carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 04-10-2018, 02:24 PM   #41
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
We all get our kicks in different ways... I agree with WDC that a boxster, cayman and likely a 911 is fun at any speed. It is a more satisfying, overall sporty/luxurious experience to partially rev a flat-6 rather than rev a 4-cyl to its literal limit. I hit the limiter a few times in five years with my 987.1S Cayman but only in first. That's a few times in 34k miles.

Porsches are also comfy enough on the highway for two or less. Horses for courses...

Those who don't like an e39 m5 are unlikely to love a b8 or b8.5 s4, no matter how capable that car is, it still has very oddly weighted steering and has an overall digital/synthetic feel. I think a lightly chipped GTI (and by extension the Golf R) is way more fun to drive.

But we are all different. I know nothing about autox classes. From videos that I watched, I would not have been able to get a 4-cyl Camaro, the v6 and the SS both sound so good.
I agree with a Boxster, but to your point, it has to be a 6-cyl. I dunno that I would want a turbo Boxster. The prices are also prohibitive.
FC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:27 PM   #42
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post

I do wish MD wasn't so stupid on leases. How it makes any sense to pay tax on the full purchase price on a lease I'll never know.
Maybe that's why when I've run the math on leases they've never made any sense to me.

I'm getting to the point where I don't think I really care about having a "fun" car to drive day to day. I love the Boxster but it costs me like $800 a year just in insurance. I'm not sure it makes sense to keep it around.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:44 PM   #43
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Maybe that's why when I've run the math on leases they've never made any sense to me.

I'm getting to the point where I don't think I really care about having a "fun" car to drive day to day. I love the Boxster but it costs me like $800 a year just in insurance. I'm not sure it makes sense to keep it around.
Agreed with your first statement. I could never make them make sense. We always came out ahead buying and selling later privately.

Second statement: Wait until nice weather...
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:59 PM   #44
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Agreed with your first statement. I could never make them make sense. We always came out ahead buying and selling later privately.

Second statement: Wait until nice weather...
Yeah, I know. I drove it on Friday... we went out for sushi. It was a little on the chilly side but sunny, and yeah it was a blast. But I keep looking at that car which is probably worth more than $30k and wondering if I get as much enjoyment out of it as $30k would buy me somewhere else.

And "nice weather" quickly turns into "90+ degrees" here at which point I have no desire to drive a convertible. The window of "nice convertible weather" in Maryland is really May through June and September through October with a few July and August days sprinkled in.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:24 PM   #45
JST

Don’t sell the Boxster without telling me!
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:38 PM   #46
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
/THREAD

Dealer just called and said he managed to grab on of the last few M3's in the US that could still be reconfigured and got me the car, built it and send the order to European delivery.

Now my wife is second guessing the car. Ugh. Will need to talk to her tonight.
FC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:39 PM   #47
dan
redefined

WOOOOWWW
Old 04-10-2018, 03:45 PM   #48
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:46 PM   #49
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
That is too funny, my wife & older daughter cannot understand why I even have the 911 ... they both ask me whenever they are in it 'do you really like this car' ... it cracks me up

Back on topic ... it sounds like a new A4 might fit the bill, it is a fun sports sedan that is available in a manual.
Funny on first count.

For the second... The b9 a4 reviews are all quite good, but there is one big catch. The manual version now has a weaker sauce on-demand quattro than the DSG/Auto version. Puts me off.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 04:00 PM   #50
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
For the second... The b9 a4 reviews are all quite good, but there is one big catch. The manual version now has a weaker sauce on-demand quattro than the DSG/Auto version. Puts me off.
that is weird, assumed all of the new a4 are weaker sauce on-demand(not including r/s4)
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote