carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 02-23-2019, 03:40 AM   #1161
Alan
Carmudgeon

Good news !! Glad to hear you have your car back and interested in hearing how you feel about the work they did as you get t know your car again.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 09:44 AM   #1162
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
I bet. Glad your saga is finally over!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
Glad it's finally home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Congrats! Tough months, but this way you get the hit of new ownership twice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Amazing! Hope you dont wake up in morning to find it was a dream. Unless it's the whole thing was a dream. That would be okay.

All this, except I fear the saga isn't over yet. Best of luck with the additional claims. I don't know how the legal system works in Ohio, but here in SC the are commercials every 15 minutes on TV with lawyers who would be happy to take on your case (if this had happened in SC)
Old 02-23-2019, 10:15 AM   #1163
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
I know. The insurance saga is just now beginning. The other party's insurance wouldn't even start talking about diminished value until the car was returned...
Old 02-23-2019, 12:27 PM   #1164
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
I know. The insurance saga is just now beginning. The other party's insurance wouldn't even start talking about diminished value until the car was returned...
At the very least, you have a loss-of-use case, I'd imagine. Glad you have something fun to drive while you deal with all the insurance nonsense...
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 02:04 PM   #1165
ZBB
Relic

I took my car to the car wash today to wash off the road salt from this week's storms…

Found out that the trunk leaks -- somewhere around 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup of water leaked in...

Pretty sure its related to the repairs by the body shop. I have a few other finishing items for them to complete, and they are just looking to find a slot to bring it in.

The good news is that I'm traveling most of the next 3 weeks, so it will be pretty easy to drop it off and let them work on it, then pick it up when I get back. I may be able to drop it off this Fri evening, and pick it up the following Sat.
Old 03-09-2019, 02:40 PM   #1166
JST

Hope you don’t need more parts!
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 02:40 PM   #1167
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Ugh, that stinks. It makes sense that it would be related to the accident.

I wonder if it's a seal that's not right, or if the trunk frame is bent so it no longer aligns?
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 04:25 PM   #1168
ZBB
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
Ugh, that stinks. It makes sense that it would be related to the accident.

I wonder if it's a seal that's not right, or if the trunk frame is bent so it no longer aligns?
The seals look OK. They were just wet on the inside portion of them after the carwash (along with some wet spots on the trunk floor carpet)...

Question for you and JST… How hard do you have to push the trunk closed to get it to latch? (First World Problem == I really got used to the powered hatch on the S…)

I noticed that I have to close it fairly hard to get it to latch. Softer closes = no latching. Soft does not mean gently setting it down so it purposely doesn't latch, just closing it with "normal" force (where it should latch)...

I'm thinking that the trunk needs to be adjusted so that its tighter against the seal. If so, that would fix the leaking and may fix the latching…

One of the other adjustments they need to do is align the rear driver's-side door -- the bottom sticks out beyond the front door by a good 3-4mm. Hard to notice until you look close. They said they can adjust it -- I'm guessing the trunk has similar adjustments on the hinge...

Last edited by ZBB; 03-09-2019 at 09:23 PM.
ZBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 06:06 PM   #1169
JST

Yeah my trunk isn’t odd in terms of closing force; feels the same as any other car. Sounds like an adjustment issue.

I will say one design flaw of the Model 3 v the S comes when it snows and you go to open the trunk—the snow slides unceremoniously off the back window into the trunk.

The hatch on the S meant snow would at least slide forward onto the roof of the car.

And before anyone says I should just clean it off...I was getting the scraper.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:05 PM   #1170
JST

Finally got around to test fitting my spare—it’s a 19” Hyundai Genesis unit. Fits perfectly and outer diameter is essentially identical to the stock wheels.