carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 09-04-2019, 01:17 PM   #51
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Rob, have you driven an AWD Mazda CX5 with the bigger engine? I don't think I could have it as my only vehicle, but maybe it would do along with the 2?
Forgot about that- yes, it's on my list to drive. Sat in one at the NY auto show and was impressed by the interior. Nice looking too. Gets universally praised for being fun to drive. If you could swing that plus the 2, that might be ideal.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 02:15 PM   #52
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Forgot about that- yes, it's on my list to drive. Sat in one at the NY auto show and was impressed by the interior. Nice looking too. Gets universally praised for being fun to drive. If you could swing that plus the 2, that might be ideal.
Let me know when you do drive it. I probably won't get to it for awhile. And it's probably best I to know what the parking situation will be in my next house before I make any decisions.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 10:29 AM   #53
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Make sure you test drive one for an extended period if you go that route. My mom has an X1 and I borrowed it for a road trip once. There was something about the ride quality that made me nauseous (even when I was driving). Never experienced that in another car. When you're just driving around town it seems like enough car though.
Does your mom's have Msport? Apparently that lowers the ride height a scooch, coupled with the adaptive dampers, that should mitigate any nauseating wallowing.

I've scrutinized the specs, and the interior space is not that much greater on the X3 versus the X1. The only real dimensional advantage is front shoulder room, which, given my size, is not a big deal.

So, in my mind, spending $20k more for the X3 gets you the following: A real RWD platform underpinning the AWD system; the availability of the better/more powerful 6 cylinder engine; and probably a more luxurious cabin.

BTW, the X1 compares favorably in price to the loaded Mazda CX5.

If I can swing it, the X1 looks like a good choice IF I'm keeping my 2.

Gotta drive them all at some point.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:54 AM   #54
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Quote:
Does your mom's have Msport? Apparently that lowers the ride height a scooch, coupled with the adaptive dampers, that should mitigate any nauseating wallowing.

I've scrutinized the specs, and the interior space is not that much greater on the X3 versus the X1. The only real dimensional advantage is front shoulder room, which, given my size, is not a big deal.

So, in my mind, spending $20k more for the X3 gets you the following: A real RWD platform underpinning the AWD system; the availability of the better/more powerful 6 cylinder engine; and probably a more luxurious cabin.

BTW, the X1 compares favorably in price to the loaded Mazda CX5.

If I can swing it, the X1 looks like a good choice IF I'm keeping my 2.

Gotta drive them all at some point.

If you want to keep the 2, you might consider leasing a former loaner X1 or X3 30i. They lease pretty well if you find a cooperating dealer, check out leasehackr forums for idea on pricing. Could be a relatively-cheap 2nd car option.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:12 PM   #55
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
If you want to keep the 2, you might consider leasing a former loaner X1 or X3 30i. They lease pretty well if you find a cooperating dealer, check out leasehackr forums for idea on pricing. Could be a relatively-cheap 2nd car option.
Very interesting. Thank you. Looks like United BMW is active on the site. They tend to have the best optioned pre-owned cars around here. Still, I think finding a car with the adaptive suspension will be a needle in a haystack. Msport is not as difficult to find.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:17 PM   #56
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Quote:
Very interesting. Thank you. Looks like United BMW is active on the site. They tend to have the best optioned pre-owned cars around here. Still, I think finding a car with the adaptive suspension will be a needle in a haystack. Msport is not as difficult to find.

Yea, the downside to that option is you can’t be too picky on options or colors.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:47 PM   #57
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
Yea, the downside to that option is you can’t be too picky on options or colors.
Right.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:32 PM   #58
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
If you can find a cheap lease on an ex-loaner x3 30i I dont think you'd need adaptive suspension. Regular X3 rides well and handles decently (had one as a loaner once). Here's an example of someone who scored a $52k X3 for $350 a month! Replicating something like this isn't necessarily going to be easy but it shows what's possible.
https://forum.leasehackr.com/t/2019-...g-7-msd/134663
Old 09-09-2019, 02:26 PM   #59
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
If you can find a cheap lease on an ex-loaner x3 30i I dont think you'd need adaptive suspension. Regular X3 rides well and handles decently (had one as a loaner once). Here's an example of someone who scored a $52k X3 for $350 a month! Replicating something like this isn't necessarily going to be easy but it shows what's possible.
https://forum.leasehackr.com/t/2019-...g-7-msd/134663
That is an amazing price! I'm just so not a lease person. But I may have to get over that. I'm also not a house renting person, but I may go that route as well. Travel light!
Old 09-09-2019, 02:52 PM   #60
robg
Carmudgeon

BMW 330 xdrive loaner review (G20)

Quote:
That is an amazing price! I'm just so not a lease person. But I may have to get over that. I'm also not a house renting person, but I may go that route as well. Travel light!

Yeah I wasn’t a lease person either (owned my e46 for 10 years) until I discovered the strange world of bmw leasing. When you score a great lease deal it becomes hard to justify buying a car and keeping it for a long time (unless it’s something you truly love and want to keep forever)