carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 02-27-2024, 09:35 PM   #81
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
It's been 5 years or so, but I think either the JGC diesel with the ZF 8-speed or the Macan 7-speed PDK or both did this.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 03:08 PM   #82
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
I've driven the M5 a bit more now.

I've settled on using my M1 settings. "Efficient" is just too boring and unexciting. Going to "Sport" prevents the car from (literally) driving around in 8th gear at 35mph. It also makes the car downshift to a properly low enough gear when asked. The exhaust sounds better too. I also use the medium shift speed, which is more responsive than the default.

My overall feelings have not changed. I continue to think the suspension is excellent in comfort mode. The car has surprisingly good reflexes. The brakes are amazing but a bit touchy at low speeds.

But the car isn't that exciting. I've not done launches nor rolling accelerations to redline in 2nd gear, but in all other circumstances, such as accelerating hard from 50mph, the car will get to 100mph incredibly quickly but with too little drama. It's too comfortable and isolated and dangerously fast. By the numbers, it is easily faster than the 997TT, but it doesn't feel it. Like the 997TT it asks for little skill to do amazing things thanks to AWD. It is also unnecessarily fast. The F80 was MUCH more entertaining. For its smoothness and fast shifts, I can't love that transmission anywhere near as much as a MT.

But it is an AWESOME place to be in. I'm starting to like the sport exhaust and I am quite sure now that active sound (or whatever it is called) is not active. It's very quiet inside and all the noise is real noise form the outside. I wish I could enable/disable it with a button to try it.

Last edited by FC; 03-02-2024 at 05:41 PM.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 04:57 PM   #83
JST

Yeah it’s really hard for me to avoid the conclusion that the F80 is the sweet spot. I’ve mulled the idea of getting a G80 to replace it, maybe with individual paint if that’s still a thing you can do. But driving TDs makes me pretty confident that it won’t drive better than the F80, it’ll just be newer. And heavier.

Driving the X5 makes me appreciate the benefits of a big comfortable car, but for my daily I wouldn’t want to skew too much further in that direction than the F80, so I don’t think the M5 is my jam, as impressive as the performance is.
JST is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 05:48 PM   #84
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Yeah it’s really hard for me to avoid the conclusion that the F80 is the sweet spot. I’ve mulled the idea of getting a G80 to replace it, maybe with individual paint if that’s still a thing you can do. But driving TDs makes me pretty confident that it won’t drive better than the F80, it’ll just be newer. And heavier.

Driving the X5 makes me appreciate the benefits of a big comfortable car, but for my daily I wouldn’t want to skew too much further in that direction than the F80, so I don’t think the M5 is my jam, as impressive as the performance is.
I can definitely see that. If I still had my F80, I would not have sold it despite not being a great fit. I don't regret selling it at the time, but had I waited a few months later I would not have felt the need to sell it. Once gone, however, and given the nature of my commute, the size of my kids, how my wife felt about the F80 (too stiff and loud), and for the sake of trying something new, I am ok with the M5. But it only works because I have the 718.
Old 03-02-2024, 05:53 PM   #85
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
FC, can't you force it in rwd only mode?
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 06:01 PM   #86
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
FC, can't you force it in rwd only mode?
I can. And there is also MDM mode, with limited DSC intervention. But I have no issues with the AWD. Car is just a bit isolated.
Old 03-03-2024, 04:33 PM   #87
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
I can definitely see that. If I still had my F80, I would not have sold it despite not being a great fit. I don't regret selling it at the time, but had I waited a few months later I would not have felt the need to sell it. Once gone, however, and given the nature of my commute, the size of my kids, how my wife felt about the F80 (too stiff and loud), and for the sake of trying something new, I am ok with the M5. But it only works because I have the 718.
Are you driving the boxster ? I forget here who puts their cars in winter storage which is why I am asking.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 04:37 PM   #88
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Are you driving the boxster ? I forget here who puts their cars in winter storage which is why I am asking.
I took it out once a couple of weeks ago when we had nice weather. Today is beautiful too but I am too busy. Looks like weather is turning the corner, so I should start driving it here and there in a couple of weeks. We got a bunch of rain last night and are expected to get mote this week with the temps never dipping below freezing next week.

Assuming that holds, it may be time to pull the winter tires off all cars in a week.

As for storage, the 718 and mini fit back-to-back in the detached garage and are both accessible.
Old 03-04-2024, 03:54 PM   #89
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
I took it out once a couple of weeks ago when we had nice weather. Today is beautiful too but I am too busy. Looks like weather is turning the corner, so I should start driving it here and there in a couple of weeks. We got a bunch of rain last night and are expected to get mote this week with the temps never dipping below freezing next week.

Assuming that holds, it may be time to pull the winter tires off all cars in a week.

As for storage, the 718 and mini fit back-to-back in the detached garage and are both accessible.
So when storing is there anything you do special to store it or are you just leaving it on a Battery tender ?
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 04:09 PM   #90
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
So when storing is there anything you do special to store it or are you just leaving it on a Battery tender ?
Battery tender & indoor cover.