carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 03-17-2004, 01:10 PM   #21
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

Well, you have a point. I'd have to say that I don't really love the looks of the WRX; it's just that I'd easily buy one, if I could, because it is not ugly in my eyes and is just such a fantastic car otherwise.

I stand by my 9-2X recommendation. And actually, if you're keeping the wagon, it would be pretty cute to have the two of them parked next to each other.
blee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 01:10 PM   #22
nate
Oh, are they?

Carmudgeonly Ride: S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate
Just pony up the dough and get an E39 M5.
nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 01:44 PM   #23
JST

Re: R32 v. WRX wagon

I drove both. I bought the WRX. But that was a practical decision, not an emotional one. Had the R32 been the same price as the WRX, I would have bought the R32.

The bottom line is that the R32 has appeal all out of line with its stats. I can say, rationally, that the R32 doesn't make any sense because it's heavy, and doesn't have enough power, and has Haldex AWD that isn't really that useful, and so forth. I can say that the 337 or 25th AE GTIs are much better expressions of the "ultimate" GTI than is the R32. And I'd be right. But I really, really liked the R32, despite all of these objections.

I like the baseball mitt grip from the seats, and the chunky steering wheel, and the nicely executed interior, and the roary/rasp from the exhaust (it sounds like it has a cutout above a certain RPM), and the typical vague-but-right-feeling VW shifter. It handles decently, and puts the power down well. With good low end and a loud exhaust, it feels faster than it is, which for a street car isn't a bad thing.

In the end, for me it came down to not being worth the coin, especially since the E46 M3 does everything the R32 does and does it better. But it's worth a look.

In essence, it's an Audi TT 3.2 with a usable body shell for several thousand less. I was thinking, in fact, that if I got it, I would have to get this vanity plate: BUDGETT
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 02:03 PM   #24
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
TD, I just don't get you man.

I am made fun of (rightfully so :roll: ) for picking cars years ahead of when I will actually buy them. But at least they are cars that serve a different purpose than the one I have now.

You keep bringing up cars that will replace your car. And that is fine, except for one thing...

Why do you want to replace your car? Is there something wrong with it? Something you don't like? I'd understand if you liked your car but needed to consolidate or simply were forced to swap a roadster for a sedan.

Maybe I just don't fully grasp WHY you are looking at new cars.

If I (we) understood that a bit better, perhaps you could get more specific comments re: that.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 02:07 PM   #25
Masskrug
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbr129

I am made fun of (rightfully so :roll: ) for picking cars years ahead of when I will actually buy them. But at least they are cars that serve a different purpose than the one I have now.

You keep bringing up cars that will replace your car. And that is fine, except for one thing...

Why do you want to replace your car? Is there something wrong with it? Something you don't like? I'd understand if you liked your car but needed to consolidate or simply were forced to swap a roadster for a sedan.

If I (we) understood that a bit better, perhaps you could get more specific comments re: that.

Maybe it's the male infidelity gene.
Masskrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 02:13 PM   #26
JST

Quote:

TD has already owned his M3 substantially longer than I would consider keeping a car.
Old 03-17-2004, 02:29 PM   #27
JST

Good reading on the subject, from a somewhat biased source:

http://vortex3.rely.net/artman/publi...0.shtml?page=1
Old 03-17-2004, 02:37 PM   #28
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST
Quote:

TD has already owned his M3 substantially longer than I would consider keeping a car.
So the answer then is that he IS bored with his car. OK, that is fine by me. As long as he doesn't sugar-coat it.

It will be nice a few years down the road when I wont sweat a few thousand dollars of preciation hit if I decide to change my car because I'm bored of it.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 02:55 PM   #29
JST

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST
Quote:

So the answer then is that he IS bored with his car. OK, that is fine by me. As long as he doesn't sugar-coat it.

It will be nice a few years down the road when I wont sweat a few thousand dollars of preciation hit if I decide to change my car because I'm bored of it.
I don't presume to speak for TD. His motivation may be boredom, or something else entirely.

I'm just saying that it's not unheard of for people to start looking around having owned a car for 2 1/2 years.
Old 03-17-2004, 03:03 PM   #30
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST
Quote:

I don't presume to speak for TD. His motivation may be boredom, or something else entirely.

I'm just saying that it's not unheard of for people to start looking around having owned a car for 2 1/2 years.
Or maybe less than ten months.

...or 150 miles.

blee is offline   Reply With Quote