carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 11-09-2016, 10:19 PM   #61
Alan
Carmudgeon

Awesome, love the look with the stock wheels ... sounds like you are enjoying your new car a lot
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 04:43 AM   #62
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Great review... I'm really surprised by my own enjoyment of top-down driving. Sounds like
you got exactly the right set up for little more than a song.

The (relatively) short gearing fun applies to the e46m3 as well, neither my R1200R nor my Boxster like 3rd in tight Northeast urban environments, but the M pulls it off. It's handllng or balance is a pile of crap though in comparison to an NC or a boxster. Amazing rear grip, puzzling front.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:38 AM   #63
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Thanks. It's very early, but I am surprised at how much this Miata is scratching the itch. I'm not worried about it not being used or some high-priced item going bad and it's entirely different from the LR4 or eGolf (size, weight, speed, roof, transmission, sounds, handling) in a way that I really look forward to driving it when I get the chance or really feel like it. With the Turbo there was a bit of pressure to have to use it as much as possible to try to justify it.

I know it's wrong to speak of a 5-6yo car that cost 5 figures as a beater, but there is a liberating feel when you are not that worried about it. It reminds me of owning my JGC. It was cheap but never crappy enough to think of it as a beater, but it was great to have.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 01:52 PM   #64
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
Finally!

I"ve been recommended this for a while now!

Glad you finally got one and enjoy it. For a weekend toy they are hard to beat for all the reasons you listed. Have fun.

One thing, though, is don't drop the top when it gets too cold out. Though it looks like you have the canvas top which is more flexible in cold weather.

"Jeep is the only true American sports car*" - Enzo Ferrari

* Or something to that effect.
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 11:01 AM   #65
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by lupinsea View Post
Finally!

I"ve been recommended this for a while now!

Glad you finally got one and enjoy it. For a weekend toy they are hard to beat for all the reasons you listed. Have fun.

One thing, though, is don't drop the top when it gets too cold out. Though it looks like you have the canvas top which is more flexible in cold weather.
I'm freakin' loving this car. I love that I can wind it out to 7200rpm and I'm still in the 50's in 2nd gear. Drove it back from basketball on Monday night, and hot form the game, I dropped the top at 42F. I was amazed how comfortable I was - especially at less than 50mph (although I had to drive with my hoodie on to cover my wet hair). The middle vents that aim at the knees are great. They are so close to the shifter hand that even that stayed warm. Drove it top-down again just now at 50F. No problems.

The sound is not beautiful, but man is it fun. It sounds like it's revving higher than it is, so when yo get to 7k it sounds/feels great. Around town, as a toy car, this car is easily more fun than the Turbo. It has everything that made the MCS fun but RWD, convertible, and with better balance/shifter/sound/grip. So far I am loving the suspension just how the guy had it. I can't tell how much to attribute it to the suspension package or the aftermarket sway bar, but it is substantially flatter and more composed than the NC1. Easily the best $:fun car I've ever bought.

I noticed that the car has 225/45 R17 tires and they struck me as big for such a small car. Turns out OEM are 205/45R17, and from reading the forums, while others have done it (go to 225's), consensus seems to be that that is really pushing it given the wheel width and the impact of speedo/weight/performance. Most suggest not exceeding 215/45R17. Texted PO and he said they have 15-18k miles on them and were bought ~2.5 years ago. I might just put enough miles on the car to justify a new set not long from now. If I do, I'm going with PSS's. Maybe an excuse to AutoX/track it and wear them out.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 11:13 AM   #66
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
I'm freakin' loving this car. I love that I can wind it out to 7200rpm and I'm still in the 50's in 2nd gear. Drove it back from basketball on Monday night, and hot form the game, I dropped the top at 42F. I was amazed how comfortable I was - especially at less than 50mph (although I had to drive with my hoodie on to cover my wet hair). The middle vents that aim at the knees are great. They are so close to the shifter hand that even that stayed warm. Drove it top-down again just now at 50F. No problems.

The sound is not beautiful, but man is it fun. It sounds like it's revving higher than it is, so when yo get to 7k it sounds/feels great. Around town, as a toy car, this car is easily more fun than the Turbo. It has everything that made the MCS fun but RWD, convertible, and with better balance/shifter/sound/grip. So far I am loving the suspension just how the guy had it. I can't tell how much to attribute it to the suspension package or the aftermarket sway bar, but it is substantially flatter and more composed than the NC1. Easily the best $:fun car I've ever bought.

I noticed that the car has 225/45 R17 tires and they struck me as big for such a small car. Turns out OEM are 205/45R17, and from reading the forums, while others have done it (go to 225's), consensus seems to be that that is really pushing it given the wheel width and the impact of speedo/weight/performance. Most suggest not exceeding 215/45R17. Texted PO and he said they have 15-18k miles on them and were bought ~2.5 years ago. I might just put enough miles on the car to justify a new set not long from now. If I do, I'm going with PSS's. Maybe an excuse to AutoX/track it and wear them out.
This is the way "sports cars" used to be, the MG's, Triumphs and Fiats of my youth ... and that's just fine by me.
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 12:24 PM   #67
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Awesome
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 12:41 PM   #68
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Glad you're loving it!
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 09:42 PM   #69
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
205/45 and 225/45 have rather different diameters.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 09:46 PM   #70
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Either is a lot of tire for that little car.
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote