carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 10-09-2016, 02:35 PM   #1
Alan
Carmudgeon

Bye bye Mercedes

Our Mercedes GL450 lease is up in a week and a half so we test drove a bunch of new SUV's ... I'll post brief impressions because we test drove quite a few and I don't want to bore everyone with big details.

A little background ... we have had 3 GL450s in a row and I figured we would just go and get the new one but it didn't quite work out that way.

Mercedes GLS450 - pretty much the same car we have except for minor updates though one change I didn't like was it's now a 6 cylinder engine instead of our 8 cylinder. Overall feel is similar though it seemed to be missing that solid luxury feel our truck has ... maybe it's due to not having an 8 cylinder engine ... damn I missed that sound and feel ... both my wife and I got out after the test drive and looked at each other and knew this was not going to be our next car plus for some reason maybe it was the test drive car but there was some weird vibration coming through the floor on the passengers side when accelerating.

Mercedes GLE350 (used to be called ML350) drove very similar to the GLS and was missing the third row, this car must have an older 6 cylinder engine because it felt very coarse in comparison. Again got out of this car and said ... no thanks

Mercedes GLC300 second time I've test driven this car, once with my daughter and once now with my wife ... this little truck is a winner, the steering felt good, the 4 cylinder engine was just amazingly quick and surprising as well .. we loved this little SUV but that was the other problem ... it's too small ... argh too bad we both loved it

Jaguar SUV - drove very sporty, beautiful looking, overall a nice tight package but again too small

Range Rover sport - we both loved the drive of this car, it reeks luxury ... it just feels substantial and super comfy ... funny thing is the info system (nav,radio etc) is the same exact system as the jaguar. I think they had the same engine as well though I might be wrong. Great vehicle but we decided after this that we want a 3rd row and the 3rd row in this car is a serious joke. Btw the lease is not too good either

Audi Q7 - this car is a winner ... it feels solid like our current car, the interior is beautiful plus the dashboard is just insanely futuristic with the whole digital thing, the engine is powerful, this car is a winner except the price ... it's $15k less then our MB yet the lease price was only $75 less a month ... unfortunately like our sales girl explained ... it's been 10 years since they redesigned this car, demand is big and they don't want to discount it. I don't mind paying a little premium but I just can't feel gouged and the prices on this one made me feel that way

Acura MDX - why why why did I take my wife to the Acura dealer and why did I test drive this truck ... the truck actually handles the curves (must be the sh-awd thing) and the engine has really nice power, it is smaller and more compact yet offers some decent interior room, I like it, yes I like it plus the third row is a decent size and it has everything you need. But and here is the big BUT everyone of our friends in our group has one ... I can't have the same car as everyone else ... Damn at least they did a slight update so it doesn't quite look like every other MDX and then the price ... $400 less a month then our current car and my wife had a big smile on her face after the test drive ... after the test drive she said we have a new car and as they say the rest is history.

Argh .. good bye beautiful Mercedes ... hello Acura ... did I just say that
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 02:59 PM   #2
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
The Acura is a very rational purchase. That is why I had two. I hated them both deeply.

good luck
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 03:19 PM   #3
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
The Acura is a very rational purchase. That is why I had two. I hated them both deeply.

good luck
Thanks for the positive reinforcement

I've had 2 Acuras the NSX and the cl coupe which I thought were both great ... had 2 Hondas as well an accord coupe which I bought for my wife over 20 years ago which we loved and the S2000 which goes down in history as the car I hated the most.

Which acuras did you have ?
Old 10-09-2016, 05:01 PM   #4
kognito
older fart than ZBB

AF,

The Jag SUV. If it was just you and your wife, still too small?

Still have a little over a year on the Edge Limited lease, but starting to think about what is next. I haven't seen the new Jag in person yet. but I like what I see online
Old 10-09-2016, 05:13 PM   #5
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
Thanks for the positive reinforcement

I've had 2 Acuras the NSX and the cl coupe which I thought were both great ... had 2 Hondas as well an accord coupe which I bought for my wife over 20 years ago which we loved and the S2000 which goes down in history as the car I hated the most.

Which acuras did you have ?
An 04 and an 09 MDX. Bought them for all the same reasons you list.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 05:35 PM   #6
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
I've seen the Jag a couple times now. Really nice looking. My wife is starting to get itch, and its on the list to test...
Old 10-09-2016, 07:01 PM   #7
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
An 04 and an 09 MDX. Bought them for all the same reasons you list.
Josh ... so you hated the first one and bought a second one !?

Not sure we are buying for the same reasons ... my wife is done with having the same car 3 times in a row ... she is not a car person and has a much more open mind then I when it comes to buying cars ... She tried them all out and really likes this Acura ...

Me .. I have 3 cars of my own and am obviously nuts ... an Acura sedan would not be a good replacement for the 5 series though the new NSX does look like a good replacement for my other two

If she hates the MDX then I pay off the lease and give it back ... heck the total of the whole lease is less then 20 months of the mb and for that price we will give it a try.

The only other option is I surprise her and buy the Audi which basically means I need to take $70k out of the bank for a car that will depreciate like a rock ... if she mentioned the Audi again since the test drive I would absolutely get it but she hasn't and when I ask her about it she wasn't into it.
Old 10-09-2016, 07:09 PM   #8
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
AF,

The Jag SUV. If it was just you and your wife, still too small?

Still have a little over a year on the Edge Limited lease, but starting to think about what is next. I haven't seen the new Jag in person yet. but I like what I see online
The jag is a real beauty ... the price was ok but not cheap I think they were at $800 a month but the car just came out so I think it will go down into the $700 range for a 3 yr lease.

As far as too small for us, I've got 3 kids, my oldest is driving the next one takes her road test in a week so I will get her a car later on this month and my third is 12 so we feel we still need a third row ... this will probably be our last car with third row.

We pretty much only need a third row for a year and could possibly go without it but we don't want to take the chance ... unfortunately my nieces are young and we hang with them a lot so maybe the 1 yr prediction is off though for sure we are done with 3 rows after this ... I think

Edit: I should add this is almost bat/bar mitzvah age and even at only 12 she has been invited to at least 15 of them already and they are just starting to hit the age so there is no doubt we need the 3rd row alone just for the reason of car pooling.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:09 PM   #9
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
You do know that you can buy the current Merc instead of turning it in right?

The q7 sounds like a winner, I've been checking those out myself. Hopefully they do depreciate like a rock so I can justify buying one used.

Last edited by bren; 10-10-2016 at 07:15 AM.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 09:54 PM   #10
kognito
older fart than ZBB

There is only one 4 door SUV that doesn't depreciate. Jeep Wrangler Unlimited