carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 09-30-2016, 02:03 PM   #11
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Then again, I vaguely remember someone posting that you can lease an eGolf now for like $50/month if you factor in the federal tax credit? If that's true, and there are similar deals when this lease is up you're better of just leasing a new one I think. I think an EV only i3 can be leased for like $150 so it wouldn't surprise me.
The federal tax credit goes to the purchaser of the car, so for leases, it's the bank or leasing company. They usually pass that on in the terms of the lease, but when they do, it's already been incorporated into the lease terms and offers. It's not in additional discount.

So, you don't "factor in" the credit...the leasing company already did that to make the offer you see.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 05:01 PM   #12
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Simply no. Why lock in an EV when that technology has a good chance of going through major changes and making yours a brick in value?
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:52 PM   #13
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Simply no. Why lock in an EV when that technology has a good chance of going through major changes and making yours a brick in value?
Because if the improved technology is meaningless to me and the car is dirt-cheap enough, then it's a great car for the abusive super short drives we make and an additional (winter) beater that can be left all day at the station without giving a damn. The key is that is has to be super cheap.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:24 PM   #14
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Don't buy the new one if they don't re-enable swipe to unlock. Fuck them.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 01:43 AM   #15
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Because if the improved technology is meaningless to me and the car is dirt-cheap enough, then it's a great car for the abusive super short drives we make and an additional (winter) beater that can be left all day at the station without giving a damn. The key is that is has to be super cheap.
It seems like you've already made up your mind and you'd like this thread to somehow justify it?
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 07:28 AM   #16
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
It seems like you've already made up your mind and you'd like this thread to somehow justify it?
Not necessarily. Like I said, there are risks associated with repair (outside of batteries) that could make it a bad financial move. There is the cost of insurance/tax, carrying an additional car logistically, etc. But more importantly, I wanted to know if people had other thoughts I had not considered.

It's much too early to get serious about it. I'm just thinking.
Old 10-01-2016, 09:52 AM   #17
JST

I think it will depend almost entirely on what kind of battery degradation you're seeing. What kind of range do you get now?
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 12:09 PM   #18
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Is VW using a different battery tech than Honda/Toyota/et. al.? Don't we have a good idea of battery resilience in electric cars?
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 01:22 PM   #19
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
Is VW using a different battery tech than Honda/Toyota/et. al.? Don't we have a good idea of battery resilience in electric cars?
Clueless. I've been far too busy and don't have to worry about range, so I've had little motivation to research this at all, really.

I have read of a Leaf owner needing his batteries replaced at ~90k miles.
Old 10-01-2016, 01:30 PM   #20
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I think it will depend almost entirely on what kind of battery degradation you're seeing. What kind of range do you get now?
Cold winter days as low as 80 miles. Hot summer days as low as 90. Otherwise, typically an indicated 100-110 miles.

It should be noted that speeds above ~70mph start to seriously affect range.

Realistically, the car starts bitching at 18 miles and reduces power. The manual also discourages you to go below 20 miles IIRC. We only a couple of times got into the teens due to forgetting to charge it or risking because we knew it was an in-town errand.

Once, in nice weather, my wife expressed concern about taking it because she needed to drive into the city, then to a northern suburb to see a client and then back home. Google claimed a 62-65 mile trip. She came back home with 45+ miles remaining.