carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Technical Superiority

Old 03-04-2013, 10:23 PM   #1
SCA
Jaded

E90 Microfilter

The factory filter was changed two years ago and I paid the Center I use to perform the task at the time. I was already there for an annual oil/filter change and coolant flush. The mircofilter installed at the time was a total waste of money as I learned this evening. This go around I performed the task myself. The mircrofilter that was installed two years ago was the filter for E90s without A/C (64319142114). Why NA Centers even carry this filter is well beyond me, especially given all NA BMWs are equipped with A/C? Nevertheless, the new filter I installed this evening is the correct filter, carbon (64319142115). Reset the CBS, done... 10 minute job minus the half hour BS labor charge per BMW NA.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2013-03-04 at 5.16.41 PM.png
Views:	330
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	8399  

Last edited by SCA; 03-05-2013 at 01:39 PM.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:12 AM   #2
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I don't read that as being for cars without A/C. It reads as being for cars without automatic climate control. I agree that it seems unlikely any US cars won't have that.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:44 PM   #3
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I don't read that as being for cars without A/C. It reads as being for cars without automatic climate control. I agree that it seems unlikely any US cars won't have that.

Yes, I concur.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:01 AM   #4
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 BMW 325xiT; looking for a new fun car
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
There are a lot of wacky things with BMW climate control. For example, there are different (non-interchangable) part numbers for the E46 automatic climate control panel depending on whether the car runs on gasoline or diesel.

I have on my desk a 64-11-6-919-785 with a bright orange sticker that says:

Nur für Benziner
No Diesel

And don't get me started on why the stupid thing needs dealer coding instead of being selectable when installed, or just defaulting to °C or °F - it displays "NC" (Not Coded) and is completely disabled (none of the controls work at all) until coded. And, if they're going to make coding required anyway, why not have a single part number for gas and diesel (the only difference is that the diesel version omits the "noxious exhaust fumes" sensor for automatically closing the dampers)?
Terri Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote