carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 03-02-2007, 11:35 PM   #1
armaq
Jaded

Carmudgeonly Ride: 1984 Schwinn Madison
TVR to be acquired by American businessmen

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto...ndustry/35708/

So that means we in the US might be able to buy a Bertone-built TVR with a Ricardo assembled Speed Six. SWEET!!

I love the Sagaris. Not the looks (although there's nothing wrong with it, for what it is), but the idea of a lightweight minimalism sports car with no BS electronics and a 400hp straight-6 sounds like heaven.

I hope they tone the exterior down a bit, get rid of the fake fender vents and the spoiler, but keep the basic shape. I've seen one in London, the lines reminded me of the 250GTO. The US car will probably get stuff like airbags, ABS and other things a sane car would have, but it's still not likely to weigh more than 3000lbs.

Would you guys consider something like that for under $80k?
armaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 11:45 PM   #2
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by armaq View Post
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto...ndustry/35708/

So that means we in the US might be able to buy a Bertone-built TVR with a Ricardo assembled Speed Six. SWEET!!

I love the Sagaris. Not the looks (although there's nothing wrong with it, for what it is), but the idea of a lightweight minimalism sports car with no BS electronics and a 400hp straight-6 sounds like heaven.

I hope they tone the exterior down a bit, get rid of the fake fender vents and the spoiler, but keep the basic shape. I've seen one in London, the lines reminded me of the 250GTO. The US car will probably get stuff like airbags, ABS and other things a sane car would have, but it's still not likely to weigh more than 3000lbs.

I've always been intrigued by the TVR brand, I especially like how they're (were?) hand-made and feature high grade leathers and beautifully machined metals inside. The TVR's I've read up on had virtually no plastics in the interior.

Things aren't looking so good for them though, they've gone through a bad cycle with a young Russian owner and one wonders if the Britishness of the car will remain intact - let's hope they still build 'em the same way and people will buy enough of them.

Ed
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 11:49 PM   #3
armaq
Jaded

Here's some info on the Sagaris, in case some of you have only known TVR in the news.

The car is powered by TVR's own Speed Six engine, which is what BMW should have put in the new M3. It's a 4.0L, 400hp/350ft lbs, 8000rpm all-aluminum DOHC inline-6, with individual throttle bodies and dry sump. In the handling department: Noble tuned double-wishone suspension all around, LSD, and a cage that's integrated into the chassis. In its current form, with a 5-speed 'box, it weighs in at 2400lbs, does 0-60mph in 3.7s and tops at 160mph.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:52 PM   #4
dan
redefined

everyone I've seen is too ugly to own
dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 11:59 PM   #5
armaq
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
I've always been intrigued by the TVR brand, I especially like how they're (were?) hand-made and feature high grade leathers and beautifully machined metals inside. The TVR's I've read up on had virtually no plastics in the interior.
I was also amazed when I heard everything on their cars was designed and made by themselves. I've actually sat in a 350C at Gatwick airport in London a few years ago, it was stunning to look at. Quality has always been a problem for them, but like you said, at least they used quality materials.

I really hope they could survive and get it right this time. For used 996 GT3 money, I'd seriously consider a Sagaris.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:06 AM   #6
ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by armaq View Post
but the idea of a lightweight minimalism sports car with no BS electronics and a 400hp straight-6 sounds like heaven

If I was in the market for a car of that cost, then oh hell yes. Absolutely.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 12:21 AM   #7
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
drool . . .

Ever since I saw Tiff Needel and the TVR Tuscon on Top Gear I've liked those cars. They look good, they go good, and they sound good, really really good.

Damn, I need to dig up that video again and watch it. It's great.
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 12:45 AM   #8
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
Trying to find Tiff's video segment. Until then, some other videos:

5th Gear runs Tuscan2 vs. Sagaris around their track.

Tiff in a Tuscan doing stunts (patience, it's cool), but not the vid I'm looking for.
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 12:23 PM   #9
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
i think TVR makes cool cars.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 12:24 PM   #10
GSR13
Realist

Carmudgeonly Ride: Honda S2000
I actually like the looks of the Sagari. I think the car is brilliant, even the rear end.

Saw it on Top Gear when Clarkson reviewed it, and his comments were very positive about the car. Apparently, with Noble tuning the suspension the car isn't nearly as frightening to drive as the previous cars. He also stated, whether true or not, the "fake" vents in the front fenders were real, they just found it threw debris into the windscreen, so they filled them in.

It seems a shame that the kid from Russia bought them, was part of creating the Sagari, and is now putting the company up for sale.
GSR13 is offline   Reply With Quote