD incentives, and the initial cost being pricey. Not having a significant power outage in recent years reduces the feeling to spend extra as well.

I am still pretty sure that my next car will be an EV. It might be a Tesla. I really hope it's not, though.

If Musk sells out, is forced out, or otherwise completely separates from the company, I wonder what will come of it. Will it be like the in-between Jobs years at Apple?

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 01:18 PM   #280
JST

I think Musk has gone off the deep end in a lot of ways. His Bernie tweet was irritating though it isn't what really drove me over the edge; I find his whole schtick just exhausting.

My objections are less about what he is doing personally and more about the decisions the company is making (which presumably are at his behest). The Cybertruck is stupid. The yoke on the Models X and Y is stupid. The way that they've changed the service model so that it's essentially impossible to even talk to a human and everything has to be done through the app is stupid.

I still think the Model 3 is the best value vehicle for sale right now, bar none. I don't think anyone else has approached Tesla on that one; the Mustang Mach E gets close, but only if you want a crossover body style. I'm not sad to own one. It's a nice car.

But yeah, I don't feel the need to reward the company any more.