carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 04-01-2006, 12:59 AM   #1
armaq
Jaded

Carmudgeonly Ride: 1984 Schwinn Madison
Which BMW factory seats would you choose? Need recommandation.

I'm considering getting some better seats for my E36 M3/4.

I currently have the original factory M seats, which are actually the regular E36 sport seats, not the Vader type as found in the coupe. I'm 5'11, and I'm used to the upright seating position with the seatback all the way up.

My biggest problem with the seat is that it kills my lower back after about 40 minutes, and I drive between Houston and Austin a lot (3 hour drive). Also the seat provides almost no lumbar support, I always find myself sliding from side to side. And the headrest, you can't really rest your head on it no matter how you adjust it, unless you raise your chin, because it's too far back.

I did some research, and these are my options:

A. E36 M3 coupe Vader seats. They are probably the coolest looking seats BMW has ever put in a car. They provide more side support, and from my experience with them, they seem to have better lower back support as well. But I've heard many complaints from coupe owners, a lot of them actually prefer my seats over the Vaders. They are also very heavy, about 60lbs a piece. There are lots of them for sale, but the ones I want (black leather, power, heat and in mint condition) are hard to come by. Cost: around $800-1000 per pair.

B. E46 sport seats. This is the part where I need to hear what you guys have to say. I don't have a lot of seat time in an E46 w/ SS, but I remember I really liked the seat last time I drove one (330i ZHP). THey don't look out of the place in an E36 either, I actually think they'd look pretty cool in my car. The install is almost plug and play and I could have lumbar support. There are plenty of them on the market, a lot of them in near new condition and can be bought for less than $800.

C. E46 M3 seats. I've driven the E46 M3 twice, with a total seat time less than 40 minutes. While I was driving, I was busy enjoying the S54 and paid no attention to the seat. Is there a huge improvement over the regular sport seats? Personally, I don't care for their looks: bulky and sofa-like. But if they are actually a much better seat, I would consider them. They are not rare, but demand a premium: $1200-1500 for a pair.

D. Recaro Sport Topline. They are probably the best street seats on the market, but I don't really want to go aftermarket. I like to keep the interior as stock looking as possible. I've sat in a Recaro Sport before, and was impressed by the quality and options: power, heat and vent. They are also very light, but would set me back $3000+.

I'm unlikely to go with option D, but if you know a better value aftermarket seat, please let me know. As for the other 3 options, I'm having a hard time to decide. So please let me know what you think. Thanks in advance!
armaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 01:19 AM   #2
armaq
Jaded

Please excuse the typo in the title. It's 12am here...
Old 04-01-2006, 01:24 AM   #3
Jon
Getting Old

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2013 e92 M3
While the Vaders are great seats, for me the E46 Sport seat with adjustable
lumbar were better (in my 328Ci Sport/Premium).

Edit: I have a pretty serious lower back problem (degenerative disc disorder - L5S1
lumbar), so I am uber-sensitive to car seats. The E39 Sport seats are great too...
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 08:29 AM   #4
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
I think the e46 sport seats are near perfect--even without lumbar (I don't have the premium package in my 330i).
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 09:43 AM   #5
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i
I think the e46 sport seats are near perfect--even without lumbar (I don't have the premium package in my 330i).
I think they are great (particularly in my Alcantara/cloth config as you don't slide). I remember the E46 M3 seats to be great from sitting in them at showrooms, but not worth the premium, IIRC.

The seats that have really impressed me (though they aren't an option for you) are the new 997/987 Sport Seats. They felt snug all the way to the shoulder area. That is one place where my E46 seats don't feel very snug. The upper backrest is pretty flat.

My $0.02.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 10:04 AM   #6
JST

I've had two E46s with sport seats, an E46 M3, and an E36 M3 convertible (which has the same seats your car has, rather than the 'vaders).

I didn't think that there was any particular difference between the M3 seats and the E46 sport seats. Both provide acceptable side bolstering and firm cushions. I prefer either to the E36 M3 seats, though I continue to think that the leather that they used in the E36 feels nicer, thicker, and of higher quality than that used in the E46 M. The E46 seats seem to offer firmer support, with less "sinking in" to the seat.

My M3 didn't have the adjustable side bolsters--having driven an M3 that does have them, I would say that they are a very nice addition. Not sure if you could get those to work in your car, but if you could, that would be the only reason to go with E46 M3 seats over the normal sport seats.

Of all of them, my favorite are the seats in the ZHP I have currently, just because the cloth/alcantara combo is SOOO much nicer than leather in basically all weather conditions. But cloth/alcantara would probably look weird in your car.

One other thing to keep in mind about the Vaders--I really dislike not having a forward/backward adjusting head restraint, both for comfort and safety reasons. The Vaders look cool, but the head restraint would bother me.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 11:13 AM   #7
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
the vaders definetely look cool I dont think our E46 sport seats are that supportive but at least they are comfortable. I would go with some recaros for support but not sure which ones.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 04:23 PM   #8
armaq
Jaded

Thanks for the replies guys. I really appreciate it.

I'm leaning towards the E46 sport seats at this point: very good seats and cheaper than either the E46 M seats or the Vaders. They look great, too, IMO. I can probably get a pair for $700-800, and sell my current ones for $400-500. I think it's worth it for the improvement.

I too like the Nappa leather used in the E36, I will probably have an upholstery shop redo the E46 seats in Nappa, and put the tri-color stripes from my M seats on. My other plan is to get the ZHP cloth seats (which I love), and redo the entire interior (matching rear seat, alcantara headliner and door panels)

Now, the question is, is there any reason why I shouldn't get the E46 sport seats?
Old 04-01-2006, 04:32 PM   #9
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML
I dont think our E46 sport seats are that supportive
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 06:13 PM   #10
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by armaq
Thanks for the replies guys. I really appreciate it.

I'm leaning towards the E46 sport seats at this point: very good seats and cheaper than either the E46 M seats or the Vaders. They look great, too, IMO. I can probably get a pair for $700-800, and sell my current ones for $400-500. I think it's worth it for the improvement.

I too like the Nappa leather used in the E36, I will probably have an upholstery shop redo the E46 seats in Nappa, and put the tri-color stripes from my M seats on. My other plan is to get the ZHP cloth seats (which I love), and redo the entire interior (matching rear seat, alcantara headliner and door panels)

Now, the question is, is there any reason why I shouldn't get the E46 sport seats?
If you are going to get the re-upholstered, that would take care of any non-OEM look the Recaros would have. At the same time, maybe re-upholstering the Recaros would be budget-busting.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote