carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 03-10-2016, 03:10 PM   #11
Biggins
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 22 Tiguan, 11 328i
They didn't start putting the "big" motor in the CX-5 until late 2014 I think, and it's still pretty slow... the prices on the CX-5 we want vs. the X1 we want are closer than you'd think. We need to test drive both, but the X1 would fit in places slightly better and be slightly more fun.

None of these are what I'd pick, but they are the narrowed-down picks. The E91 touring is on the list too, but you lose the "up high" element.
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 03:29 PM   #12
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I'd be willing to bet the CX-5 drives better. And it'll certainly be less expensive to run long-term, if you plan on keeping this a while.

John
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 03:32 PM   #13
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I'd be willing to bet the CX-5 drives better. And it'll certainly be less expensive to run long-term, if you plan on keeping this a while.

John
And his wife was getting frustrated with mechanical issues on the cr-v so not sure why you would buy a used BMW. But my comment seemed to be ignored so x1 it is.

Edit: but the x1 did drive pretty good, jacked up wagon more then a suv.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 03:48 PM   #14
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

IIRC, the CX-5 had better steering and overall handling than the Escape; I voted for the Ford because it had a better drivetrain. Can't blame your wife for steering clear if she knows of one that incinerated itself. FWIW, the initial quality issues seem to be resolved and the one we bought in June '14 has been excellent. Except for Sync.
blee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 03:51 PM   #15
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I'd be willing to bet the CX-5 drives better.
I doubt it. Manufacturers may be getting sedans closer to BMW, but from my experience, they aren't even close on the "SAV's".
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 03:52 PM   #16
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee View Post
IIRC, the CX-5 had better steering and overall handling than the Escape; I voted for the Ford because it had a better drivetrain. Can't blame your wife for steering clear if she knows of one that incinerated itself. FWIW, the initial quality issues seem to be resolved and the one we bought in June '14 has been excellent. Except for Sync.
you mean more powerful drivetrain? I think the mazda skyactiv is pretty good. Yeah the 2.0l would probably be a dog with awd and a slushy. 2.5l should be ok for his wife.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 04:07 PM   #17
Biggins
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 22 Tiguan, 11 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee View Post
I don't know the story on the her friend's Escape. It might have even been an older model one. We have a few newer Escapes in our work fleet, and I always pick it over the C-Max. It's fine even in stripper form.

I'd have more peace of mind if the X1 had one of the older non-turbo motors, but we'll see what comes of the test drives. I suspect almost anything will be an improvement on a 17 year old CRV.
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 06:34 PM   #18
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
FWIW, You can get an x3 with the non-turbo six.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 07:45 PM   #19
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggins View Post
As the old CR-V putters along with random crap going bad on a more regular basis, it's starting to seem like it will need to be retired very soon. The interior door handle has broken twice, the window motors are bad, the front suspension has long been done, the radio works when it wants, and I've replaced the front rotors twice in less than two years. Since it's really the wife's car, she is getting less patient and I hate driving it.

It's looking more and more like the first generation BMW X1 will be our next car/SUV/CUV/whatever. It is still RWD-based or actually RWD... Has anyone driven or have experience with these vehicles?

From all the reviews I've read, it seems like it will get her the heated seats, working radio, and "sitting up high" that she wants without being something that I totally hate to drive. I think we'd lean toward the base RWD version to save money, but it looks like the RWD has electric steering whereas the 4-cylinder AWD version still has the "classic BMW" steering. Though, it also looks nearly impossible to find one without the stupid panorama sunroof. I might have a tough time accepting that the X1 is faster (by a good margin) than my FR-S.

The Mazda CX-5 is a very close second consideration since it equally fits the bill, but the newest X1 is out of our price range (and FWD-based).
I had one as a loaner in december of 2014 and wrote about it:

http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showpo...51&postcount=1

Last edited by Sharp11; 03-10-2016 at 07:59 PM.
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:11 PM   #20
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
I took a short Komen drive in one. It's like a cheap-ish feeling jacked up e90. If with manual, good engine & suspension, would definitely be interesting... For my purposes, the height does close to nothing.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote