carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 03-27-2008, 10:50 AM   #1
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Which SUV

We're down to two right at the moment, my wife really likes the Lexus RX350 AND the X3 - I'm trying to gently nudge her toward the BMW, but it's really her choice, and the Lexus ain't so bad.

Here's the thing, if we went with the Lexus, I'd want the performance package option - it's basically the premium package plus whatever suspension and tire bits Lexus deems "sporty" - this includes a height-adjustable suspension, which apparently helps the car overcome some of its tippiness and numbness.

We could buy a used RX400h (that's the hybrid version) which comes standard with the performance package for the same price as a new RX350 with the PP (it's next to impossible to find used 350's with the PP option) and get close to, or beyond 30 MPG around town.

We're going to go look at and drive the hybrid model next week, Lexus of Westport has an 07 with 20k on it.

The steering in the X3's a bit heavy (for my wife), but there is an option BMW refers to as "servotronic" - which is speed sensitive power steering. Again, finding this used is very difficult (only 10 percent of X3's have this option) so we might have to go new on this.

Both the X3 and the Lexus, would run us around 40k new and the hybrid Lexus the same (or a bit less).

Stay tuned......

Ed
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 10:55 AM   #2
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Btw,

I borrowed my father in-law's Infiniti M35x to drive my wife to NYC for her back appointment (we needed the comfy seats) - she really liked it!!!

So a sedan or wagon, such as the 528ix isn't out of the question.

The M35's a nice drive, but its suspension on NYC roads isn't as well sorted as you'd expect and it has an annoyingly numb on-center feel, I had to constantly correct at the wheel (could be it needs an alignment).

But by far and away, it's the gas mileage that really stinks with this car - we averaged 16

The seats are awesome and it's an easy car to get in and out of.

Ed
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 11:22 AM   #3
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
If you even considered the infiniti, drive the a5 - just for kicks. It's really comfortable (you know about my back/leg pain) and handles very well. Light steering too... For suv's, you probably can't go too wrong with bmw, lexus, acura. Not a huge lex/toy fan, but my realtor took me around in her rx350. It was quite comfy, but I don't think it handled bumps so well. Over our urban cratered roads, it took of the ripples but made me a bit sick on the big stuff. Ymmv.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 11:27 AM   #4
nate
Oh, are they?

Carmudgeonly Ride: S4
Get the Lexus.

They are very reliable. Nicer and more comfortable than the BMW.

There regular suspension is just fine. Most people that buy Lexus SUVs do so for comfort, so I just don't understand the point of a "sport" suspension option. I doubt it is very sporty anyway. I've only driven the '07 FWD RX350. It is perfectly fine car. Your wife will probably like it.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:36 AM   #5
ff

As much as I'd like to suggest the X3, and only because it's the car I'd choose, I think that the Lexus is going to be a better all-around vehicle to own for the typical car buyer and for the money.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:12 PM   #6
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
We're down to two right at the moment, my wife really likes the Lexus RX350 AND the X3 - I'm trying to gently nudge her toward the BMW, but it's really her choice, and the Lexus ain't so bad.

Here's the thing, if we went with the Lexus, I'd want the performance package option - it's basically the premium package plus whatever suspension and tire bits Lexus deems "sporty" - this includes a height-adjustable suspension, which apparently helps the car overcome some of its tippiness and numbness.

We could buy a used RX400h (that's the hybrid version) which comes standard with the performance package for the same price as a new RX350 with the PP (it's next to impossible to find used 350's with the PP option) and get close to, or beyond 30 MPG around town.

We're going to go look at and drive the hybrid model next week, Lexus of Westport has an 07 with 20k on it.

The steering in the X3's a bit heavy (for my wife), but there is an option BMW refers to as "servotronic" - which is speed sensitive power steering. Again, finding this used is very difficult (only 10 percent of X3's have this option) so we might have to go new on this.

Both the X3 and the Lexus, would run us around 40k new and the hybrid Lexus the same (or a bit less).

Stay tuned......

Ed
I hate Toyotas, and Lexuses bore the piss out of me. The RX350 is the height of automotive somnambulance, and I wouldn't buy one under any set of circumstances that I can imagine.

That said, it's an almost unassailably nice car for people who don't give two shits about driving, which is almost everyone. I'd have a very hard time recommending an X3 over the Lexus for 9 out of 10 people that ask me what car to buy.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 09:19 AM   #7
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I hate Toyotas, and Lexuses bore the piss out of me. The RX350 is the height of automotive somnambulance, and I wouldn't buy one under any set of circumstances that I can imagine.

That said, it's an almost unassailably nice car for people who don't give two shits about driving, which is almost everyone. I'd have a very hard time recommending an X3 over the Lexus for 9 out of 10 people that ask me what car to buy.
yeah....i feel the same way. but people with the RX400h are seeing real 26mpg in the city. it's a despicable sort of vehicle that represents everything that grinds on me during the course of a commute....but if it is comfortable, which is the stated purpose of this mission, i'd say get that one.

it will have a lot more midrange power over the x3 and ultimately, likely have both a better dealership experience as well as long term reliability.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 10:01 AM   #8
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post

FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 10:19 AM   #9
clyde
Chief title editor

My parents have had an RX350 for about six months. They love it. I'm sure they would have been very unhappy had they gotten an X3 (or even an X5) instead.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 10:59 AM   #10
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
My parents have had an X3 for about 4 months. They love it. I'm sure they would have been just as happy had they gotten an RX instead.

Although, after driving the X3 my father had no interest in checking out anything else since it is basically identical to his 3 series (which he loves) but with a slightly higher seating position.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote