carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 12-02-2004, 11:24 AM   #1
clyde
Chief title editor

forgive the mbr like qualities of this post

So, I'm thinking about the Pontiac Solstice today as something that might show promise a couple years from now as a Stock class autox car. It will probably be too heavy though as current estimates put the curb weight at over 2,800 lbs.

Come home to GM with that and a CTS-V as a daily driver?

Or maybe a next gen Miata instead of the Solstice.

Hmm...
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 11:29 AM   #2
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Re: forgive the mbr like qualities of this post

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde
So, I'm thinking about the Pontiac Solstice today as something that might show promise a couple years from now as a Stock class autox car. It will probably be too heavy though as current estimates put the curb weight at over 2,800 lbs.

Come home to GM with that and a CTS-V as a daily driver?

Or maybe a next gen Miata instead of the Solstice.

Hmm...
OK, first of all, I've not made a post like that in months!

Now... I think a Miata would be best over a solstice. Mazda knows how to build a fun, small car. You'd have to take GM's word that they do. Plus I rather have Mazda's reliability. More importantly, since it would be a dedicated (right?) Autox car, the aftermarket/mods part of it would be huge and the Miata clearly wins there.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 11:44 AM   #3
dan
redefined

Old 12-02-2004, 12:06 PM   #4
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

I like the Solstice in concept. Based on my experiences with GM products, I'll reserve ultimate judgement until the car is actually out. But yeah, it might be worth considering.
blee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 01:00 PM   #5
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonoboy
You know, I was going to mention the Elise, but then I thought of how silly it would be to do so given its price/availability.

:P
Old 12-02-2004, 01:05 PM   #6
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbr129
Plus I rather have Mazda's reliability.
Let's not discuss this right now, okay? :evil:
Old 12-02-2004, 01:15 PM   #7
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Quote:
Plus I rather have Mazda's reliability.
Let's not discuss this right now, okay? :evil:
Sorry, I meant "Miata." aranoid:
Old 12-02-2004, 01:15 PM   #8
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Quote:
Stock class autox car.
Now... I think a Miata would be best over a solstice. Mazda knows how to build a fun, small car. You'd have to take GM's word that they do. .... More importantly, since it would be a dedicated (right?) Autox car, the aftermarket/mods part of it would be huge and the Miata clearly wins there.
It depends on a whole lot of stuff that we can only make slightly better than totally uninformed guesses about right now.

For Stock class, there are only four mods worth thinking about...shocks, front anti roll bar, exhaust and wheels. The Miata will likely be better out of the gate WRT shocks, but the Solstice is slated to get Bilstein monotubes as OEM equipment which bodes very well for it considering the ease and cost with which many Bilsteins can be revalved. The Solstice also looks like it will be GM's or Pontiac's Focus WRT aftermarket and I suspect that there will be a whole slew of stuff available at launch or soon after. Into the future, through the autox prism, it will depend on how good the car is in terms of what becomes available that would actually be helpful.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:32 PM   #9
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Stock class autox car.
Now... I think a Miata would be best over a solstice. Mazda knows how to build a fun, small car. You'd have to take GM's word that they do. .... More importantly, since it would be a dedicated (right?) Autox car, the aftermarket/mods part of it would be huge and the Miata clearly wins there.
It depends on a whole lot of stuff that we can only make slightly better than totally uninformed guesses about right now.

For Stock class, there are only four mods worth thinking about...shocks, front anti roll bar, exhaust and wheels. The Miata will likely be better out of the gate WRT shocks, but the Solstice is slated to get Bilstein monotubes as OEM equipment which bodes very well for it considering the ease and cost with which many Bilsteins can be revalved. The Solstice also looks like it will be GM's or Pontiac's Focus WRT aftermarket and I suspect that there will be a whole slew of stuff available at launch or soon after. Into the future, through the autox prism, it will depend on how good the car is in terms of what becomes available that would actually be helpful.
Hmmm... That is true. I honestly forgot about the modding restrictions/penalties aspect. And a huge factor of course, is that you've not driven either.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:45 PM   #10
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
actually, that's the car i'm waiting on.

it's of interest that the ecotec engine that will be used has a GM approved after-OEM supercharger kit (same as used in saturn ion redline) if they don't sell an sc'd solstice anyway.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote