carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 04-16-2012, 07:16 AM   #31
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by lupinsea View Post
Wow... those interiors look dated.

I didn't think the Miata's interior was much to talk about but it's nice and clean, and works well in comparison.

In any case, while somewhat dated the interiors certainly wouldn't stop me from getting either one. Though, I do like the BRZ interior better. Is it worth the extra coin, especially considering it sounds like the Scion version will have a sportier suspension tune? Dunno.
true.

but the mx-5 interior is an expanse of (somewhat nice quality) black plastic.

the matte silver expanse in the BRZ covering the passenger airbag looks chintzy in person, i can tell from the picture because Subaru uses that a lot now in its cars and it's suboptimal looking.

does it matter to a driving enthusiast? no.

none of this crap matters if the car(s) can be had for less than 30,000.

the closer these cars get to 30,000, the more i'd just opt for a v6 mustang.

look at the interior on those cars.....they've gotten pretty nice.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:43 AM   #32
Pinecone
Carmudgeon

The Fiat Abarths are showing up at dealers. But in someone's infinite wisdom (did they hire people from BMW NA), the demo cars are 2 - 6 weeks out, and only customer cars are showing up.
1995 Alpine E36 M3 LTW
1990 Red/White Spec Racer
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:07 AM   #33
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post

the closer these cars get to 30,000, the more i'd just opt for a v6 mustang.

look at the interior on those cars.....they've gotten pretty nice.
Maybe I'm in the minority but I wouldn't even consider cross shopping the BR-Z, FR-S with a Mustang. Certainly wouldn't consider cross shopping a Mustang and an MX-5 either.

They are just such completely different cars.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:27 AM   #34
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Maybe I'm in the minority but I wouldn't even consider cross shopping the BR-Z, FR-S with a Mustang. Certainly wouldn't consider cross shopping a Mustang and an MX-5 either.

They are just such completely different cars.
Plus, the V6 Mustang? I mean, it's actually a surprisingly decent car, and there's a weird kind of cognitive dissonance driving a Mustang that has decent power but delivers it in a very cammy way and without the V8 soundtrack. But at the end of the day I would kick myself every time I started it for not getting the 8. Every time.

And while the Mustang has evolved into a pretty nice car to drive, it's way too big to give you any of the same sort of feedback that the Miata does. I assume the BR-Z will be the same story. The Mustang is satisfying, but with the V6 its not particularly *fun.* You need the 8 for that.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:24 PM   #35
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
true.

but the mx-5 interior is an expanse of (somewhat nice quality) black plastic.

the matte silver expanse in the BRZ covering the passenger airbag looks chintzy in person, i can tell from the picture because Subaru uses that a lot now in its cars and it's suboptimal looking.
It's a "piano black" swath of plastic in my era NC Miata. In the NC2's it has been colored a matte silver or something like that. Some guys will pop the piece out and wrap it in a carbon fiber look-alike sheet . . . or they will paint it, usually body color. But it's just a simple 3" wide band across the dash. Not some garish amount of it.

Honestly, I'd prefer not to have mine Piano Black (marketing for really shiny, easily scratched black plastic). But I'm not at the point of doing anything about it yet.

"Jeep is the only true American sports car*" - Enzo Ferrari

* Or something to that effect.
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:03 PM   #36
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by lupinsea View Post
It's a "piano black" swath of plastic in my era NC Miata. In the NC2's it has been colored a matte silver or something like that. Some guys will pop the piece out and wrap it in a carbon fiber look-alike sheet . . . or they will paint it, usually body color. But it's just a simple 3" wide band across the dash. Not some garish amount of it.

Honestly, I'd prefer not to have mine Piano Black (marketing for really shiny, easily scratched black plastic). But I'm not at the point of doing anything about it yet.
yeah my mazda 3 has something similiar. Was thinking about looking around to see if there was anything nicer to replace it with like real aluminum but havent bothered with it.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:12 PM   #37
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Plus, the V6 Mustang? I mean, it's actually a surprisingly decent car, and there's a weird kind of cognitive dissonance driving a Mustang that has decent power but delivers it in a very cammy way and without the V8 soundtrack. But at the end of the day I would kick myself every time I started it for not getting the 8. Every time.

And while the Mustang has evolved into a pretty nice car to drive, it's way too big to give you any of the same sort of feedback that the Miata does. I assume the BR-Z will be the same story. The Mustang is satisfying, but with the V6 its not particularly *fun.* You need the 8 for that.
112MPH speed limiter. No thanks.

Worse yet, the drivetrain really can't take high speeds.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:01 AM   #38
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post

the V6 mustang is a pretty natural competitor for the BR-Z, though. by pricepoint, footprint, space, etc.

i wouldn't buy a v6 mustang, either, but it seems natural to explore the space with some serious cowbell to give context for the BR-Z shoppers.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:32 AM   #39
Biggins
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 22 Tiguan, 11 328i
The only other car I "considered" (though not seriously) once I decided on a new car was the Hyundai Genesis coupe. I really liked the Genesis Coupe 4-cyl turbo, but I could not get over the styling and it was too much $. I did not even think about the Mustang (V6 or V8).

The waiting time for my FRS is killing me... June seems so far away.

Terry: did you drive the regular Fiat 500 yet? If so, was it fast enough for merging onto the highway? I'm starting to see more and more 500s pop up in the city now, and their styling has really grown on me.
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:36 PM   #40
Pinecone
Carmudgeon

We did not drive a standard 500. Our experience with driving a 330 and then getting the M3 showed that can be a substantial difference.
1995 Alpine E36 M3 LTW
1990 Red/White Spec Racer
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote