carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 02-24-2006, 01:27 PM   #1
ed328ci
Realist

Carmudgeonly Ride: E90 325i
Manual transmission required for driving enjoyment?

First, I mean no offense to anyone who have a vehicle with automatic transmission.

Anyways for almost 4 weeks now, my 328Ci has been in the shop for subframe repairs. During that time, I have been begging rides from people, and have borrowed my parent's 325i, my wife's Outback, and now, my sales adviser's (who sold me my new E90) 330Ci. All of those cars have auto transmissions. I found that I have enjoyed driving less and less, even if I "shift" manually with the tiptronic. I just can't feel involved with driving. During that time, I have even test driven a DSG equipped A3 3.2, and didn't enjoy that vehicle either. I have a feeling that I would enjoy a Civic Si with good 6 speed manual, more than a M6 with SMG. Until now, I didn't think driving a manual transmission mattered that much to me. Crazy, eh? Anyone else feel the same way?

Can't wait to A) get my car back B) for its replacement to arrive.

Ed

Common sense, isn't
ed328ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 01:30 PM   #2
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Yep. Automatics are no fun.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 01:33 PM   #3
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Yes, rowing your own is a prerequisite to true driving enjoyment IMO.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:34 PM   #4
ff

I couldn't agree more. Automatics are boring as hell, removing you from the driving experience, and take almost all the fun out of being behind the wheel.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 02:12 PM   #5
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed328ci
First, I mean no offense to anyone who have a vehicle with automatic transmission.

Anyways for almost 4 weeks now, my 328Ci has been in the shop for subframe repairs. During that time, I have been begging rides from people, and have borrowed my parent's 325i, my wife's Outback, and now, my sales adviser's (who sold me my new E90) 330Ci. All of those cars have auto transmissions. I found that I have enjoyed driving less and less, even if I "shift" manually with the tiptronic. I just can't feel involved with driving. During that time, I have even test driven a DSG equipped A3 3.2, and didn't enjoy that vehicle either. I have a feeling that I would enjoy a Civic Si with good 6 speed manual, more than a M6 with SMG. Until now, I didn't think driving a manual transmission mattered that much to me. Crazy, eh? Anyone else feel the same way?

Can't wait to A) get my car back B) for its replacement to arrive.

Ed
Is it rerun season already?

I disagree, I think it depends upon the car.

S2000's Miatas, WRX's ----- in short, cars that actually require the driver to get something out of the engine fare really well with manuals, it's a lot of fun.

But cars with big displacement engines and a lot of torque are just a nuisance to drive around town with manual trannies, most of the time you're in 2nd or 3rd gear anyway.

I never liked BMW's manuals, the shifters are rubbery and vaque and the clutch take-up leaves a lot to be desired.

Ed
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 02:55 PM   #6
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11
I never liked BMW's manuals, the shifters are rubbery and vaque and the clutch take-up leaves a lot to be desired.
BMW manuals may not be ideal, but I'd take one over a slushie any day of the week. I would NOT want an auto car for my DD.

However http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showpo...1&postcount=72
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 03:06 PM   #7
TD
Founder emeritus

I'm pretty much in the camp of preferring a manual tranny Civic to any high-dollar hi-po slushie or wankermatic.

A rubbery and vague stick with vague clutch take-up is still infinitely preferable, IMO, to a slushie.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 03:13 PM   #8
dan
redefined

no, fun roads are more important
Old 02-24-2006, 03:15 PM   #9
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD
I'm pretty much in the camp of preferring a manual tranny Civic to any high-dollar hi-po slushie or wankermatic.

A rubbery and vague stick with vague clutch take-up is still infinitely preferable, IMO, to a slushie.
yup.

even though it is repetitive, it is still satisfying to me to drive a car "well", no matter the challenge. and by this, i mean, look at the CTS-V. it's got a great clutch but the shifter is clunky and with a 3.73 rear end and its weird gear ratios, it's really tough to be smooth in the car.

but it makes it even more satisfying to me to drive it to the nth degree and be smooth when i want to be and outright vicious during momentary lapses.

you might have some of those elements in an SMG equipped car --but you will never have those moments in an automatic equipped car. never.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 03:18 PM   #10
TD
Founder emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonoboy
no, fun roads are more important
Well, broing and or flat-out crappy roads are still more enjoyable when driving a stick.

As I've said before, I even prefer a stick in stop and go traffic.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote